• See a soccer game
    • Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

I'm a soccer fan of sorts. The day after our first date, I went to watch him play soccer. And that was in 1982! All of my kids played soccer, and my husband spent two years as the GM in the Women's US Professional League.

We did the BusyBus North Wales Adventure from LIVERPOOL. It was excellent.

Well I have to say that although my primary focus on this thread is my own city of Liverpool, I also have a great love of North Wales. Whenever any of our American friends come to stay with us, we always take them for a full day out in North Wales. I often say that if North Wales received the sun in Summer, it would be the most visited place in Europe!

Personally, though, I'd make a trip to North Wales part of a longer trip rather than an excursion from the ship. Still, as Papa said, it was an excellent trip, so clearly it can work!

It reminds me how lucky I am to live here, with so much right on our doorstep.:)

Well I have to say that although my primary focus on this thread is my own city of Liverpool, I also have a great love of North Wales. Whenever any of our American friends come to stay with us, we always take them for a full day out in North Wales. I often say that if North Wales received the sun in Summer, it would be the most visited place in Europe!

Personally, though, I'd make a trip to North Wales part of a longer trip rather than an excursion from the ship. Still, as Papa said, it was an excellent trip, so clearly it can work!

It reminds me how lucky I am to live here, with so much right on our doorstep.:)

We are American friends of Towncar T and he is in fact correct - Morthern Whales is beautiful - rugged - inviting. It was a great day for us!

We are American friends of Towncar T and he is in fact correct - Morthern Whales is beautiful - rugged - inviting. It was a great day for us!

Well, I was going to correct your spelling, Glenn, but the weather we got that day was more suitable for Whales than it was for Wales! LOL!

Just wanted to add my thanks, Towncar T, for your amazing thread. We'll be in Liverpool July 26 on the Ruby Princess, and you've provided all the info I need to plan a great day! We always intended to make Liverpool a "walk-around-and-see-the-sights-on-own-day", but I don't know that I could have mapped out our day without your expertise.

Just wanted to add my thanks, Towncar T, for your amazing thread. We'll be in Liverpool July 26 on the Ruby Princess, and you've provided all the info I need to plan a great day! We always intended to make Liverpool a "walk-around-and-see-the-sights-on-own-day", but I don't know that I could have mapped out our day without your expertise.

Absolutely my pleasure. Hope you enjoy your visit:)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to rent a car through Enterprise and am waiting to hear back from them. The closest location to the ship is only open until 6:00 and we don't even dock until noon. I'm hoping they will let me keep the car after hours or leave it at the port. I'm also going to call Sixt Car Hire based on your suggestion. While planning our visit to Manchester, can you suggest anything else we should visit that might be along the way? I'm hoping we'll have time to drive by the Beatles houses when we return.

I remember this question came up a couple of years back. I don't think there is anything right there at the cruise terminal, but Sixt Car Hire and Enterprise are quite close by. I do believe that Enterprise will actually bring the car to meet you off the ship. You can get their contact details online but if you want I will post their telephone numbers here. If anyone knows of any other options then post the details on here please.

I would allow about an hour and fifteen minutes or so o get to Old Trafford from the cruise terminal by car.:)

So we are having no success renting a car because all of the car rental agencies close at 6:00 and we would need it later. My husband had a thought of having a taxi take us to the airport where the car rental agencies are open later. Is that a reasonable idea?

I am also open to any other solutions to get to Manchester. Much appreciated!

How far is the train from the cruise port? What would the closest station name be?

Depending where you're going, you'll probably want 'Liverpool Lime Street' which is the main station. Its about a mile/20 min walk. See link below for route.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/53.4063029,-2.9984227/53.4086309,-2.9789391/@53.405433,-2.9969908,15z/data=!4m4!4m3!1m0!1m0!3e2?hl=en

I went to rent a car through Enterprise and am waiting to hear back from them. The closest location to the ship is only open until 6:00 and we don't even dock until noon. I'm hoping they will let me keep the car after hours or leave it at the port. I'm also going to call Sixt Car Hire based on your suggestion. While planning our visit to Manchester, can you suggest anything else we should visit that might be along the way? I'm hoping we'll have time to drive by the Beatles houses when we return.

I'm going to give you my honest opinion here. You can take it or leave it, but I have to be honest with you.

Given that you don't dock until noon, I feel you are not going to get the best out of your visit by visiting Manchester. Don't get me wrong. Manchester is a fantastic city and I love going there. However, your timings mean that you will hardly get the chance to see anything.

I understand, as I recall, that this is a pilgrimage to Manchester to see Old Trafford. If that is the case then of course you have to do it, but I think that you won't really have time to do anything else. By the time you have reached the stadium it's going to be somewhere between 2 and 3pm in my estimation. After your tour of the stadium you will probably hit the peak time traffic. By the time you arrive back in Liverpool and returned your car, most of the main attractions will be closed.

