On Board Credit - Have I been Conned!!

karjoe

We are about to embark on our first cruise (April 09 - Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean) and we have been told that because our previous booking (also in April on board the Sea Princess) had been cancelled - that if we booked another cruise with Princess we would get $250 per person on board credit. So we have booked the Emerald. However after reading some of the threads on this website - it appears the OBC could be in the form of 'worthless' coupons - has anyone been in this situation before...it's put a little damper on something we've been looking forward to for a while....we are also due to pay for the cruise this weekend!!!

Any information would be really appriciated

Also a BIG thankyou to all of you who replied to my previous question ref 'What to wear on the ship'icon7.gif

Have you checked your Princess Personalizer? Since Princess issued the credit, it should show up there and the booking number it is assigned to.

I have never heard of Princess giving you worthless coupons in place of a shipboard credit they offered. :confused::confused:

I still don't even know why they bother with those things. Waste of money on paper and printing if you ask me. ;)
Me, too. I know some folks use coupons occasionally, but you have to spend money (a good bit sometimes) to take advantage of them.

Just check your onboard account after you board, and you should find the credit listed there.

Just in case it is not listed, bring along a copy of any written documentation you have about the credit so you can present that if necessary.

And if you still need help when onboard, go to the Future Cruise Consultant and ask her to help you get the credit you have been promised.

The onboard credit is different than those promotional credits you see people talking about elsewhere.

My onboard credits don't seem to show on my cruise personalizer/captain's circle pages, but when I am on board they show as a (-)minus amount on my bill.

By the way, it is to your advantage to get your bill the evening before the cruise ends incase there is a mistake. Long lineups and time consuming on the morning of departure.

No, you should have a true cabin credit, and you probably do. Maybe you also just go the coupon worthless book as an extra. I still don't even know why they bother with those things. Waste of money on paper and printing if you ask me. ;)

Most people like you & me don't use them but there must be some that do otherwise they would have stopped long ago. :p I suppose the new cruisers must see some value in them.

I think the worthless coupons are what you get from your TA, when they offer a $50 OBC or $100 OBC. We had a bottle of wine valued at $20, a photo valued at $15 etc. At least mine was. It wasn't actually cash on my account that I could spend any way I wanted.

I've never had a credit from the cruiseline, but if Princess itself said you would have an on-board credit, it should be cash on your account.

We have received OBC's many times and they have ALWAYS been posted against the final payment that has been due at the end of the cruise. You can always check this at any time on your cruise by logging on to your bill on the TV in your cabin or at the purser's desk. Watch for the OBC for each person that is in the same cabin as often half of what you are expecting is posted to each account.

HiFi Guy

We are about to embark on our first cruise (April 09 - Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean) and we have been told that because our previous booking (also in April on board the Sea Princess) had been cancelled - that if we booked another cruise with Princess we would get $250 per person on board credit. So we have booked the Emerald. However after reading some of the threads on this website - it appears the OBC could be in the form of 'worthless' coupons - has anyone been in this situation before...it's put a little damper on something we've been looking forward to for a while....we are also due to pay for the cruise this weekend!!!

Also a BIG thankyou to all of you who replied to my previous question ref 'What to wear on the ship'icon7.gif

We are booked on the same cruise, and almost same circumstance. We have been bumped off of 2 other ships before landing on the Emerald. There is 4 in our party, and I too have been very concerned about the OBC. I have all my documentation's printed and ready to bring with us just incase. Hopefully it will be a smooth transaction, since booking was anything but. I did finally get my money back for having to change my flights, however it took months. Please Princess don't let us down!

Now there is the dream! Not something you can do on Princess yet.

They seriously don't have this yet? I could have sworn that they did when we sailed Golden 4+ yrs ago. I know Royal Caribbean and Celebrity allow you to look up your account via the T.V. Say you're kidding man:confused:

They seriously don't have this yet? I could have sworn that they did when we sailed Golden 4+ yrs ago. I know Royal Caribbean and Celebrity allow you to look up your account via the T.V. Say you're kidding man:confused:

Nope...and apparently plans to do so are waaay down on the priority list. Just check with the purser periodically... no problem.

First, sorry to hear your cruise was canceled.

When a cruise line cancels a cruise they are only responsible for refunding your cruise fare.

http://www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/index.jsp

Out of good faith, you are being compensated with $250 per person on board credit.

If you feel gypped, you should try calling customer service and ask to be compensated with a 50 percent discount on a future cruise.

Can't hurt to ask. :confused:

Strange. I wonder why. Who wants to wait at the Pursers and go over there just to peek at your account. I like doing it when the wife is getting ready for dinner. Oh well..too small of an issue but hope there too many small things that add up. Set to sail on CB 2/1 and not liking initial reports coming out of drydock.

I think the worthless coupons are what you get from your TA, when they offer a $50 OBC or $100 OBC. We had a bottle of wine valued at $20, a photo valued at $15 etc. At least mine was. It wasn't actually cash on my account that I could spend any way I wanted.

I've never had a credit from the cruiseline, but if Princess itself said you would have an on-board credit, it should be cash on your account.

Good luck trying to get a $20 bottle of wine - there's nothing at that price anymore - at least on Coral. We also got a photo, and don't do pictures (the new film shows a lot of wrinkles) - 20 years ago they had much better film.

Good luck trying to get a $20 bottle of wine - there's nothing at that price anymore - at least on Coral. We also got a photo, and don't do pictures (the new film shows a lot of wrinkles) - 20 years ago they had much better film.

We asked for Asti and paid the difference. ;)

ROFL!! I love it! It "MUST" be the film... thanks for clearing that up... explains a lot about my dissatisfaction with recent onboard portraits!!! :D

I am often wrong but usually when a cruise has been cancelled, you are fully refunded for that cruise and given either an fcc or possibly obc for the next one....this is a dollar amount and not in the form of the coupon book, which is usually associated with ta bookings. Are you booked through a ta or directly......if it was an fcc it came off the balance of the booking, if you booked through a ta, you cannot see finalcial breakdown, have you talked to ta or princess yet?

Film???? No film.. they have digital cameras.

See, well, that's the problem then! Ever since people have been taking my photos with those newfangled digital cameras, I can see all these wrinkles around my eyes. I think there must be something wrong with this digital technology because five years ago on film, I looked five years younger!

We are booked on the same cruise, and almost same circumstance. We have been bumped off of 2 other ships before landing on the Emerald. There is 4 in our party, and I too have been very concerned about the OBC. I have all my documentation's printed and ready to bring with us just incase. Hopefully it will be a smooth transaction, since booking was anything but. I did finally get my money back for having to change my flights, however it took months. Please Princess don't let us down!

I am curious why you are being bumped off 2 times - are you voluntarily bumped by accepting "Move Over" offer or Princess cancelled sailings?

Archived