• See a soccer game
    • Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

We had a great Beatle tour with http://www.pooloflifetours.com in 2013.

I talked to some passengers who had taken the Princess Beatle tour and asked did they see Ringo's house, she replied, it was pointed out to us as we drove by. As they were in a big coach they did not get up close as we did since we were in a small van. We got out of the van a few times to see different places.

We had a couple true Beatle fans in a our van and we all would highly recommend this tour.

This is the Beatle tour I took.

Arriving August 16th, 2015 in Liverpool via Cruise Ship. My husband and I are desperate in trying to find a Beatles tour that includes the Casbah Coffee Club. We know we are way late in booking and lots of tour groups are already full. Would anyone have a suggestion for us? Marilyn

I found this site that does a tour including the Casbah. I have no idea how good they are, but you can contact them to see if they have a place available. Good luck!! The Casbah tour looks like it is called the 'Macca'😀

http://fab4tours.co.uk/index.php/prices

• 2 weeks later...
I found this site that does a tour including the Casbah. I have no idea how good they are, but you can contact them to see if they have a place available. Good luck!! The Casbah tour looks like it is called the 'Macca'

http://fab4tours.co.uk/index.php/prices

Hi Towncar, you set up a very popular thread! I've found it hard to work through all the pages so forgive me if someone has asked this...

I'm visiting Liverpool for a night after flying back from Belfast the previous day, arriving early evening and was hoping to catch a train to London early afternoon the following day. Ive booked 30 James street. (the old White Star Headquarters) Looks really over the top and completely outrageous...but i thought it might be fun... do you know the hotel? Any suggestions for a particular room? The Titanic theme appealed to me and my warped sense of humour and as Im spending the previous day in Belfast at the Titanic Museum I thought i ought....

Also for a morning in your fair city....what do you suggest? Not particularly interested in the beatles... (duck for flaming)...but soaking up some maritime atmosphere sounds about right....

Watched the city during the live streaming of the Cunard visits recently, the city looks fantastic.

regards Roscoe

Edited by roscoe39

I'm not sure where our Princess ship will dock in April of 2016.

It seems there are several docks...are they close together?

Is walking to the Beatles museum close to the pier doable?

or is there a shuttle?

THANKS

Liverpool at one time had the longest unbroken line of docks anywhere in the world, but your ship will dock at the Pier Head, which is right in the centre of the action. There is more than one Beatles Museum, but if you mean the one at Albert Dock then this is about a 5-10 minute walk from the ship and is easily reachable on foot unless you have mobility issues. If you get a cup of coffee and read through this thread, you'll get a flavour of what you can do from the ship. Liverpool is a very accessible city for cruise passengers. :) If you have any more questions after that, then just post them on here :)

Hi Towncar, you set up a very popular thread! I've found it hard to work through all the pages so forgive me if someone has asked this...

I'm visiting Liverpool for a night after flying back from Belfast the previous day, arriving early evening and was hoping to catch a train to London early afternoon the following day. Ive booked 30 James street. (the old White Star Headquarters) Looks really over the top and completely outrageous...but i thought it might be fun... do you know the hotel? Any suggestions for a particular room? The Titanic theme appealed to me and my warped sense of humour and as Im spending the previous day in Belfast at the Titanic Museum I thought i ought....

Also for a morning in your fair city....what do you suggest? Not particularly interested in the beatles... (duck for flaming)...but soaking up some maritime atmosphere sounds about right....

Watched the city during the live streaming of the Cunard visits recently, the city looks fantastic.

regards Roscoe

Hi Roscoe. Yes I know the hotel, but like many locals, I haven't yet been there. It is definitely on my 'to do' list though, as it's a pleasure to see the beautiful old building brought back to life. I would guess you've made a good choice there. :)

As for the morning, you are very close to the Maritime Museum, Pier Head (Mersey Ferry and the Museum of Liverpool) Tate Gallery, and the Albert Dock. I think you'll enjoy a look around that area. There's something for everyone there. Fortunately, Liverpool has far more to offer than our (mostly) favourite sons, The Beatles :confused ;) Enjoy your visit!

T

Edited by Towncar T

Hi Roscoe. Yes I know the hotel, but like many locals, I haven't yet been there. It is definitely on my 'to do' list though, as it's a pleasure to see the beautiful old building brought back to life. I would guess you've made a good choice there. :)

As for the morning, you are very close to the Maritime Museum, Pier Head (Mersey Ferry and the Museum of Liverpool) Tate Gallery, and the Albert Dock. I think you'll enjoy a look around that area. There's something for everyone there. Fortunately, Liverpool has far more to offer than our (mostly) favourite sons, The Beatles :confused ;) Enjoy your visit!

T

thanks Towncar much appreciated. On the ground advice is always more valuable than anon reviews..

regards Roscoe

thanks Towncar much appreciated. On the ground advice is always more valuable than anon reviews..

regards Roscoe

I think a bit of both is good. I'm no expert or travel guide by a long way. I just love my city and enjoy helping others to get the best out of their trip if I can. There are others much more knowledgeable than me.