You will only be in port for half a day and you will waste so much time travelling on the motorway with nothing much to see.

My honest advice to you would be to spend the day in Liverpool taking in as much as you can. Make a trip to Manchester on another visit with more time at your disposal to do it properly.

I say this only because I want you to make the most of your visit.

Whatever you decide, I'm very happy to help as much as I can.

T:)

Towncar T thank you for all your suggestions about what to do in Liverpool. We're there overnight, so we have lots of time to tour your fair city! What is your feeling about the Beatles Fab Four tour?

As someone who has just played The Cavern Club, as I did recently, I think if you are a Beatles fan then a Beatles tour is a great idea. As far as I know there are a number of companies that do it but I have no preference, never having done it myself. I think an organised tour is better than a self-guided one if you want to do all of the sights outside the city centre, but if you are happy just to see the city centre sights then there is plenty to see under your own steam. I think I posted a possible walking tour route earlier in this thread, but I can't swear to it.:)

Depending where you're going, you'll probably want 'Liverpool Lime Street' which is the main station. Its about a mile/20 min walk. See link below for route.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/53.4063029,-2.9984227/53.4086309,-2.9789391/@53.405433,-2.9969908,15z/data=!4m4!4m3!1m0!1m0!3e2?hl=en

What Dave said is correct, but it's also a five minute cab ride away.:)

Having looked into this, there are a number of tours offered and they start at £45 for a two hour tour.

Go to:

http://www.thebeatlesfabfourtaxitour.com/?gclid=CLW7-v2sj7sCFQHHtAod5V8A3A

Please be assured that I have absolutely NO affiliation whatsoever to this company, or any other for that matter. I simply want to help make your visit to our city as memorable as possible. I'm sure there are other companies offering similar tours.

The £39 90 minute tour seems like a good tour to me for people with limited time in the city (i.e. cruisers!). As an experienced cruiser myself, I know how valuable time spent in the ports can be, so you want to make the most of it.

By the way, it seems like this offer gets repeated on Groupon, as here it is again with another day to go for anyone that missed it.

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/liverpool/fab-four-tours/30558337?context=sold-out&treatment=similar-category&bcsp=Rxb1IVOX28G8y-cQYnK3tQ

:)

Here's a link to some earlier info on Beatles tours. I remember I was going to get one for ourselves, but it didn't happen. :(

Here's the link to my suggested Beatles walking tour of the city centre. Hope it helps :)

Right

I am no Beatles expert, but some time ago somebody asked me to suggest a walking route through the city centre to concentrate on The Fab Four, so here we go. If anyone with more knowledge than me notices any mistakes or omissions then please feel free to add your opinion. All info is welcome.

I am assuming that people are fit and well and able to walk a couple of miles or so unaided. Most places do have good disabled access these days, but I can't be sure. Here we go!

First of all, here is a link to a good map of Liverpool City Centre that you can use when planning your trip. You can maybe print it out and highlight your proposed route or mark any particular things you want to see.

http://www.visitliverpool.com/dbimgs/2012_maps/Liverpool%20Map.pdf

Without doubt, the first place to head up to is the Cavern Quarter.

The way I would get there is to walk across the front of the "Three Graces", the magnificent buildings adorning the World Heritage site that is the Liverpool waterfront. Then walk up James Street, noting Albion House on the corner, which was the HQ of the White Star Line at the time of the Titanic Disaster in 1912. Imagine all of the relatives of passengers and crew thronging right there on that very corner waiting for news of their loved ones.

Go straight across the junction at the top of James Street, perhaps taking a moment to admire the Victoria monument on the right. Also stand there and imagine the scene from this very spot in 1941, as depicted in this iconic picture of Liverpool after the blitz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Liverpool_Blitz_D_5983.jpg

Go further down Lord Street and turn left into North John Street. On your right hand side you will see Matthew Street. If you turn into Matthew Street you will emerge into Beatle Heaven! I won't go into fine detail about what is there, but you will find shops and bars a plenty, entirely dedicated to The Beatles. Don't forget to keep your eyes open and look up, as there are Beatles gems all over the place. Part way down I remember there being a statue of John Lennon where people pose for photographs.

A 'must-see' is The Cavern Club. Not the original, but a faithful reproduction of the one that the Beatles played at. I know many people who performed at the original Cavern and they tell me that it is a true reproduction.

After you have had your fill in the Cavern Quarter, head down into Stanley Street and take a look at the Eleanor Rigby statue, which is dedicated to "All the lonely people." Another good photo opp.

If you are peckish by now (and as a cruiser myself, I know you will be!!) there are plenty of places to grab a snack and a drink, but keeping the Beatles theme, you might want to go back up to North John Street and grab a bite or a coffee in the Beatles-themed Hard Day's Night Hotel. Here is a link to the site where you can download their menus. I have never been there, but it is said to be full of Beatles related stuff.

http://www.harddaysnighthotel.com/lounge-bar.html

After you have finished in the Cavern Quarter area, head on back down to The Albert Dock. A good route to take is to go straight across from North John Street into the Liverpool One shopping area and walk through there, down past the Hilton Hotel and over The Strand at the pedestrian crossing.

