Condition of Spirit vs. Pride and Legend

wripro

The last times I've been aboard the Pride the "training" has been intensive ~~always "meetings" and more "meetings." If I needed to visit with a Staff member I was told, "oh, I'm sorry, he's in a meeting...." My Stewardess had little free time as she was attending "meetings" and unavailable.

I've never been a complainer nor do I ever require attention, but I feel we Guests are the reason the ship is sailing ~~therefore our needs should be met.

I will continue sailing Seabourn and will continue booking voyages but will also be happy when our Yachts will be "meetings free.":p

Martita B.

I agree wholeheartedly with Mike on the quality of our room stewardess. Anna was the best we ever had. The food in 2 was terrific as well as the service. I love getting dressed up but we chose to go there for one of the formal nights because we had a much better time. The musicians were terrific and Ian was outstanding. The duo of Ian and Sam should have been recorded. The people we met were lovely, interesting and and a pleasure to be with.

Now if we could just improve the physical appearance we would be back to perfect.

One disturbing comment that a senior staff person made was that "if people want nicer surroundings they should book the Odyssey." I questioned whether this was a deliberate attempt to allow the Spirit to languish so that more people would book the new ships. I received no answer- sometimes silence is rather telling.

Mike, it was a pleasure meeting you and Helen and glad you arrived home safely as well.

Phyllis

Phyllis,

Whoever that senior staff person was who told you to book the Odyssey if we wanted nicer surroundings will be overboard if he/she tries to tell that to me.

As I see it the staff is not only serving guests, they are training the cadets. This means that they are effectively doing two jobs. Are they being paid two salaries? If not, there is probably resentment, and this has to translate into their primary duty which is to serve us. I bet there is also crowding in crew quarters as they have to house and feed all those extra people.

IMO Seabourn should have a separate facility to train the new crew. Set up facsimiles of a suite, part of the restaurant, verandah etc. in Miami and train them there. I know it costs money but they will lose clients if they continue to offer subpar service and allow their ships to deteriorate. Service is what SB sells.

I realize I may be getting a bit worked up but I am about to board the Spirit on February 14 for 22 days. For me anticipation has always been a huge part of my cruise and now that is mixed with anxiety. I paid top dollar and I expect top service and yes, surroundings for my money.

Hi all,

I just got back from 19 days on Pride - Ft Lauderdale to Valparaiso. We had 16 trainees onboard, and yes, you can tell the trainees apart from the 'regular' staff immediately, as they do look new and inexperienced, plus thier nametag says "trainee." They did shadow, and they were only turned loose on us when they seemed ready. The other staff were overseeing them closely, correcting mistakes quickly, and I didn't feel that it took anything away from my experience onboard. I felt that the trainees were on high alert, watching to see where they were needed and asking if we needed anything.

We all have been new at our job at some point in our lives, and no matter how much training in a mock training facility you have, you still have to have your first week on the job with the real guests.

wripro - I didn't see any resentment from other crew members for the added training they were doing, and most of the time it seemed as if the more senior crew enjoyed having them onboard - as they were assigned to do the jobs that aren't always the favorites, like putting new covers on the loungechair pads. Of course, I have never seen a crew member in a bad mood or showing any unhappiness either. (Which has not been my experience on SS or Regent)

We had 183 crew for 175 passengers (full ship - the trainees had 4 suites, plus lecturers & entertainers in the remaining suites), so I don't think anyone can honestly say that there aren't enough crew members onboard to take care of the passengers. It seemed to me that the 'service' officers where out and about as often as I have seen on other cruises.

The service was excellent most of the time. Yes, there were a few times that I had an empty coffee cup at breakfast. But that has also happened at 6 star resorts on land too.

Over the years, I personally have enjoyed seeing the 'new' crew members on later cruises and watching them rise in the ranks with promotions.

Seabourngirl,

Thanks for alleviating my concern on that count.

With four of the suites going to trainees, plus others to lecturers and entertainers I guess anyone who booked an A guarantee will surely be getting an upgrade.

I visited with friends Sat. who disembarked the Pride Jan 22nd.

They related to me that Chef's Walter's food was the best they've ever had on Seabourn ~~also with Lucca managing the dining room the service was "clockwork" and perfect!

I was happy to hear this ~~

MB

Well good news for wripro and 4 kitties. Just after Phyllis got off, there was an immediate re-vamping of everything. Custodial staff were outside our windows, scraping off the window edges and polishing the brass outside. The ship was washed down so that it was gleaming. Wallpaper on the 4th deck (and perhaps other decks too) were replaced wherever they couldn't be cleaned. Carpeting was shampooed and scrubbed, every bit of brass was polished. The age of the ship can't be disguised, but that doesn't bother me. I like that clubby" feeling as opposed to glitz. More later, as this is my last day in Hong Kong and Ivor is itching to get out of here.

Well good news for wripro and 4 kitties. Just after Phyllis got off, there was an immediate re-vamping of everything. Custodial staff were outside our windows, scraping off the window edges and polishing the brass outside. The ship was washed down so that it was gleaming. Wallpaper on the 4th deck (and perhaps other decks too) were replaced wherever they couldn't be cleaned. Carpeting was shampooed and scrubbed, every bit of brass was polished. The age of the ship can't be disguised, but that doesn't bother me. I like that clubby" feeling as opposed to glitz. More later, as this is my last day in Hong Kong and Ivor is itching to get out of here.

