• Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

Towncar T,

Thank you so much for all the extraordinary suggestions! This also helps us when we walk to the Cavern Club Saturday night for a show. We're grateful that we can use your love of Liverpool to our advantage.

I'm going to give you my honest opinion here. You can take it or leave it, but I have to be honest with you.

Given that you don't dock until noon, I feel you are not going to get the best out of your visit by visiting Manchester. Don't get me wrong. Manchester is a fantastic city and I love going there. However, your timings mean that you will hardly get the chance to see anything.

I understand, as I recall, that this is a pilgrimage to Manchester to see Old Trafford. If that is the case then of course you have to do it, but I think that you won't really have time to do anything else. By the time you have reached the stadium it's going to be somewhere between 2 and 3pm in my estimation. After your tour of the stadium you will probably hit the peak time traffic. By the time you arrive back in Liverpool and returned your car, most of the main attractions will be closed.

You will only be in port for half a day and you will waste so much time travelling on the motorway with nothing much to see.

My honest advice to you would be to spend the day in Liverpool taking in as much as you can. Make a trip to Manchester on another visit with more time at your disposal to do it properly.

I say this only because I want you to make the most of your visit.

Whatever you decide, I'm very happy to help as much as I can.

T:)

Thank you so much for your honest opinion. I read this to my husband and he completely agrees. Another trip on our bucket list is a European trip to just go to soccer matches. So I will start over on my Liverpool planning and comb through your posts. If you're in Liverpool the day we dock, we'd love to meet up with you and buy you a pint!

Hope you are enjoying your Sunday. We are actually off to see the USA v Turkey match.

Thank you so much! Yes we will be on a ship which overnights in Liverpool. We are so happy to have 2 full days. We plan the Open and a little nightlife(any favorite pubs?) on Saturday then exploring the city on Sunday, and we don't leave until 9pm Sunday! So looking forward to our visit!

Thank you agin,

Cheryl

Great. You will have so much time to see everything that you want to. I'm not a drinker, so pubs are not my thing. However, there are lots of them around, both old and new. There's the Cavern Club of course. Another might be the Bee Hive in Paradise Street, which seems very traditional, as is the Caernarvon Castle. So many to choose from!:)

Thank you so much for your honest opinion. I read this to my husband and he completely agrees. Another trip on our bucket list is a European trip to just go to soccer matches. So I will start over on my Liverpool planning and comb through your posts. If you're in Liverpool the day we dock, we'd love to meet up with you and buy you a pint!

Hope you are enjoying your Sunday. We are actually off to see the USA v Turkey match.

Remind me of the date again :)

Towncar T,

Thank you so much for all the extraordinary suggestions! This also helps us when we walk to the Cavern Club Saturday night for a show. We're grateful that we can use your love of Liverpool to our advantage.

My pleasure! Having just played at the Cavern Club, it's definitely a place to visit. We had a blast, and so did the audience. Enjoy!:)

We will be overnight in Liverpool on July 19 and 20 and can't wait! I just spent a great deal of time on this thread and thank everyone for the incredible information! I have one additional question. We are going to the British Open at royal Liverpool on Saturday July 19. Would train be the best way to travel there? If so would it be available from Line Street Station? Thank you again for the wealth if information provided here! :)

Cheryl

And just one thing. It's not The British Open. It's The Open Championship. ;):D

Edited by Towncar T

As someone who has just played The Cavern Club, as I did recently, I think if you are a Beatles fan then a Beatles tour is a great idea. As far as I know there are a number of companies that do it but I have no preference, never having done it myself. I think an organised tour is better than a self-guided one if you want to do all of the sights outside the city centre, but if you are happy just to see the city centre sights then there is plenty to see under your own steam. I think I posted a possible walking tour route earlier in this thread, but I can't swear to it.:)

Towncar T, will you be playing at the Cavern Club when we're there, July 19th? In the evening we want to walk to the Club for the show. Would you follow the same route that you suggested for the daytime walk? All your recommendations have been so helpful and we really appreciate all your insights.

Towncar T, will you be playing at the Cavern Club when we're there, July 19th? In the evening we want to walk to the Club for the show. Would you follow the same route that you suggested for the daytime walk? All your recommendations have been so helpful and we really appreciate all your insights.

Hi. No I won't be at the Cavern that day. We played a one-off gig there as part of the International Pop Overthrow Festival last month.

http://internationalpopoverthrow.com/schedules/ipo-2014-schedules/

And yes, I'd follow that same route, although you could also go up Water Street, admiring the 1754 Town Hall as you go past. Along Dale Street for a bit, then you turn right into North John Street. Matthew Street will then be on your left. Either way, it is a ten minute stroll from the ship.:)

Hi. No I won't be at the Cavern that day. We played a one-off gig there as part of the International Pop Overthrow Festival last month.

http://internationalpopoverthrow.com/schedules/ipo-2014-schedules/

And yes, I'd follow that same route, although you could also go up Water Street, admiring the 1754 Town Hall as you go past. Along Dale Street for a bit, then you turn right into North John Street. Matthew Street will then be on your left. Either way, it is a ten minute stroll from the ship.:)

Sorry you won't be playing that night. Thank you for the alternate directions too.