I see you have been to Sydney and New Zealand. I'm off there myself at the end of the year. Looking forward to that.

Hope you have a great visit to Liverpool.

T

:)

I think a bit of both is good. I'm no expert or travel guide by a long way. I just love my city and enjoy helping others to get the best out of their trip if I can. There are others much more knowledgeable than me.

I see you have been to Sydney and New Zealand. I'm off there myself at the end of the year. Looking forward to that.

Hope you have a great visit to Liverpool.

T

:)

I live here in New Zealand and used to live in Sydney, Both fantastic parts of the world... if you have any questions Towncar, Im more than happy to return the advice....

regards Roscoe

I live here in New Zealand and used to live in Sydney, Both fantastic parts of the world... if you have any questions Towncar, Im more than happy to return the advice....

regards Roscoe

Hey Roscoe. I didn't realise you lived in New Zealand. I think I've got Sydney covered now, as we are only there for four nights. As for NZ, we are actually on a cruise around the islands with Celebrity, so I guess we'll just do some excursions and admire the scenery. I used to know a lot of Kiwis who played Rugby League over here, but I'm not in touch with any of them any more.

I'd be interested to know what your 'must-sees' would be if you have the time.

Let me know when you're in Liverpool and I'll say hello if I'm in the centre.

T

Hey Roscoe. I didn't realise you lived in New Zealand. I think I've got Sydney covered now, as we are only there for four nights. As for NZ, we are actually on a cruise around the islands with Celebrity, so I guess we'll just do some excursions and admire the scenery. I used to know a lot of Kiwis who played Rugby League over here, but I'm not in touch with any of them any more.

I'd be interested to know what your 'must-sees' would be if you have the time.

Let me know when you're in Liverpool and I'll say hello if I'm in the centre.

T

Bay of Islands, Definately the Hole in the Rock tour...

Auckland, must dos...Devonport, Waiheke Island, Kelly tarltons Undersea world, or the bungee jumping............

Dunedin, the gorge railway trip

Akaroa, wander around the town....(Christchurch is a bit sad and nothing led tot see sadly)

Tauranga, get to Rotorua if on offer....

not sure of your stops but these should get you started. Let me know if you want specifics and I can fill you in on the NZ thread.

Be very glad to help...regards Roscoe

I posted this on another thread to help with some ideas when visiting Liverpool for a day. As Liverpool is becoming an increasingly popular cruise destination I thought I'd give it its own thread. It's my home city and I'm very proud of it. I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning Liverpool as best I can. In the meantime, here are some suggestions:

First of all, I am not a tour guide. I’m just someone that loves the city of Liverpool. I have lived and worked here virtually all of my life. I am also passionate about cruising and hope to help some of my fellow cruisers to enjoy my city. There is a good informative website at http://www.visitliverpool.com/

I am working on the basis that your ship docks at 7am, but that you won’t come ashore until at least 8.30 to 9am. Remember that Liverpool is a working city and that you’ll be arriving on a normal work day. The Pier Head where you dock is in the business district, so when you come ashore there will be lots of people arriving for work.

I am pretty sure that the first ferry tour is at 10am (before then it’s just a working ferry) and the Maritime Museum doesn’t open until 10am. I’d suggest that you enjoy the waterfront, which is a world heritage site and hopefully the building work that has scarred it during the whole of 2008 will be completed by July.

If you look around you will see the Titanic memorial, on which can still be seen signs of bomb damage. It doesn’t have Titanic named anywhere on it. http://www.titanic-titanic.com/titanic_memorial-liverpool_engineers.shtml

The three buildings you see are called the ‘Three Graces’ and I believe that you can access the entrance hall of each. Don’t worry in case they are not open to the public. This is England. If they ask you to leave they’ll be very polite. The Liver (pronounced Lie –ver) building is my favourite. Check out the Liver birds on top. Legend says that if they fly away then a great catastrophe will befall the city. They’re still there despite Hitler’s best efforts.

For anyone, like me, with an interest in history, there’s an interesting plaque, built into a wall on the left of the Pier Head as you look towards the buildings. It commemorates more than a million American soldiers who passed through the port during the second world war on their way to free Europe. We owe those boys an immense debt and I often wonder how many of them didn’t make it home. The plaque is relatively small and you may have to look for it, but stop by, take a photo and remember what we owe them.