Thanks, Jagi!

I, like wripro, feel much better now. I had just booked three weeks on board the Spirit when I read Phyllis' concerns. :eek:

Eric G. did much to make me feel better about the whole thing!:)

I trust Seabourn to make this an unbelievable experience (just like 2007 & 2008).

With the economy being what it is, I certainly evaluated all of the competition carefully.

It came down to this for me:

a) Restaurant 2 - I love being able to dine outside and breathe in that fresh Mediterranean Air.

b) being able to dine when I want and with whom I want.

c) The Food. I love to try new things. I find Seabourn an excellent venue for experimenting. All food is of the highest quality, so you are pretty safe here. Some of my new favorite foods include: water buffalo steak (rare, please), baby octopus salad (where have you been all my life?), escargot,......etc. I wonder what will be new this year?

d) The Staff. After my first cruise in the Summer of 2007 on the Legend, I marveled at the skill of the Human Resources Dept. Whoever is in charge of choosing the staff has a real gift. The one common denominator of all of the Seabourn employees is that they are happy and their happiness & warmth shines through in all of their tasks.

e) I love that everything is included. Yes, we pay for it upfront, but if we want water from the fridge...it's free! It feels more like home!:D

f) I hate waiting on line for anything. In fact, I don't wait on lines, I would rather do without. Seabourn suits me perfectly in this regard.

g) We don't spend that much time in our suite, but I do love the size and amenities. The time spent in the suite is quality, as well.;)

Last, but not Least:

h) My fellow passengers are always interesting and fun to be with!

I asked this on another thread but have received no reply. I know Hottie had some problems with the condition of the Spirit on a recent cruise. Has anyone else sailed recently and felt the ship was looking tired and worn? Thanks.

Yes, we sailed in the Spirit for several weeks recently. The carpets are worn and stained in the public areas and on the stairways and often don't match. In the Amundsen Lounge many chairs were worn and needed new upholstery. However, the decks and railings were in great condition, as were the small balconies. The outside was in better condition than the inside public areas! The Horizon lounge leaked terribly when it rained and the floor was then covered in towels, not a good look!!

I was on the Spirit all of January. The first two weeks many people griped about the condition of the ship. I heard and saw the same things as Phyllis. Doubtless, this was on a lot of comment cards. On January 17, the cruise director, hotel manager, maitre de, and veranda manager returned from their vacations. January 18, on the 4th deck at least, The crew was shampooing the carpet for hours and outside our window scraping off the crud from the edges. Doubtless, this was going on on the other decks as well. Definitely, the carpet was brighter, except for the worn path between the cabin steward kitchen and the 8th deck elevator which was the room service route. January 19, I saw the trainees and new cadets cleaning and polishing the edges where the floor meets the wall and washing down the wallpaper under supervision. Polishing the corridor bannisters came next. On January 29, two days before we left, wallpaper was being replaced, presumably where it could not have been scrubbed clean. I don't know about the worn seats in the Amundsen lounge. I didn't see anything, but then I didn't look hard either. Same for the Horizon Lounge. I was up there for tea and trivia, but was more interested in the tea, trivia and socializing to pay close attention to anything else. There was little or no leakage reported in January, but then we had mainly good weather. I understand that the Christmas-New Year cruise was really rough all the way so I can't speak for that.

The itinerary is fabulous. I, personally, thought the ship's excursion to River Kwai and the half-day introduction to Saigon were terrific. Did Hanoi privately, heard mixed reviews--most complaints were about the long trip; Didn't do Cuchi tunnels or Mekong, but heard raves about both. Went to Hue in pouring rain so that put a damper on the trip. (Yes, pun intended).

Maybe I'm not as fussy as others--or perhaps I don't equate luxury with glitz. I couldn't get better service, food and personal attention anywhere else that I know. Will await the impressions of those on the Spirit in February and March.

P.S. Hi Phyllis and Mike. Loved spending time with you, Helen and Ed. Miss you all.

Judith

I think we simply cannot board any of the triplets any more expecting new looking furnishings or decor. The ships are all 20 years old or so (I know the Legend is only 17.) As long as the service and food quality hold up I am willing to look the other way if a chair is worn. However, sounds like they did a nice job cleaning up the Spirit after the negative comments here and for that I am grateful.

I think we simply cannot board any of the triplets any more expecting new looking furnishings or decor. The ships are all 20 years old or so (I know the Legend is only 17.) As long as the service and food quality hold up I am willing to look the other way if a chair is worn. However, sounds like they did a nice job cleaning up the Spirit after the negative comments here and for that I am grateful.

That's the spirit! One certainly wouldn't travel on Seabourn for the decor alone. (80s bland).

We saw it as a blank canvas.

I'm glad they cleaned up the deck 4 carpet. (from my earlier post that was the only thing we really noticed).

To anwer your question to Medmar, they were onboard for another 2 weeks after us, so left the ship about January 3rd.

To me it sounds like the ship had a little dip in quality control, then got it sorted out.

Have a great cruise!

Cheers,

Steve.

Archived