Qanta Carry On Information

margord

They say one carry on weighing no more than 15 lbs and one personal item. So I can have a carry on and my purse. Does this mean my husband can have a carry on and a small bag. I want to take a bag with things like medication, passports, etc. It's not a big bag and would weigh 5 lbs or less do you think this is possible. I always take it here in the states along with the carry on and have never had a problem. How strict are they?

They say one carry on weighing no more than 15 lbs and one personal item.
I'm not sure where you're seeing this. The official information is on this page and this page. You're allowed the bag(s) of the size(s) identified in the first page. "In addition to the allowances, personal articles such as an overcoat, handbag, umbrella, walking stick, small camera, duty free items and some reading matter for the flight may be carried in the cabin."

If your allowance is one bag each and your husband's second "bag" contains nothing more than medications and travel documents (including passports), then I doubt that there will be any difficulty caused over this. However, I would also be surprised if those items didn't fit inside your main carry-on bag anyway.

I'm not sure where you're seeing this. The official information is on this page and this page. You're allowed the bag(s) of the size(s) identified in the first page. "In addition to the allowances, personal articles such as an overcoat, handbag, umbrella, walking stick, small camera, duty free items and some reading matter for the flight may be carried in the cabin."

If your allowance is one bag each and your husband's second "bag" contains nothing more than medications and travel documents (including passports), then I doubt that there will be any difficulty caused over this. However, I would also be surprised if those items didn't fit inside your main carry-on bag anyway.

Thanks so much. Do they actually weigh the carry on bags?

And they do sometimes do it - there are plenty of reports of this - but not always. It seems pretty random.

Thanks. I guess if it looks like you have an elephant in the carry on they will weigh it. If it looks reasonable they don't. I ask because I know they tend to weigh each and ever checked back. Now they are also measuring them.

Marilee

We just returned and they weighed everything. Qantas did not weigh the carryons when we went over from LAX. On the return from Auckland, they weighed everything and we had to repack and check one of the carryons. The weight allowed did not seem like very much and since we were told in kilos, I cannot recall. It was that which was stated on their website, however. Our friends who flew New Zealand air from Auckland did not have theirs weighed although I've heard reports that that line weighs as well.

Ours were not particularly large but like you see typically on American airlines.

The Qantas flight over to Sydney was on a newer plane, the Airbus, and had a great deal more service than the return flight from Auckland for whatever reason.

We just returned and they weighed everything. Qantas did not weigh the carryons when we went over from LAX. On the return from Auckland, they weighed everything and we had to repack and check one of the carryons. The weight allowed did not seem like very much and since we were told in kilos, I cannot recall. It was that which was stated on their website, however. Our friends who flew New Zealand air from Auckland did not have theirs weighed although I've heard reports that that line weighs as well.

Ours were not particularly large but like you see typically on American airlines.

The Qantas flight over to Sydney was on a newer plane, the Airbus, and had a great deal more service than the return flight from Auckland for whatever reason.

All said, was it a nice flight (despite the time). Did they treat you well on the plane?

Marilee

We`ve swapped from rolling onboard which always seemed to get weighed to just a carry bag which probably holds just as much. The wheeled one was pretty weighty before we even got anything in it. I make sure it looks like it weighs nothing:-)

We`ve swapped from rolling onboard which always seemed to get weighed to just a carry bag which probably holds just as much. The wheeled one was pretty weighty before we even got anything in it. I make sure it looks like it weighs nothing:-)

I got nylon bags to use as carry ons. After all I want the weight to be what is in the bag, not the bag itself.

Marilee

It sounds like you looked like you were carrying too much and that is why they weighed your luggage. Obviously you were carrying too much if you had to repack and check some of it.

I think the secret is to not look like you are carrying too much. I actually don't see why people need to take so much stuff with them as carry on if you're checking luggage anyway. I can understand if you're trying not to have to check luggage.

Margord why don't your try carrying a larger handbag so that you can put your meds etc in that. A large tote or something like that but make sure it still looks like a handbag and not carry on.

It sounds like you looked like you were carrying too much and that is why they weighed your luggage. Obviously you were carrying too much if you had to repack and check some of it.

I think the secret is to not look like you are carrying too much. I actually don't see why people need to take so much stuff with them as carry on if you're checking luggage anyway. I can understand if you're trying not to have to check luggage.

Margord why don't your try carrying a larger handbag so that you can put your meds etc in that. A large tote or something like that but make sure it still looks like a handbag and not carry on.

Thanks for the advice. I guess to answer you question about why people want to take so much as carry on, I can only talk for myself. Frankly, I do not trust the airline and worry that I may be going to NZ but my suitcases are going to Fiji or somewhere else. Now they may have a wonderful time but I would like to have them with me. Therefore, I like to carry on essentials that I want just in case. For me that would be stuff like make up, curling iron, and other girly stuff.

Marilee

We just returned from Syd-Auk cruise. When in LAX, no carryons were weighed. When we checked in at Aukland, all carryons were weighed. We checked in with a very nice young man who did not weigh my carryon, however, when we went through security, a woman asked to weigh my carry on.

