weather around the horn

tinybabynurse

Could anyone who made the cruise recently give us a rundown on the extremes in weather that you enountered? How hot was the hottest and where? Was it really cold anywhere? Anybody comment on recent weather in Ushuaia - or Punta Tumbo? Trying to pack here and need some guidance--- Were there any sea days where it was warm enough to sit on the deck in a bathing suit?

Could anyone who made the cruise recently give us a rundown on the extremes in weather that you enountered? How hot was the hottest and where? Was it really cold anywhere? Anybody comment on recent weather in Ushuaia - or Punta Tumbo? Trying to pack here and need some guidance--- Were there any sea days where it was warm enough to sit on the deck in a bathing suit?

We sailed Star Princess last March from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. It was t-shirt weather in Valparaiso/Santiago.

We encountered some really rough seas before we arrived in Puerto Montt. It was wind breaker weather and misty.

Punta Areanas was jacket weather. We rode a ski lift to the top of a mountain and hiked down in misty rain. That was an experience! I can now say I trekked a mountain in Patagonia.

Ushuaia is pretty cold. We needed to layer sweaters and wear hats and gloves. The Tierra Del Fuego national park is beautiful!

Going around the horn was fabulous. The seas were rough as expected, and it was really cold! Definitely needed coats, hats, gloves out on the deck.

A windbreaker or light jacket was plenty comfortable in the Falkland Islands. Deanos Bar had wonderful fish and chips!

By the time we arrived in Montevideo/Buenos Aires, we were back in t-shirts again. In fact, I had to purchase one on board.

We enjoyed the hot tubs and even getting into the pool after the hot tub. But it really was quite cool for laying out - in March anyway.

Be sure to get up early when cruising through the fjords. Very early one morning we saw incredible rainbows.

I hope you have the trip of a lifetime. It is an unforgetable experience.

2164126560101542478S600x600Q85.jpg

2396979180101542478S600x600Q85.jpg

2515757660101542478S600x600Q85.jpg

I just want to mention that the weather around cape horn literally changes by the hour. That is fact. Prepare for the seas to be very choppy, high winds and that it will be on the cold side. If things are a bit milder all the better but the odds say it will be cool, windy and with seas on the rougher side.

As you make your way south from the two northern points you mentioned, the weather will be chilly. It is not for sitting out on the deck in bathing suits other than the area relatively close to these two ports.

Keith

I spent too much time deciding what to bring for this cruise but it all worked out perfectly.

We just returned and our weather was great for the cruise and dressing appropiately. This is what worked for me. 1. A thin fleece jacket. 2. "windproof" fleece". 3. lightweight "windproof" shell. By using all of these items in different combinations depending on the weather, I was always comfortable. Also definitley bring gloves and a hat. I also brought a lightweight fleece scarf to wrap around my neck for especially windy days. I also had my winter coat because I live in the Northeast but I never needed it.

Now is a great time to buy winter items because of sales.:) Enjoy!!!

On our cruise (December 20) the only warm places were Buenos Aires (humid and probably in the 80s) and Puerto Madryn (hot and dry). We brought jackets with us to Punta Tombo but didn't need them. People were in shorts and tank tops.

Everywhere else was cool/cold. It even snowed on the ship the day we passed Cape Horn! It didn't really get warm again until we left Valparaiso and went inland to Santiago. I never did put on my bathing suit.

I just returned from a 14 day around the horn on the Radiance - we had absolutely wonderful weather - but from all accounts were incredibly lucky - Puerto Montt was pretty warm, I started off with a light jacket, but by the afternoon was walking around in a sleeveless shirt and capris - Punta Arenas and Ushuaia were cooler, definitely need a jacket, but the best advice I can give is wear layers and a coat that keeps the wind out - There were 7 of us, all started out with coat, gloves, hat, scarves and sweaters, but at various points during the day were peeling things off - Wind was the worst of it - The weather can change hourly, as others have said - Our captain would tell us we would experience all 4 seasons by noon, and often was right - Also, sunscreen is a good idea, as when the sun was out it was pretty strong - It's a great trip and we had lots of wonderful experiences - hope you have smooth sailing and lots of fun

Was on the same holiday sailing as Kimiata (Oceania Insignia). Although we did get into the Port Stanley and around Cape Horn, the weather wasn't that great. Rain, sleet, snow and mostly gray skies. The Chilean fjords were, for the most part, overcast for 2 days. That said, the Beagle Channel was impressive, but I'll take Alaska any day.

Worth doing once, but never again.

Punta Areanas was jacket weather. We rode a ski lift to the top of a mountain and hiked down in misty rain. That was an experience! I can now say I trekked a mountain in Patagonia.

Travelight, what footwear did you have for this trek? Are hiking boots necessary?

Hot Places:

Santiago, Buenos Aires,Punta del Este, Montevideo

95............97.............. 90............. 89

Normal:

La Serena, Puerto Montt, Puerto Madryn

80........... 74.............. 71

Cold

Punta Arenas, Ushuaia

46.............. 40

Like you see is very hot and very cold, I should tell you that it will be like 4 days with cold or 5. For the hot days theres not really many days at sea that are very hot. I tell you to bring more clothes to cold.

Travelight, what footwear did you have for this trek? Are hiking boots necessary?

MightyQuinn: It was misty and had been raining the day we went on this tour, so the slopes were pretty tricky. The others in our group were way ahead of me, but a really sweet young tour guide stayed with me to help me over the rough spots. I totally did not have the right shoes for this adventure. I had on keds!!!! and I was slipping and sliding all the way down! Hiking shoes are a necessity, even if the weather is clear, I think.

I still wouldn't take anything for going on this. Because I took my time getting down, I saw things the others missed.

2200208700101542478S600x600Q85.jpg2514569740101542478S600x600Q85.jpg2489612590101542478S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived