Cruise Tour Information

Sox Fan Cruiser

We are doing our first cruise to Alaska this June. We are also doing a 3 day cruise tour afterwards.

Where do we get information on the cruise tour itself such as what to do after the cruise? How do we handle the luggae situation? How do we sign up for cruise tour excursions?

Will all this come in our cruise package?

Thanks all!

Who did you buy the cruisetour from? Be VERY careful that you know exactly what you've bought - on these short cruisetours you usually spend all your time on a bus and see little except through the window (no time for any excursions).

The information will come with your cruise documents, but Princess is particularly bad for being vague about what you get on the cruisetour. If you give us the cruisetour number/dates someone can probably fill in the blanks for you.

Haven't done Princess cruisetour, but our HAL cruisetour was a little vague on times too. Even when we got our documents, the itinerary was noticeably absent of times. You are on a bus and they can't say for sure that you are going to arrive at 5 pm, you might not get there until 5:15 or 5:30, then folks would be upset. They do have a schedule and try to stick to it, but it sometimes isn't possible. We were originally scheduled to leave Tok at 8:00 am, but when we arrived, the tour director went in and got our room keys, when he came back out and talked to the driver, they announced we would be leaving earlier at 7:00 am due to construction on the road between there and Fairbanks, but when the driver went to start the bus, it wouldn't start. They worked on it for over an hour, and I think we left at 8:30 am. So be prepared to just go with the flow.

Then we were scheduled for the 2:30 TWT at Denali, but by the time they got the bus loaded and we went to a Princess lodge to pick some folks up, we didn't get on the road until 3:00. So schedules are not set in stone.

Another tip, is to be sure you have some snacks with you. As you won't always be at a place where you can get something to eat. Our cruisetour was 8 days, not the shorter 3 that you are looking at, but we found we didn't arrive at our hotel until 5:00, 5:30 or 6:00 in the evening, and we usually eat dinner earlier than that. My sister-in-law is a diabetic and needs to eat throughout the day, so we always carried chips, peanuts, cookies, water, and even sometimes sandwich makings.

You should be able to look up on the Princess website what excursions are available at your different stops. On HAL, if there wasn't time for a certain excursion, it noted that. You were only allowed to sign up for excursions that you had the time at that stop for. We pre-booked those like 3 months before our sail date. HAL takes your credit card number and bills you immediately. I think Princess puts them on your account. And you will be given instructions once you are on the ship, as to what to do the last night before you debark. Luggage tags, info should all be placed in your cabin. We had to have our luggage outside the door at midnight, then when we debarked in the morning, we all met in the theatre, met our tour director and debarked the ship all together. We then went to the Westmark Hotel to drop our carry-ons and then had about 3 hours in Skagway before we were to meet at the train station for the trip up to the Yukon.

The thing I like about cruisetours is they do the schlepping of your luggage, and make sure you get where you are supposed to be. If you selected a certain tour for where it goes, you know you will see what there is to see along the way. They tell you when, where to be and you show up and sit back and enjoy the scenery and let the driver worry about the traffic, road conditions, directions, etc. Bus tours aren't for everyone, but I knew I had only 10 days off work, so no leisurely travel would have been possible. We covered over 1800 miles (according to our tour director) in that 8 days. We saw a lot of country and small towns along the way. There were restrooms on the bus, but I never had to use one, as we stopped for one reason or another about every 1 1/2 to 2 hours and there were restrooms at those stops.

Try to relax, things will come together. And remember, Alaska is the prize here. Enjoy your trip to the last Frontier. The scenery is amazing, and the wildlife unbelievable.

We are also booked for an 11 day Direct to the Wilderness cruisetour leaving Sept 5th.

