Explorer Parade?

esbie11

Never been on RC before. What kind of parade do they have? Why is it such a big deal?[/quote]

How many times have you watched a parade on a ship? The Voyager and Freedom class ships have a large promenade area down the middle of the ship, kind of a "street of shops". The parades take place there. People line the "street" to watch just as you would a parade in your home town.

We sailed on the Explorer Holiday cruise 12/21 for 12 nights. The parades were the first night and the last night, both fairly late in the evening. I would guess that the 9 night trips would follow the same pattern, first and last. The entire entertainment staff participates, singers, dancers, ice skaters, CD staff and some regular staff who are not always that "enthusiastic." There were no stiltwalkers on the 12/21 sailing so I don't know if that has just been dropped or if some other crew members are being trained for that specialty ( it takes time to learn to clump up and down the promenade on a moving ship going at 20 + knots in rough seas and ducking the fixed bridges.)

The parades on the Explorer are not as good or as spectacular as those on the larger Freedom Class ships but still worthwhile going to. For best seats get there early at one of the pubs and when the staff ropes off the center porton of the promenade walkway to keep people out, move your chairs so no one can block your view.

The second parade, the Island Parade is better then the first parade.

i've never watched a parade on a ship, that's why i am asking about it and inquiring why it's a big deal that people would rush to get good seats.

Where in Rockland? We are Airmont.

In answer to your question, considering the conditions (moving and bouncing ship) the parades are great and the ice skating productions are unbelievable.

Archived