Jewelry Buying Tips for the Informed Cruiser

CaribbeanBlue

Here are a few shopping tips.

1. Research jewelry prices and qualities prior to your trip. There is a LOT of information available on the internet. An informed consumer always comes outahead.

2. Practice haggling prices with your family at home. Dont be shy. You aren't taking advantage or being rude. It's the way it's done here.

3. Here is a tip that REALLY works. Wear a t shirt from cruise-critic, or a ***** t shirt, or other travel boards etc. During the sale let the shop owner know you are vocal on the internet about travel and jewelry. Believe me, when I have a person contact me with a problem with a jewelry purchase and it was discussed online, I print out the info and bring it into the store managers office with me. It does carry weight.

4. Make all purchases with a credit card. You can get a discount by paying in cash but if there is a problem and you need a refund it can be a hastle. Our company works closely with the credit card companies prividing the documentation needed. If it's case of buyers remorse theres not a lot that can be done. If the item isn't what was promised or there is a problem with workmanship we can be helpful. In general we just want to be fair all around to everyone.

5. Ask what the return policy is of the company. The policy should be clearly printed out on the reciept. Remember that there is no law regarding returns, but a company that believes in it's merchandise will be confident and offer a return policy.

6. NEVER accept the stores appraisal of the item. They may be biased. Insist on documentation from an Independent Appraiser. In St Thomas our office does Independent Appraisals. ***** has a complete gemological lab staffed with GIA graduate Gemolists and Appraisers. We do not buy or sell jewelry of any kind. By getting your item checked prior to leaving the island all problems can be dealt with then and there. If your diamond comes with a report from one of the major labs our gemogist can check that the documentation matches the diamnd being purchased. Many shoppers will make the final sale contingent on evaluation of our Gemologist/Appraiser. Any jeweler who states this is NOT neccesary should cause a red flag to go off.

7. If you have problems in the islands contact the store first. Most of the time it is simple to resolve the problem. A merchant that values customers wants to keep you happy. Most pride themselves on repeat customers year after year. People won't come back if they bought 2nd rate merchandise or were treated badly.

8. If after contacting the store you still have problems

A. get all of your documentation togehter. B. Contact your crerdit card company. C. Contact the ***** office. D. Send letters to your cruiseline.

9. On a positive note: If you purchased an item, were happy and did well LET PEOPLE KNOW! Over the years we've done documentation for thousands of people who shopped well and got incredible deals. The number of problems was generally low. In most cases the problem was easily resolved with communication and documentation.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

There is a range of fees dependent on the individual needs of the consumer. Fees are dependent upon the time involved in the evaluation as wellas the instruments utilized.

Here are a few of our more popular services. To write them all down would take up a lot of space here.

Our most popular among cruisers is the verbal consultation. The gemologist/appraiser will examine the piece, make certain the diamonds are actually diamonds etc. This is for the customer who just wants to know "did I get a good deal" or "I just want to be certain these diamonds are real" This is a very informal evaluation and is actually a lot of fun. The cost of this is $20.00 per item. Remember this is a verbal consultation only.

We have detailed diamond report which are detailed reports of loose diamonds. They include cut, clarity, color and carat weight. Our office utilizes the gran colorimenter along with master stone sets to evaluate the color. The colorimeter is very acurate at color analysis. ***** is known for strict grading standards adhering to the GIA standards. This report includes a plot which is a "mapping" of any inclusions or feathers in your diamond. We also check for fracture filled diamonds or any other treatments which may affect value or stability. The price of this report is $50.00

Our Insurance documentation is the one most requested by customers overall. The report contains such information as 1) the content and weight of precious metals; 2) a detailed description of diamonds and gemstones (carat weight, cut, clarity, color, ); 3) a color photograph; and 4.) the appraised value of your jewelry. Appraisal valuations are based on current market values derived from a computerized networking system that constantly monitors prices through the industry and compares retail prices. The value of the diamonds and stones are that months value in the United States. Carigems documentation is accepted by the majority of major Insurance companies. The price of this documentation is $95.00. Yes it can be completed as you wait.

For those who do not already carry jewelry insurance ***** will supply you with the initial forms from Jewelers Mutual Insurance. You can fill in the information and drop it in the mail box a the end of the street. Your new jewelry purcahse will be covered from that day. Our comapny isnot affiliated with Jewelers mutual, we just provide this per customer request.

Many of the jewelers thru out the Caribbean have had their items evaluated already. If it comes with a report already it will have a tag marked CGI with a number that will match the report. The jewelers feel this helps both their sales associated (they know what they are selling) and also as a service to their customers.

A good thing to do is ask to see some of the items that come with CGI/***** certificates. It can make the comparing of different pieces a LOT easier.

Because diamonds can vary greatly in quality, it is a good idea to talk to an expert before making your purchase. ***** has a consultation service to educate you about diamonds and show you how to recognize the characteristics that give them their value. This knowledge will help you make an informed decision. This is a free service offered thru out the day to consumers.

The best time for this is early in the AM. We get quite a few coffee sipping shoppers early in the am prior to the stores opening who stop into the office to speak with the staff.

We don't accept paid advertisements, we won't be shoving a bunch of coupons at you, and we don't get a cut of any purchase you make.

• 2 months later...

Diamonds are always a good value for the money, especially in the larger sizes (3 carat and above)

You can find some really nice Emeralds at a fair price, especially if looking at loose gems and have them set. The stores will gladly put a loose gem in a semi mount for you. This broadens your jewelry options quite a bit. Most of the emeralds here come straight from Brazil or Colombia. The majority of emeralds sold in the US stores look anemic compared to these. A gain the larger the carat weight the better deal you will get.

A sure fire waya to get a bargain is to look for the pieces that have the older tags on them, frayed and worn. These are items which over the years have been over looked by shoppers and in general I've found that the prices have remained at that old price also. We appraised one necklace a few weeks ago that had a 5 year old tag on it. The jeweler was tired of looking at it in his case, the consumer was good at bargaining. It was a classic design that does NOT go out of style, diamonds don't wear out, it was a nice piece. This woman was smart and got the deal of a lifetime.

CaribbeanBlue

• 2 weeks later...

:confused: Hi: I have read your suggestions, I plan on using most of them when I arrive on Feb 23rd. I will be on a day sail most of the day, but will have at least 1 hour or so to shop. Was thinking of picking up a pair of emerald earings. Any particular store or vendor recommendation(s) would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

-K

I have always dealt with Mark at Celebrity Jewelers in Havensight Mall... Good deals and they are extremly reputable...I have purchased quite a few different pieces from him and have always been happy and satisfied...my last purchase was a 7 1/2 carat diamond tennis bracelet...it apprasied for almost 3 times what I purchased it for and I am constantly getting compliments on it...Mark also has nice watches...Have fun...I know I will when I see him in October :D

I am looking for a solitaire diamond ring...1.5 carat at least...what can I expect to pay for good quality (But not necessarily the best) also, my daughter wants an Aquamarine ring. I know NOTHING about this stone. What do I need to look for? I have purchased from Little Switzerland in the past and been satisfied with both price and quality.:)

Little Switzerland is a wonderful store and if you have purchased from them in the past they will offer you a good deal, they LOVE return customers.

I advise anyone who is seriously shopping for one particular item to contact the stores prior to your trip via email. Let them know what you are looking for, when you will be on island etc. By the time you arrive you will already have built a communication with your salesperson and they can have items set aside just for you. They will want to give you the best price possible to keep you as a customer.

CaribbeanBlue

Archived