This morning I happened to stumble into the information that I believe you are looking for. Go to http://www.princesslodges.com. On the home page you will see a block titled Alaska Lodges. Select where you are staying, scroll down to the middle of the page it will tell you the activities that are available at that particular lodge. Right click on the activity you are interested in. It looks just like the shore excursions listed for the ship. It gives the duration of the tour, price, etc. They also have a 1-800 number to ask questions. I spoke with an operator this morning and she advised me that all the contracts for the upcoming season have not been finalized with the vendors. Unfortunately what I was hoping to do at Denali is not out there.

Hope this helps

Roseanna

Thanks! That's all very helpful.

We are doing the 10 NIGHTS DIRECT TO WILDERNESS on the Diamond Princess June 6th.

We have already booked our excursions online for the cruise part but there is no listing of what they have to offer at the lodges.

8 Whittier/Mt. McKinley

Step off your ship and onto your railcar. The McKinley Express takes you directly to Talkeetna. Continue to the Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge for the night. Enjoy the rest of the day at your leisure.

9 Mt. McKinley/Denali

Travel by motorcoach to the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge. Upon arrival, take a Natural History Tour into Denali National Park. Spend the rest of the day at the lodge as you choose.

10 Denali/Fairbanks

This morning enjoy motorcoach sightseeing to Fairbanks. Cruise on an authentic sternwheeler riverboat down the Chena and Tanana Rivers. Overnight in Fairbanks.

11 Fairbanks

Your tour ends this morning in Fairbanks

I assume this is your tour. Only my opinion, but this is a very poor tour choice. Be sure to max your time in Talkeetna, and don't go direct to your lodge, 50 miles away. Make your plans and spend the day in Talkeetna, then shuttle there later. Don't waste your time going back and forth. Flightseeing is the top tour choice here in my opinion. You do realize, you are NOT going to get into Denali park and likely will not have any wildlife sightings?? Your Natural History tour, is completely lacking, you go only on the 16 mile public road. The Park Road is 90 miles. Key here is distance for wildlife and scenery. My min distance in for me, is Eielson, mile 66. Determine IF this is why you are going to Alaska??

At the very least, strongly consider adding at least a day in Fairbanks and get a rental car. There is plenty to see and do.

Haven't done Princess cruisetour, but our HAL cruisetour was a little vague on times too. Even when we got our documents, the itinerary was noticeably absent of times. You are on a bus and they can't say for sure that you are going to arrive at 5 pm, you might not get there until 5:15 or 5:30, then folks would be upset. QUOTE]

This board has the accurate information, not disclosed by the cruiselines. The biggest problem is the unknowing visitor who has no clue, which is the bulk of the first timers. With the time and cost getting to Alaska, I think it is an absolute problem with these purchases. Education is definately the key.

Sox Fan Cruiser,

If you want you may be able to change from the Natural History Tour to the Tundra Wilderness Tour. I called Princess to see if we could after reading on these boards that someone else did it. They told me I could but it would all have to be handled by my Travel Agent. Of course you would have to pay the difference. I had my TA call this morning to get us switched. I haven't heard otherwise so I'm assuming she got it taken care of.

Sox Fan Cruiser,

If you want you may be able to change from the Natural History Tour to the Tundra Wilderness Tour. I called Princess to see if we could after reading on these boards that someone else did it. They told me I could but it would all have to be handled by my Travel Agent. Of course you would have to pay the difference. I had my TA call this morning to get us switched. I haven't heard otherwise so I'm assuming she got it taken care of.

I actually only recommend that your agent cancel and get the Natural History tour refund for you and people book their own TWT or shuttle bus (you do realize, that the Toklat shuttle bus goes the EXACT same distance as the TWT for about $25? Very simple to do, by calling 800 6227275, then you get the accurate and direct information. Most agents know nothing about Denali- which in my opinion is supported by the sale of these worthless, poor cruisetour choices to begin with. Those that do book themselves direct, be certain to tell the reservation agent you have ALREADY paid the $10 park admission fee through Princess. Don't pay it twice. :)

When you sign onto the Princess cruise personalizer site, you can find a detailed itinerary. I printed mine off yesterday. It gives the time you leave one place and the time you arrive at the next place, including train departure and arrival times. It's very helpful.

