Recommendations from past cruisers

lmmn

Please, when you get back from your cruise, it would be very helpful to post a review. There is very limited information on these boards on Columbia ports. It would be extremely helpful for those planning future cruises to get suggestions from you. i.e. hotel recommendations, tips on transfers, recommend a tour, safety concerns, ship excursions.

Please, when you get back from your cruise, it would be very helpful to post a review. There is very limited information on these boards on Columbia ports. It would be extremely helpful for those planning future cruises to get suggestions from you. i.e. hotel recommendations, tips on transfers, recommend a tour, safety concerns, ship excursions.

Enjoyed strolling through the Old City, great people watching, colorful buildings with flowered balconies, shops and restaurants. Had a great seafood meal at La Case de Secorro. Need to see the Spanish fortress up close, climb to top if you have time (it's visible from a distance from almost everywhere in town). The US dollar goes a long way.

We were in Cartagena in December. Be prepared for very aggressive vendors selling their wares. It didn't bother my husband, but it made me feel very uncomfortable. If you get your own cab tour, which is very popular, be firm about where you want to go. Otherwise you might end up at his favorite spots! Our driver took us to 3 jewerly stores hoping we would buy an emerald before we said 'no more'. Then we toured the fortress, walked around the old city, stopped in at the Hard Rock Cafe for a drink and then toured the city by cab. We paid $60 for the cab for 3 hours and that was plenty of time.

We were in Cartagena in December. Be prepared for very aggressive vendors selling their wares. It didn't bother my husband, but it made me feel very uncomfortable. If you get your own cab tour, which is very popular, be firm about where you want to go. Otherwise you might end up at his favorite spots! Our driver took us to 3 jewerly stores hoping we would buy an emerald before we said 'no more'. Then we toured the fortress, walked around the old city, stopped in at the Hard Rock Cafe for a drink and then toured the city by cab. We paid $60 for the cab for 3 hours and that was plenty of time.

We are going to Cartegena in a few weeks and appreciate this advice. For the cab - did you have an itinerary for the tour before you went? If you can suggest where we should ask a driver to take us that would be great. Did you have to negotiate a price before hand or was it a set price?

I too get rather nervous about over enthusiastic vendors but would also like to do a bit of walking if possible. Are there any interesting areas or shops withing walking distance of the ship?

Sorry for all the questions - any advice gratefully received

Thank you

I would suggest that you do some research about Cartegena before you get to port so you will know what you want to see. That is the mistake we made and the cab driver took a little advantage of that. There is a basic tour that all the cabs had available, it included the fortress, old city and shopping and other places. The set price seemed to be $60 for the cab and driver for 3 hours. Keep in mind that price did not include admission to the fortress or any other places that have admission price. There are many shopping areas around the city that your cab driver can take you to. Most people seemed to be walking and shopping in the Old Walled City area. There is a small shopping area in the secured area at the ship, but I would venture out with a cab to get the real flavor of Cartegena. Happy cruising!

• 2 weeks later...

We walked the walled city on our own and we really wished we had taken a guided tour. There are alot of things that we would have loved to have explained to us.

Even the door knockers had a story behind them and I regretted not hearing the history as we walked through.

I took the Prince Cruise Lines tour - Best of Cartagena & Fortress.

Click on the link below for information on viewing a video of this tour.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=926243

Cruzer Two

We were in Cartegena in December and it was a fabulous city. There were 6 of us and we had Lee Miles, Mr. Emerald arrange a tour for us and we saw a lot! I would highly reccomend using his service, you will NOT be disappointed. We had a very nice A/C van, roomy and comfortable! Claudia was our guide and she was wonderful! Nancie

Archived