I must admit, I had bought a new carryone (Heys) and the suitcase only weighs 4 lbs. But when weighed, my carryon weighed 9 kilos, which I believe translated to about 18 lbs. While I was three lbs over the limit (15kg), the agent said nothing, so guess it was not a problem.

Of course, what everyone missed was my purse which weighed more than my carryon. It had books for my husband and I and water for both of us. I always end up carrying everything!

We just returned from Syd-Auk cruise. When in LAX, no carryons were weighed. When we checked in at Aukland, all carryons were weighed. We checked in with a very nice young man who did not weigh my carryon, however, when we went through security, a woman asked to weigh my carry on.

I must admit, I had bought a new carryone (Heys) and the suitcase only weighs 4 lbs. But when weighed, my carryon weighed 9 kilos, which I believe translated to about 18 lbs. While I was three lbs over the limit (15kg), the agent said nothing, so guess it was not a problem.

Of course, what everyone missed was my purse which weighed more than my carryon. It had books for my husband and I and water for both of us. I always end up carrying everything!

Now that's a great idea. I will take a light carry on and a very, very heave post. Loved the story and thanks for letting me know they did weigh the carry on. I will be careful.

Marilee

I don't normally travel with carry on luggage except for my handbag.

But... with the new luggage weight restrictions I will be buying a carry on and packing it to maximum capacity :D

My cruise is for 30 days and I am already panicking on how to stuff all my clothes in a suitcase weighing 20kg. So, a carry on bag it is, which gives me another 7kg to play with. It might just be do-able. :D

Linda

I don't normally travel with carry on luggage except for my handbag.

But... with the new luggage weight restrictions I will be buying a carry on and packing it to maximum capacity :D

My cruise is for 30 days and I am already panicking on how to stuff all my clothes in a suitcase weighing 20kg. So, a carry on bag it is, which gives me another 7kg to play with. It might just be do-able. :D

Linda

Unfortunately with all the airline restrictions we have to do things to get around it. A carry on is one of the ways to get some more space and weight. The luggage restrictions went up with the price of fuel. Unforuntately now that fuel is back down nothing has changed.

Marilee

To add to mochuck's comment, any carry-on that "you see typically on American airlines" is almost certainly too big and too heavy for Qantas.
Frankly, I do not trust the airline and worry that I may be going to NZ but my suitcases are going to Fiji or somewhere else.
Unfortunately, I think that people worry far too much about this. Very little luggage actually gets lost. Usually, if a bag doesn't arrive on the same flight as the passenger, which is in itself pretty rare, it will be delayed by a day or two at most. That's all you really need to plan for, and you don't need to carry very much. The airline will, after all, assist you if your bag has been mishandled, and your travel insurance will also pick up at least some of the cost of any necessities you buy then.
My cruise is for 30 days and I am already panicking on how to stuff all my clothes in a suitcase weighing 20kg.
One word: "laundry". You don't need to bring a month's worth of clothes. In fact, to be blunt, that would be silly.

One word: "laundry". You don't need to bring a month's worth of clothes. In fact, to be blunt, that would be silly.

Yes, thanks for that... I plan on doing laundry. :p

No, I never pack for the full 30 days "that would be silly" I do laundry at least twice during the cruise. My problem is the 5 formal nights.

Oh, if only all the problems in this world were so trivial!!! ;)

Linda

No, I never pack for the full 30 days "that would be silly" I do laundry at least twice during the cruise. My problem is the 5 formal nights.

Linda

Linda,

You are so right if only everything was so trivial. I also hope to do laundry. I wonder when the best time to get to the washer and dryers are? I know port days but I will be off the ship with everyone else.

Marilee

Linda

Linda, having done the Dawn Princess from San Francisco last September I can tell you the laundry only has 2 washers and dryers and one iron. Tension was very high at times but also entertaining to watch people sitting on the floor in the corridor "guarding" their machine. :D

Maurice

While losing one's luggage might not happen often, why take the chance? The airline might help you get other clothesbut those items won't necessarily be exactly what you want. I am hard to fit; a size 2 body and clothes that almost always need alteration - I sure would not take the chance of MY clothes being lost.

I pack light, do laundry and take anything I don't want to lose in carry-on.

Linda,

You are so right if only everything was so trivial. I also hope to do laundry. I wonder when the best time to get to the washer and dryers are? I know port days but I will be off the ship with everyone else.

Marilee

Yes, port days are good, or I have had success just before dinner. (if you have late seating) The irons are quite often in use but the machines are often free.

Linda

Linda, having done the Dawn Princess from San Francisco last September I can tell you the laundry only has 2 washers and dryers and one iron. Tension was very high at times but also entertaining to watch people sitting on the floor in the corridor "guarding" their machine. :D

Maurice

Thanks Maurice,

I have only been on the Sapphire Princess that had about 5 washers/dryers. I did not know there was ONLY 2 washers/dryers. :eek::eek:

Oh no.........stress levels rising :eek::eek:

I have seen laundry rage ..... not a pretty sight.

Linda

Archived