Art Auctions: To those who bought Art

love2bonboard

We have been going to the art auctions for 10 years now and have always loved them. This last cruise we ended up buying quite a bit of art (about 19 pieces) and they have all been delivered. We were very happy with the condition of the frames/paintings and love them dearly. We bought some to serve as investments. I would love to hear from some of you who bought art from Princess and how your experience was. Also, have you found them to be a good way to buy...prices? Have your paintings gone up in value? Just curious. We bought an original by Godard and an original by Behrens. We bought a Nechita Lithograph and some other lithographs and Giclees. I love Godards stuff and I think we will buy another on our next cruise. Any tips?

art auctions on cruise ships are NOT going to offer rare art or investment pieces. Those pieces would be in museums or in auction houses under very strict controls, not sitting out where they could be damaged by liquids, light, humidity, etc.

Do a search on these board about art auctions; you will find that some people are pleased with their purchases but many are not. As I have stated in a previous thread on this subject, the auction people get A LOT less friendly when I asked for certificates of provenance - a sure sign that something was amiss.

My degree is in Art History, I write the arts and cultural calendar for my local public radio station so I have some empirical knowledge in this area and thus never purchase "art" aboard cruise ships for the lack of provenance documents and because I support local artists in my own metro area.

Edited by Bookish Angel

art auctions on cruise ships are NOT going to offer rare art or investment pieces. Those pieces would be in museums or in auction houses under very strict controls, not sitting out where they could be damaged by liquids, light, humidity, etc.

Do a search on these board about art auctions; you will find that some people are pleased with their purchases but many are not. As I have stated in a previous thread on this subject, the auction people get A LOT less friendly when I asked for certificates of provenance - a sure sign that something was amiss.

My degree is in Art History, I write the arts and cultural calendar for my local public radio station so I have some empiical knowledge in this area and thus never purchase "art" aboard cruise ships for the lack of provenance documents and because I support local artists in my own metro area.

I was never looking for rare pieces, rather pieces I liked. I don't think anything was amiss on the art as the artist are frequently onboard. I know Godard, Nechita, and Behrens all travel with Princess. Mr. Behrens was there and we took pictures w/ him...very nice man. Nechita was supposed to be there, but she canceled. However, she frequently goes on the cruises as well as Godard, so I don't think they are trying to sell something of a lesser quality or misrepresetative of authentic. I have since looked up the Godard which has gone up $3,000 since I bought it, so we will see. It sure beats what the stock market is doing! I don't know that I would ever sell it anyway. Anyway, thanks for your advice and knowledge:)

As long as YOU are happy with the pieces and the prices and you feel you are getting full disclosure, enjoy the auctions for what they are. Just be sure you do your homework and be able to "talk the talk" as it were.

The word "art" is nebulous and subjective and has as many interpretations as those who use it. I just don't want to see folks taken advantage of by unscrupulous dealers.

As long as YOU are happy with the pieces and the prices and you feel you are getting full disclosure, enjoy the auctions for what they are. Just be sure you do your homework and be able to "talk the talk" as it were.

The word "art" is nebulous and subjective and has as many interpretations as those who use it. I just don't want to see folks taken advantage of by unscrupulous dealers.

I agree. Princess are the only cruise ship that runs its own in house Art Auctions. They are very different from other cruise lines and as far as I know they will provide provenance documentation willingly.

Edited by billet

Over the years, my souveniers have always been small works of art. However, I buy directly from the artist ashore or in small shops where local artists sell their work. Lovely watercolors, a few oils, etc.

I sometimes go to the "art auction" onboard....but only for the free champagne. I wouldn't be interested in buying anything from an unknown entity.

Unless one is buying from a reputable auction house, buying for investment seems very chancey.

I don't know anything about art, so I hope I wasn't taken advantage of. I am happy w/ the paintings, though. I had about 6 pictures/paintings, just cheap reproductions that I had for 10 years handing on my walls (I sold all of them for $100.00). Well, I put up all of the ones I just bought and I can only say, "wow". I truly love them and they serve a second benefit as a reminder of the great cruise I was on! We put the money we spent on them under our investment profolio so it is nice to have an investment that we can look upon and enjoy (vs. a declining S & P profolio). It has definately awakened my interest in buying good paintings and putting nice, quality frames on them. When we get back to the States I will look for some local artist to buy from too...although I doubt I will find anyone I like more than Godard! P.S...I'll never be able to talk the talk...I'm just not an artsy person...well, maybe now I am.:D