Thank you so much! Yes we will be on a ship which overnights in Liverpool. We are so happy to have 2 full days. We plan the Open and a little nightlife(any favorite pubs?) on Saturday then exploring the city on Sunday, and we don't leave until 9pm Sunday! So looking forward to our visit!

Thank you agin,

Cheryl

Just a bit of further advice about The Open. Here is a link to the spectator advice page, which I think is quite useful.

http://www.theopen.com/en/Information/SpectatorAdvice.aspx

In common with most major sporting events, the price of food and drink on the course is, in my opinion, quite extortionate. You might want to think about stocking up on food and drink at a supermarket and taking that into the event with you. There are no rules against taking your own food and drink in. Just a thought, as it can be a long day at The Open and even if you're not bothered about the high prices, there are bound to be long lines for food at the concessions. Just a thought. :)

We are planning our Liverpool visit since our soccer plan did not work out. I booked a three hour Beatle Tour to start our day. We will complete that around 3:30pm. Since we don't leave until 11pm, any thoughts for dinner and early evening activities? And what would be the best way to get back to the ship?

We are planning our Liverpool visit since our soccer plan did not work out. I booked a three hour Beatle Tour to start our day. We will complete that around 3:30pm. Since we don't leave until 11pm, any thoughts for dinner and early evening activities? And what would be the best way to get back to the ship?

There are scores of choices for dinner (assuming you aren't having dinner on the ship). You can eat at a high end restaurant with an amazing view over the city to a fast food restaurant, and everything in between. Indian, Chinese, Italian, British and even American styles are all here. What do you prefer?

I'm not sure of the date you are in the city, but if you want to meet up and say hello, I can probably be in the city by about 6 pm if it's a Monday or Tuesday and earlier on most other days.

As for evening activities, I will have a think, but what sort of stuff do you like? Shows? Music? Getting back to the ship won't be a problem. One of the good things about Liverpool is that you're never very far from the river.:)

There are scores of choices for dinner (assuming you aren't having dinner on the ship). You can eat at a high end restaurant with an amazing view over the city to a fast food restaurant, and everything in between. Indian, Chinese, Italian, British and even American styles are all here. What do you prefer?

I'm not sure of the date you are in the city, but if you want to meet up and say hello, I can probably be in the city by about 6 pm if it's a Monday or Tuesday and earlier on most other days.

As for evening activities, I will have a think, but what sort of stuff do you like? Shows? Music? Getting back to the ship won't be a problem. One of the good things about Liverpool is that you're never very far from the river.:)

We would love to get together and meet! We'll be in Liverpool on Monday, July 14. As far as our tastes, we like simple casual food and restaurants. I'd love a suggestion for a nice pub where we could relax and enjoy Liverpool more like a local. We like to sightsee, but we really like to sit back and enjoy each place we visit.

We would love to get together and meet! We'll be in Liverpool on Monday, July 14. As far as our tastes, we like simple casual food and restaurants. I'd love a suggestion for a nice pub where we could relax and enjoy Liverpool more like a local. We like to sightsee, but we really like to sit back and enjoy each place we visit.

I will probably be working that day (ironically, in Manchester!) but I can get into town maybe around 6pm.

I'll have a think about food spots for you. Maybe some others can chime in here too, as I don't get to many pubs in Liverpool these days.:)

OK I have an idea. Email me at towncart at hotmail dot co dot uk :)

• 2 weeks later...
I will probably be working that day (ironically, in Manchester!) but I can get into town maybe around 6pm.

I'll have a think about food spots for you. Maybe some others can chime in here too, as I don't get to many pubs in Liverpool these days.:)

Why not Try "The Liverpool" next to James street Station. Good Food and Cheap. They stop serving food at 6pm sharp.

They even have "Scouse" on the menu.:D

Why not Try "The Liverpool" next to James street Station. Good Food and Cheap. They stop serving food at 6pm sharp.

Sounds like a man who knows! Cheers Clarky! :) I don't know the Liverpool, but anywhere that has scouse on the menu is usually pretty good. For anyone that doesn't know, scouse is a sort of meat and vegetable stew (there is no official recipe and everyone's 'mam' makes it differently). It is a dish very much associated with Liverpool and it gives us our nickname of 'Scousers.' And by the way scouse rhymes with house ;)

So who's cruising into Liverpool this year and what dates are you in port?:)

Hi, we are coming in on the Ruby Princess Saturday July 26th. We are in port from 10am - 7:30pm.

I understand the Giants will be displayed/roaming around during our visit and HOHO bus system may not be operating.

Any suggestions for us would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds good. I jotted it down for a lunch spot. Thanks!