Famous Chocolate Volcano Cake a disappointment on the Eurodam

novembre

I was so looking forward to the Choc. Volcano Cake in the Pinnacle, and I was SO disappointed. I sent mine back, and so did my daughter. Really, it was awful...just like uncooked chocolate cake batter.

Did we just have bad luck, or what? I remember reading someone complaining that it was dry. Well this was sure not dry....it was soupy...and unappetizing.

We got instead the Creme Brulee....which was excellent, as were was almost all of the food on the Eurodam.

The famous rice pudding in the Lido lived up to expectations....wonderful.

We had a great cruise and I to complain, but I'm curious to know if anyone else was disappointed (or pleased) with the CVC.

Nov

Eurodam, Dec 13/08

Good to hear the whole rest of your cruise was wonderful.

I've had at Chocolate Volcano Cake at least 15+ times in various Pinnacles on a number of the ships and once or twice it was not as good as other times. I didn't bother to send it back, that I remember....... it was ONLY dessert. :) Our cruises were so wonderful, I just couldn't get too bothered about a less than perfect volcano. It is true, IMO, that if it is one minute undercooked, it isn't great and if one minute over cooked, it isn't great. It has to be cooked exactly the right amount of time.

Hope you don't let one small disappointment become what you remember most.

Welcome back.

I would like to try the chocolate volcano cake when we go to the Pinnacle for the first time on our next cruise. My question is could I have mine sent to our cabin after dinner? I'm thinking I may not want it too soon after eating all the other wonderful food I've heard about in the Pinnacle, and would enjoy it more a little later. :)

I would like to try the chocolate volcano cake when we go to the Pinnacle for the first time on our next cruise. My question is could I have mine sent to our cabin after dinner? I'm thinking I may not want it too soon after eating all the other wonderful food I've heard about in the Pinnacle, and would enjoy it more a little later. :)

This is a dessert that is supposed to be served warm.

Taking it back to your cabin -- it will be cold later and taste awful.

The Pinnacle does not send food to the cabins.

We had the volcano cake and it was liquid with a ridge of cake around the edge. We had never had it before, so we didn't know enough to send it back. If that happens frequently, because it's so difficult to make, why don't they reject it in the kitchen? Overall, we were disappointed with the Pinnacle, so we won't go back to try again. On the other hand, the dining room food was better than we expected, so we came out ahead.

No. Sorry, it wouldn't work out well to send a volcano to your cabin and Pinnacle does not do room service......

Plan accordingly and eat a moderate amount for dinner leaving room for your dessert. :)

Have sailed with HAL many times and can't remember when I didn't have the volcano cake in Pinnacle. However, I remember once, on the Ryndam, when it was severely undercooked. Sent it back and the replacement was perfect. I think sometimes unusual things happen in an oven. I know there is a gremlin in mine at home. ----Penny

We're going to give the Pinnacle Grille another shot for the first time in about 10 years I guess...

I was looking forward to trying the CVC - so many people have raved about it!

But then again, after hammybee's description about ooze food...

Does anyone know if I can request Banana's Foster in the PG?

I think I only ordered dessert once on our cruise because everything else was so good and dinner was so social I didn't have time. Usually I ordered a room service dessert later if I wanted, and sometimes our dining room servers insisted on sending something back to the cabin with me. I agree that the chocolate volcano would not be good eaten too long after coming out of the oven. Have fun!!! Cherie

Archived