I don't know anything about art, so I hope I wasn't taken advantage of. I am happy w/ the paintings, though. I had about 6 pictures/paintings, just cheap reproductions that I had for 10 years handing on my walls (I sold all of them for $100.00). Well, I put up all of the ones I just bought and I can only say, "wow". I truly love them and they serve a second benefit as a reminder of the great cruise I was on! We put the money we spent on them under our investment profolio so it is nice to have an investment that we can look upon and enjoy (vs. a declining S & P profolio). It has definately awakened my interest in buying good paintings and putting nice, quality frames on them. When we get back to the States I will look for some local artist to buy from too...although I doubt I will find anyone I like more than Godard! P.S...I'll never be able to talk the talk...I'm just not an artsy person...well, maybe now I am.:D

You love the way they look; they remind you of your cruise experience;and you love them. These are all valid reasons for making a purchase. Whether or not they are good investments is another question. Why even be concerned about future value if they bring joy? Any investing involves risks. Knowledge may help to limit risk. If you are serious about collecting, get as much information as possible. Visit galleries, read collecting material,

learn about the secondary market by reviewing auction records, etc.. Research will be fun for the serious collector.

Edited by Orator

Take this for what it is worth....no pun intended. Several cruises ago my wife and I were seated next to a table of four during the final art auction. During our conversation with them it turns out they both owned major art galleries-not together and in to different major cities. They were both working off of computers. Between the two of them they purchased almost $400,000.00 worth of art-mostly originals. They added that each piece they purchsed had been requested by high end clients ashore and that each piece was alreday sold upon return.....at a nice profit they added. Guess that may explain why they were drinking a different brand of champagne then the rest of us!!

Edited by zacc

We bought art on Princess ships on our first cruises from 2000-2004, and have enjoyed the art ever since. We never purchased it for an investment. In those years, there were plenty of reasonably priced pieces available ($100-300 with frame). In the last several years, the art has become much more expensive, and we don't feel comfortable buying art that costs as much as a cruise.

We go to the occasional auction for the entertainment and free champagne. But if a piece really catches our attention, and is not too expensive, we will buy again.

DavidnSteph

We have purchased (and won) on Princess. I researched on line when I got home and feel we paid a fair price but did not get any great bargains. We enjoyed Princess auctions but did not care for the way they were run on Carnival. We will learn about HAL's in a few weeks.

Princess is the only line that I am aware of that handles its own auctions. The other lines use Park West, who pays a healthy fee to the cruise lines for the privilege. What is interesting is that Park West's opening prices on land (its gallery and its touring auctions in hotels around the U.S.) are the same as on the cruises. I know that Park West has exclusive arrangements with several artists to handle their works, which is why Princess can't get certain artists.

We have purchased several pieces of art on ships, and we like each piece. Our first auction was onboard the NCL Dreamward some 20 years ago. It was lots of fun...we got beautiful lithographs, in limited edition, for $50 to $70. The auctioneer, a guy named Andre, would continuously spout, "the matting alone is worth $20" (probably true).

If you see pieces you like, go ahead. You won't get steals, but you will pay less than in an expensive gallery with big overhead. But do your homework. Wentworth Gallery, for example, has gotten some bad press and had unhappy customers, but we've never had any problems with any of the pieces we bought. And some of the pieces are from contemporary artists who have since died, so those probably have appreciated in value. But even if they have not, we don't really care as we purchased them to enjoy on our walls and not as investments.

We have been going to the art auctions for 10 years now and have always loved them. This last cruise we ended up buying quite a bit of art (about 19 pieces) and they have all been delivered. We were very happy with the condition of the frames/paintings and love them dearly. We bought some to serve as investments. I would love to hear from some of you who bought art from Princess and how your experience was. Also, have you found them to be a good way to buy...prices? Have your paintings gone up in value? Just curious. We bought an original by Godard and an original by Behrens. We bought a Nechita Lithograph and some other lithographs and Giclees. I love Godards stuff and I think we will buy another on our next cruise. Any tips?

We attend the auctions on ever cruise, more so to learn and maybe if we find something we fall in love. On our alaskan cruise we bought a few pieces in the hundred dollar range. They were pumping the crowd on a signature picasso. They really worked the crowd "imagine you could have a picasso hanging in your house" almost got me thinking. On every ship they've pulled this one, how due to their volume buying they got some deal with some up and coming or newely established artist, then they pull out the book of the artist. Makes great show, I learn some new names, enjoy the show, and have bought because I like it and as a good souvenior but NEVER for investment.

Seriously, art has NO intrinsic value. Some poster made the comment they are better then stocks, really? Stocks at least you are in principle buying a portion of a company. In the end if you do your homework you can in principle value the company and figure out if you might be overpaying. Art is only worth what some one else will buy it from you.

I'm not saying they are selling junk, but to think they are an investment is a bit over the top. Think of how much art is being sold and imagine trying to unload your dime a dozen artist. Might be different you actually go to one of the Princess special art auction events where they bring the really expensive stuff on board.

