• See a soccer game
    • Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

The city does "war" quite well. The Museum of Liverpool has an exhibition, mainly focussing on the local regiment - the King's. Also available at the Museum is a database recording information on the many thousands of men who served with the Regiment during the Great War. It was researched and produced by a pal of mine (and fellow amateur military historian), as a hobby project over many years. Joe lives in Cheltenham but, every Saturday for years, he would drive the four hour round trip to do the research at the National Archives in London (this was in the days before all the info was available online). 

• 1 month later...

Wondering if anyone has feedback of doing an excursion to Wales from Liverpool?I found one from busybus that looks interesting but not certain if it is too much. We are not really Beatles fans and I would like to see more countryside than city. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

2 hours ago, tobyt said:

Wondering if anyone has feedback of doing an excursion to Wales from Liverpool?I found one from busybus that looks interesting but not certain if it is too much. We are not really Beatles fans and I would like to see more countryside than city. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Busybus are used regularly by cruise passengers from Liverpool to north Wales and are highly rated. But, Liverpool isn't just about the Beatles. It as it's own history to investigate from the Titanic, slaves, Old docks etc. which have all been modernised and integrated into the main city. One of the most walkable cities in the UK. 

• Like 2

On 10/26/2023 at 9:54 PM, madera1 said:

We will be in Liverpool in May while on a cruise. In searching for Beatles tours I saw that a Blue hop on off bus is an option. Has anyone used this and can share their experience?

Are you on the Regal Princess arriving in Liverpool on 6/1/24?  I just started looking at pooloflifetours.com.  Haven't booked it yet, but it seems to go almost everywhere Beatles-related.  I know Liverpool is more than "The Beatles", but I'm a fan.

Edited by gators70

• 1 month later...

We will be in Liverpool in June on Jewel of the Seas. Way back in post 336 @Towncar T recommended a walking tour of the city. Tom, any ideas that are different to those you mentioned in that post? I love the idea of seeing the city without a tour. We're not Beatle fanatics, so I thought something more city oriented would be more our speed.

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, vplsh said:

I love the idea of seeing the city without a tour.

Lisa - design your own walking tour on gpsmycity.com. I note Liverpool already has six walks mapped out. But you can plan your own - just select the places you want to visit and the website puts them into order. Really useful - I've done it for a couple of cities on our last cruise and have planned out one for Cadiz for a 2024 trip. 

https://www.gpsmycity.com/gps-tour-guides/liverpool-2632.html

As I think I posted upthread (or maybe on another), you can easily fill a day without leaving the waterfront. FWIW, I visit the city regularly and have never done any Beatles stuff (although I did go to see them when  they played Manchester in 1965). 

Edited by Harters
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2023 at 12:57 PM, Harters said:

Lisa - design your own walking tour on gpsmycity.com. I note Liverpool already has six walks mapped out. But you can plan your own - just select the places you want to visit and the website puts them into order. Really useful - I've done it for a couple of cities on our last cruise and have planned out one for Cadiz for a 2024 trip. 

https://www.gpsmycity.com/gps-tour-guides/liverpool-2632.html

As I think I posted upthread (or maybe on another), you can easily fill a day without leaving the waterfront. FWIW, I visit the city regularly and have never done any Beatles stuff (although I did go to see them when  they played Manchester in 1965). 

That's great information! Thank you!!