Now I'm really nervous!! Budget Queen has got me worried.

Hanging around the lodge seems wondeful to me! What is in Talkeetna that I need to see?

The only long trip we have is the 5 hour to McKinley but it's in the train that sounds cool. Otherwise it's 2.5 and 3 hour tours. ;)

What is wrong with the Natural History Tour? Why is the Tundra Wilderness Tour better? Cost is not a concern to me so can you explain why we should switch?

I've never gone into a cruise with such trepidation now that I've started this thread? Different people have different tastes so I might actually like what you guys don't like about this tour. Specifics would help.

Thanks for your help.

The TWT goes twice as far into the park as the NHT does. There will be more chance to see wildlife.

I think the TWT goes at least 3 times as far into the park. Doesn't the NHT go only about 17 or 18 miles? The 2 times I've taken the TWT, it has gone about 62 miles (Stoney Hill overlook). Even in bad weather it goes about 53 miles.

Now I'm really nervous!! Budget Queen has got me worried.

Hanging around the lodge seems wondeful to me! What is in Talkeetna that I need to see?

The only long trip we have is the 5 hour to McKinley but it's in the train that sounds cool. Otherwise it's 2.5 and 3 hour tours. ;)

What is wrong with the Natural History Tour? Why is the Tundra Wilderness Tour better? Cost is not a concern to me so can you explain why we should switch?

I've never gone into a cruise with such trepidation now that I've started this thread? Different people have different tastes so I might actually like what you guys don't like about this tour. Specifics would help.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry, but the Denali Park veterans here would never recommend or consider the worthless NHT. This goes 16 miles on the public road. It's what I drive, SEVERAL times when I'm there for "fill in". Usually there isn't a lot if any wildlife and the scenery is lacking compared to interior. The other kick, is the Park Service runs this SAME route on a FREE shuttle bus.

The TWT goes to mile 53, if McKinley is viewable, farther to Stoney Point. But that isn't often. My min. distance in is Eielson mile 66. I would never consider any less. IF you are going to Alaska to SEE it the NHT is an extremely poor choice. Like going to Disneyland and never getting past the parking lot. My recommendation would be for you to consider changing this to an afternoon TWT or shuttle bus to Tolkat.

Yes it most certainly is longer, decide for yourself why you are coming to Alaska??

Yeah, now that I know that we get to the lodge at about 1:30 and the Princess tour leaves at 5, I have plenty of time to do what I want. I am going to do research and book something else.

I guess I'm a nervous nelly about about going outside the "princess itinerary".

But I still like the rest of it, with plenty of lodge time. I would rather hang around the lodge than hang out "in town". So I'm sticking with me itinerary.

And I just saved $600 a person by calling and checking on fares today. More to spend on excursions!! I guess my bonus will be spent in Alaska this year!! Hey, I'm still helping the US economy!!

Yeah, now that I know that we get to the lodge at about 1:30 and the Princess tour leaves at 5, I have plenty of time to do what I want. I am going to do research and book something else.

QUOTE]

IF you are accurate on this timing, again, sorry, but you will have no time to consider any other bus access into the park except your NHT. You can stop at the visitor center, would be about all you will have time for.

There's a 2pm Eielson shuttle and a 5:30pm Toklat shuttle, and some of the afternoon TWT's leave around 2-2:30 pm. Any of those are possibilities.

There's a 2pm Eielson shuttle and a 5:30pm Toklat shuttle, and some of the afternoon TWT's leave around 2-2:30 pm. Any of those are possibilities.

In my opinion, with buses unloading and waits they are not going to be able to make any 2pm bus, booked independently.

The Polychrome shuttle bus, (Toklat is 3pm) is a possibility, but they would need to be certain of return transportation, back to the lodge, which has been sketchy in the past that late.

Archived