This is a good read: http://fineartregistry.com/articles/far_art/art-auction-cruises.php

Edited by chipmaster

We attend the auctions on ever cruise, more so to learn and maybe if we find something we fall in love. On our alaskan cruise we bought a few pieces in the hundred dollar range. They were pumping the crowd on a signature picasso. They really worked the crowd "imagine you could have a picasso hanging in your house" almost got me thinking. On every ship they've pulled this one, how due to their volume buying they got some deal with some up and coming or newely established artist, then they pull out the book of the artist. Makes great show, I learn some new names, enjoy the show, and have bought because I like it and as a good souvenior but NEVER for investment.

Seriously, art has NO intrinsic value. Some poster made the comment they are better then stocks, really? Stocks at least you are in principle buying a portion of a company. In the end if you do your homework you can in principle value the company and figure out if you might be overpaying. Art is only worth what some one else will buy it from you.

I'm not saying they are selling junk, but to think they are an investment is a bit over the top. Think of how much art is being sold and imagine trying to unload your dime a dozen artist. Might be different you actually go to one of the Princess special art auction events where they bring the really expensive stuff on board.

This is a good read: http://fineartregistry.com/articles/far_art/art-auction-cruises.php

I don't think buying art as an investment is over the top. I bought the Behrens, Nechita, and a Godard and they are all worth much more than what I paid. My comment about the stock market was more of a joke...we still put money in the stock market especially now that everything is "on sale". When I posted this thread it was just to hear about what other people bought and their experience...not really about investments although this thread has seemed to turn that way. They are considered an asset as I have them insured and they are in our profolio as an asset; although I have absolutely no plans to ever sell any of them. But, anyway, I thank you all for your interesting posts and appreciate the feedback. If any of you out there are Godard fans, I would love to hear about the pieces you bought..I really love his work and I can't wait to buy a couple more.

You love the way they look; they remind you of your cruise experience;and you love them. These are all valid reasons for making a purchase. Whether or not they are good investments is another question. Why even be concerned about future value if they bring joy? Any investing involves risks. Knowledge may help to limit risk. If you are serious about collecting, get as much information as possible. Visit galleries, read collecting material,

learn about the secondary market by reviewing auction records, etc.. Research will be fun for the serious collector.

Just for insurance reasons only...I have replacement value on the three pieces I bought and for my justification for spending so much money on art...it is easier to say it is an investment vs. saying I spent a lot of money to have something nice to decorate my house with:p. It has peaked an interest in collecting, but I will probablly stick to a couple more Godards...we will see. I can't wait to get back to the States (we live in Germany now) so I can go visit some galleries.

Over the years' date=' my souveniers have always been small works of art. However, I buy directly from the artist ashore or in small shops where local artists sell their work. Lovely watercolors, a few oils, etc.

I sometimes go to the "art auction" onboard....but only for the free champagne. I wouldn't be interested in buying anything from an unknown entity.

Unless one is buying from a reputable auction house, buying for investment seems very chancey.

Yes, we do that too. We just bought 6 paintings on our cruise in Greece last November and just took them in to get the framming. We love them dearly. One of my favorite treasures we got from this little old lady selling her paintings along this off road in Tahiti. She painted with a tree/plant sap. It was a picture of a turtle and she only wanted $1.00 for it...we did not haggle for that price (I never would try and haggle a little old lady). We got it frammed for around $50.00 and it is one of my favorites.

• 1 month later...

On our cruise a few weeks ago we went to the art auctions for the first time. We enjoyed them a lot. They were very informative. We honestly went thinking we wouldn't be able to buy anything that we loved but we were so pleased when we were able to buy a Wyland Limited edition, signed lithograph. We love Wyland and have browsed in many of his galleries (dreaming). Today our picture came. It is beautiful, and way nicer than we had expected. We didn't buy for investment purposes, but because we loved the picture. We couldn't be happier and will hope to buy more on future cruises.

Just for insurance reasons only...I have replacement value on the three pieces I bought and for my justification for spending so much money on art...it is easier to say it is an investment vs. saying I spent a lot of money to have something nice to decorate my house with:p. It has peaked an interest in collecting, but I will probablly stick to a couple more Godards...we will see. I can't wait to get back to the States (we live in Germany now) so I can go visit some galleries.
We have always enjoyed the Princess art auctions, at least when they are run by someone who doesn't act like a Manhattan three card monte dealer. We've never spent big bucks and only buy what we like, not as investments. I find your posts interesting in part because we don't care at all for Godard and his dancing olives, but Behrens is our favorite living artist. My place of work has always had five Behrens prints scattered around it, but I never knew who the artist was until seeing one of his lovely hand-embellished prints on Princess that we bought for our house (thinking how familar the style and subjects looked--now where had I seen something like that before?) It may not be an appreciating asset, but we don't care--it's a great reminder of a Lake Como area vacation.