Although the Maritime Museum doesn’t open until 10am the buildings surrounding it are worth a visit themselves. This is the Albert Dock area. For anyone interested there is the Tate Art Gallery in the dock. This is one of the finest modern galleries outside London, so I’m told. Admission is free, but again it doesn’t open until 10am. Those of you more interested in art can substitute the Tate for the Maritime Museum. Or do both! http://www.tate.org.uk/liverpool/information/

After taking a look around the Pier Head and Albert Dock buildings, it should be time for the Maritime Museum to open at 10am. Again, admission is free, and inside you can find information and exhibits tracing the maritime history of this great city from its earliest beginnings right up to the present day. My favourite exhibit is the Titanic exhibition (remember Titanic was registered in Liverpool, the home of the White Star Line) or the ‘Liverpool in WW2’ area. You can spend up to two hours in here quite easily. There are also outside exhibits such as the Harbour Master’s house and many boats are open to the public. I suggest you stay here for an hour or so. For those who like the Beatles there is a Beatles Museum (entry fee applies) at the Albert Dock. There are also tours which leave from around here. Be aware that this is a tourist area so it will get busy in July. You can get more info, and even book a tour online at

http://www.albertdock.com/

After you have finished at the Maritime Museum, you should walk back to the Pier Head (you’ll only be a couple of hundred yards away) and take the Mersey Ferry tour. Check out the timetable, so you’re not waiting too long. You can find this and even buy your (cheap) tickets online at: http://www.merseyferries.co.uk/

The tour will take you about an hour. You can get a snack lunch onboard. After the tour you can then head up into Liverpool proper. Don’t forget you will still be right in front of your ship, so you can even go back on board, freshen up, have lunch and still have a full afternoon ahead.

A taxi up into the city centre will cost very little, as it’s only half a mile or so right up to say Lime Street Station. However, it’s much more interesting on foot. Remember that you are walking in the footsteps of your forefathers when you walk through Liverpool, as something like nine million people passed through the port en route to the new world.

Also look around you and try to imagine it as it was in 1941 after the German bombing campaign reduced the city’s buildings to rubble, but couldn’t crush it’s spirit. Just google ‘Liverpool blitz’ and you’ll see what I mean.

For an interesting walk into the city you should walk up Water Street. On your right you can see India Buildings, which housed the offices of some of the world’s biggest shipping lines. At the top of the hill, just before Dale Street, you can see the Town Hall. This is an interesting building. I’m not sure if it’s open to the public or not, but I don’t think so. Worth a photo, as it was built in 1754.

Carry on up Dale Street until you get right to the end. Stay on the right hand side of the road so that you can navigate your way across the roads around the entrance to the Mersey Tunnel. You want to cross over to the bottom of William Brown Street to see the magnificent buildings there. If you want more art galleries or museums then you have two of the best here. The World Museum would take you hours to get around as would the Walker Art Gallery (entry to both is free). Visit these if you wish, but DO NOT MISS St George’s Hall, which stands proudly at the top of the hill. The entrance is actually at the other end of the building in St John’s Lane. Go into the Heritage centre and follow the (free) guided tour through the law courts and the magnificent hall itself. It’s a real unmissable building. See what I mean at: http://www.stgeorgeshall.eu/

By now it will be mid-afternoon and I think your ship sails at 7pm. You can now decide between two alternatives. Those of you who enjoy shopping can head into the centre (a couple of hundred yards away) and visit the shopping centres in Church Street, Lord Street and the new ‘Liverpool One’ Centre.

Those of you still craving culture should jump a cab up to the Anglican Cathedral (no more than £2-3) and visit the first of our two cathedrals. After visiting the Anglican Cathedral, take a walk back along Hope Street to see the magnificent Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ The King (Paddy’s wigwam to the locals). This was finished in 1967 and mass was said here by Pope John Paul II in 1982.

After shopping or visiting the cathedrals, you will probably be ready to go back to the ship, hopefully with a hatful of memories of a wonderful city. I should know, I’ve been here over 50 years!!

All the activities I’ve scheduled for the morning are within a few hundred yards of the ship and are within easy, flat walking range. Everywhere I’ve mentioned is wheelchair accessible. Have a fantastic visit to my city, then go and tell the world!!

We are wanting to take the train to Chester, from what I have read we will go the Liverpool Central train station to go to Chester. How far and how do we get there? If we take a taxi what approximately is the cost or walk which streets do we take. I saw a map but there were no names of streets on the map. Thank you so much for all of your great information. We want to go to Chester early and then spend afternoon enjoying Liverpool.

We are wanting to take the train to Chester, from what I have read we will go the Liverpool Central train station to go to Chester. How far and how do we get there? If we take a taxi what approximately is the cost or walk which streets do we take. I saw a map but there were no names of streets on the map. Thank you so much for all of your great information. We want to go to Chester early and then spend afternoon enjoying Liverpool.

There is an app you can download "Merseytravel" which can give you detailed train timetables. The station is James Street which is approx 5 minutes walk from cruise dock

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Hi. Been away for a few days, so didn't see your posts. As Amanda H said, the best station to use would be James Street, which is very close to where the ship docks. I think the train takes about half an hour or so to get to Chester, but just check the timetables to be sure. Although Chester is definitely worth a look, unless you have a very long day in port, you will be hard pressed to do justice to both places in my view. However, you could definitely get a good overview of Chester and then just concentrate on the area closest to the ship, such as the Pier Head and Albert Dock attractions. So much choice! 😊

• 4 weeks later...

It's been quiet on here this year. I wonder if that's because there is so much on here now that people can find the answer to their questions, or if less people are looking in. We seem to be still getting plenty of views though. Not far off 100,000 in total now. I wonder? :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...