Then go to the far left (as you look at it from across the Strand) end of the dock buildings (towards the Wheel of Liverpool) where you will find "The Beatles Story" attraction. Again, I have never been in there but I believe that it is a must for all serious Beatles fans. Here is a link to their website.There is an admission charge for this attraction.

http://www.beatlesstory.com/

I guess you could spend an hour or two here, so build that into your schedule.

The next thing you might want to see is the Beatles exhibit at the relatively new Museum of Liverpool, which is on the waterfront right on the route back to your ship. To get there, just go back down to the far end of Albert Dock back towards the Pier Head, walk down the side by the Maritime Museum and then cross over to the Pier Head. The Museum of Liverpool is the big ugly (just my opinion of course!) building, the first that you come to.

When you go in, ask at the front desk if the Beatles show is on. They run regular free film shows featuring The Beatles. If it fits with your schedule, you should definitely see it.

Finally, on your way back to the ship, you will see the Mersey Ferries terminal. Above it is an exhibition of Beatles photographs, known as "The Beatles Hidden Gallery". It is apparently free to enter according to information on this website:

http://www.the-beatles-hidden-gallery.com/

After visiting the gallery, you can stroll the couple of hundred yards back to your ship clutching your souvenirs and a headful of memories that you can take away with you from the most welcoming city in the world. (Well, we like to think so):)

On your way back, take a look at the plaque on the wall, just to the left of the gap that you pass through before getting to your ship. It is dedicated to the cooperation between the port of Liverpool and the US. It is one of my favourite things on the Pier Head and often goes unnoticed. Liverpool was the gateway to Europe for so many men and arms in two world wars. Look for this plaque:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25632502@N00/513205023/

And don't forget to take a glance at the Titanic Memorial before you board the ship. It doesn't even mention the Titanic on it, but there's a story behind that!;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_to_the_Engine_Room_Heroes_of_the_Titanic

I hope that this helps those of you that come to Liverpool hoping to see some Beatles related stuff. Like I said, I am no Beatles expert, but everyone in this city knows a bit about the 'Four Lads Who Shook The World'

There are obviously a lot more things to see and do in Liverpool, as you can see in earlier posts on this thread, but I have tried to concentrate here on purely Beatles stuff. As always, if you have any questions just post them here.

Enjoy your visit!!:)

We will be overnight in Liverpool on July 19 and 20 and can't wait! I just spent a great deal of time on this thread and thank everyone for the incredible information! I have one additional question. We are going to the British Open at royal Liverpool on Saturday July 19. Would train be the best way to travel there? If so would it be available from Line Street Station? Thank you again for the wealth if information provided here! :)

Cheryl

We will be overnight in Liverpool on July 19 and 20 and can't wait! I just spent a great deal of time on this thread and thank everyone for the incredible information! I have one additional question. We are going to the British Open at royal Liverpool on Saturday July 19. Would train be the best way to travel there? If so would it be available from Line Street Station? Thank you again for the wealth if information provided here! :)

Cheryl

Hi. Yes, train is bery definitely the way to go. Here is a link to the Open travel details. You will see the section on train travel.

http://www.theopen.com/en/Information/TravelToTheCourse.aspx

James Street Station also serves that line, and is a very short walk from the ship (if indeed you are on a ship, as you just say that you are here overnight ,:-) I know that it isn't always open though, so I would check it out to see if it is open on that day.

The Saturday will be vey busy indeed and sometimes there are long queues for the trains coming away from the course, so be sure to leave plenty of time for your journey back.

Should be a great open. I am hoping to play the course in the next couple of weeks with a friend who is a member.

Cheryl

And here is the link to the train information, showing the timetable. James Street station is open on Saturdays, so if you are visiting on a ship that is definitely the station from which to depart. Otherwise, there is also Lime Street, Moorfields and Central that service what is known as the Wirral Loop.

http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/travelling-around/timetables/train-timetables/Documents/Wirral%20Line%20from%2018%20May%20to%2013%20December%202014.pdf

Enjoy!

And here is the link to the train information, showing the timetable. James Street station is open on Saturdays, so if you are visiting on a ship that is definitely the station from which to depart. Otherwise, there is also Lime Street, Moorfields and Central that service what is known as the Wirral Loop.

http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/travelling-around/timetables/train-timetables/Documents/Wirral%20Line%20from%2018%20May%20to%2013%20December%202014.pdf

Enjoy!

Thank you so much! Yes we will be on a ship which overnights in Liverpool. We are so happy to have 2 full days. We plan the Open and a little nightlife(any favorite pubs?) on Saturday then exploring the city on Sunday, and we don't leave until 9pm Sunday! So looking forward to our visit!

Thank you agin,

Cheryl