Les

We have always enjoyed the Princess art auctions, at least when they are run by someone who doesn't act like a Manhattan three card monte dealer. but Behrens is our favorite living artist.

Les

I agree that Behrens is a wonderful artist. The cruise was the first place that we had the opportunity to experience his art and in the future we would love to be able to purchase some of it to enjoy.

Just returned from a cruise on the Sapphire. It happened to be one of there "Art Connoisseur's" cruises. They had four artist on board. James Pratt who paints with only a pallet knife. John Kelly a Turner/Monet inspired artist, Guy Buffet who does the cartoonist fat waiter paintings you see from time to time, and Nobu Haihara(sp) who paints super realistic paintings that look like photos. All were incredible. The ones we really liked were all too spendy of course.

We came close to buying "Strawberries Gone Wild" by Godard but resisted the urge. We do love his work. The Olive Series is a hoot.

As far as the auctions go, you just have to take a lot of what the auctioneer says with a grain of salt. I mean come on..a print with a "retail value" of $1100 starting at $20 bucks. Ya right.

Seen something at the last auction that struck me as crazy. An "original"

Nechita that they put up for $35,000. No one bid so they took it down.

As we were walking out of the Explorers lounge thru the back exit, they had all these painting stacked 6 deep on each side of the hallway making it rather narrow. Looked down to see this 35K Nechita, a rather small painting, just sitting on the floor. Anyone could have kicked it, spilled there drink on it, anything.

Edited by Rollexx

We have always enjoyed the Princess art auctions, at least when they are run by someone who doesn't act like a Manhattan three card monte dealer. We've never spent big bucks and only buy what we like, not as investments. I find your posts interesting in part because we don't care at all for Godard and his dancing olives, but Behrens is our favorite living artist. My place of work has always had five Behrens prints scattered around it, but I never knew who the artist was until seeing one of his lovely hand-embellished prints on Princess that we bought for our house (thinking how familar the style and subjects looked--now where had I seen something like that before?) It may not be an appreciating asset, but we don't care--it's a great reminder of a Lake Como area vacation.

Les

FYI, Mr. Behrens was on the ship and he spent a great deal of time with us. Very charming man, as was his wife.

Hi Folks,

On our transcanal repo cruise to YVR on the Coral in 2006, I spent almost USD$5K on art and have not regretted it one bit.

In 2004 on RCCL's EOS, I walked away with a pair of Yitzak Tarkay's seriolithographs (Indigo Chapeau and Becky & Donna II) at an excellent price from Park West. Tarkay paints in that retro style reminiscent of the 30s, Miami's South Beach and the City of Napier in New Zealand. The colours and hues he uses in his watercolours are like a muted rainbow.

With Tarkay having studied in Israel it was interesting to note a young female Israeli artist who paints in the same style as Tarkay and who had studied in Tel Aviv. This artist who signs her work "Patricia" is known as Patricia Govezenky, and we were able to purchase one of her untitled original watercolours for USD$1600...a bargain. While in that same retro style as Tarkay, her colours are much more vivid.

On the same cruise we picked up the seriolithograph "Yesterday & Today" by Martiros Manoukian, a Russian artist who moved to the United States several years ago and it proudly hangs as the centrepiece of our living room. Price...USD$1850.00 (again a bargain).

Remembering that art like fine wine is in the eyes (or on the palate) of the beholder, I believe that there are some pieces at auction onboard that will be a treasure to you foever.

Ciao for now!!!

On our recent Emerald Princess cruise we were delighted to find that there was a purpose-built Art Gallery, and we spent some time with Mitch, the Art Auctioneer, who was very knowledgeable, but not at all pushy. He did tell us that Princess buys around $2M worth of art monthly, so quite big business for them.

We bought two pieces at auction, a limited edition print by Behrens of Venice (this was an early birthday present for me!), and a Buffet cartoon print of the Card Players. We looked at both several times before we bid for them, and they will be a good memory of our cruise.

We also learnt a lot about artists we were unfamiliar with,and met some interesting people at the auctions.

My personal view is that some of the original art could well be considered as an investment, and would give more visual pleasure than a pile of share certificates, particularly now. One of our fellow cruisers had checked out the internet, and some pictures were already considerably more expensive in the galleries than the bid price on board.

Just waiting for our shipments to arrive now! We now wish we had bought more...

I'm also in the camp that says "buy it if you enjoy it and can afford it ... but not for investment reasons." No cruise line is "losing" money selling these pieces at the low prices many go for. This is clearly a business. That's why I'm a bit suspect of the earlier poster who says they sat next to people who were buying large numbers pieces to sell in their gallery. Art is a very difficult item to resell at premium prices ... and has been even in "good" years. If you want to try to check the investment value of what you've purchased, simply try to sell the piece. All that said I still say "if you like it buy it and enjoy it ... just like you do with other things you purchase to make yourself happy!!!