Safety in NZ and Australia

margord

Yes, both N.Z. and Australia are safe to walk around in especially during the day.

We never worry about not carrying our handbags etc. Sure, there may be some petty crime as Melbourne and Sydney are very big cities with nearly 4 million people but I have never seen it. I never worry here like I do when I visit Europe, particularly when I am in Italy and in some of the poorer European countries.

Jennie

Yes, both N.Z. and Australia are safe to walk around in especially during the day.

We never worry about not carrying our handbags etc. Sure, there may be some petty crime as Melbourne and Sydney are very big cities with nearly 4 million people but I have never seen it. I never worry here like I do when I visit Europe, particularly when I am in Italy and in some of the poorer European countries.

Jennie

Thank you so much Jennie. I do not consider myself a world traveller and have only been to Europe once but heard so much about pick pockets, etc. I was constantly worried. Now that we are going to Australia and NZ I was hoping that was not the case. Again, I will be alert but it is nice to know that I will feel safe.

Marilee

Hi Mariliee,

From a Kiwi's perspective, yes our country is primarily safe but one issue we have at present around major shopping malls is bag snatching. They grab your bag in a car park or similar and speed off in a car with their accomplice. Primarily they are targeting Asians as they are known for carrying large amounts of cash, but if you've just visited the cash flow / ATM be wary.

Also don't use ATM's that are just "there" - try to use those outside banks etc as skimming is also an issue.

Don't hitchhike or walk with your bag over your arm and don't flash cash and you should be fine. 99.9% of us are honest, but like every country, a small minority spoil it.

Enjoy your time in New Zealand. :) Jo

Hi Mariliee,

From a Kiwi's perspective, yes our country is primarily safe but one issue we have at present around major shopping malls is bag snatching. They grab your bag in a car park or similar and speed off in a car with their accomplice. Primarily they are targeting Asians as they are known for carrying large amounts of cash, but if you've just visited the cash flow / ATM be wary.

Also don't use ATM's that are just "there" - try to use those outside banks etc as skimming is also an issue.

Don't hitchhike or walk with your bag over your arm and don't flash cash and you should be fine. 99.9% of us are honest, but like every country, a small minority spoil it.

Enjoy your time in New Zealand. :) Jo

Thank you Jo

Opportunistic thieves tend to operate in crowded tourist haunts. The free tram in Melbourne is one such place but another is Circular Quay in Sydney. People stop to watch street performers and can be very vulnerable if not holding on to their belongings properly.

So for men - no wallets in back pockets and women hold your bag close to you so that you can feel if anyone touches it. As you said margord it is not as common as in Europe but it can happen.:(

Archived