acapulco

bmacri

Other than the divers, I haven't heard much about what to do.

I've heard to get a driver, it costs about $30 pp for 3-4 hours.

But, no one ever says what they go see.

Anyone have any interesting destinations while in Acapulco?

It's a huge city; there must be something to see and do.

What is just outside Acapulco?

Acapulco is an older city (built in the 50's and maintained mexican style) with lots of traffic. It is far south so it is also humid and hot. The divers are just ok. They are near the ship so you could take a quick cab up there and see them for free. The best view is of the bay as you head in. We often go visit the rv parks as we rv as a hobby. The traffic is brutal and the cabs lack a/c. In all honesty, if you are on the spirit like we do, take a pleasant tour, after that, take a cab up for a quick look at the divers, then take a cab for the unreal look of the night time bungy jumping at the club paradise, then have a drink at the port bar where all the passengers pass by real close and see the stager show as they crawl back to the ship. The traffic is just too brutal to venture out on your own and enjoy. There are some great views of a small bay southerly, and we once went to the botanical gardens. We also rented a car once for a nominal fee from a major car rental agency, but the traffic once again was brutal

IMG_2829.jpg

I'm thrilled to get your information about Zijuan and Acapulco. Pictures are worth a thousand words. I'm glad for the heads up about the traffic in Acapulco. I get nervous around lots of traffic so I know now what to expect and what to try to avoid.

Is there such a thing as getting out of town?

Is it a good idea just to walk around close to the docks?

How far away are the divers?

Thank you so much.

The traffic is something! Last time we went, we hopped a city but to a great little bar/resturant on the beach. Mostly locals. Had a few drinks, lunch, swam, and walked the beach for shells. The band started and we danced. One of our group sang with them. Some of the girls went shopping somewhere. Very relaxing day. We did have a tour guy that latched on to us at the pier. He flagged the bus down, but you could too. Very cheap, like $2 or something.

My husband and I spent one week at the Mayan Palace last May and we used a very kind man named Ismael for all of our transportation needs during that week.

I found him on TripAdvisor and just can't recommend him enough.

He offers a day tour of the city that is just wonderful.

He will take you to do anything you can think of and I have a ton of photos if you're so inclined.

His email is: "Ismael Silva" ismael_silva1772@yahoo.com

Best of luck!

Hi :)

We did a private tour in Acapulco with Rosie...it was a great time. Your price is right, but the time we spent was more like 6 or 7 hours. I have lots of photos here: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562576906urGkgk?start=24

And my review with details of the tour, and other ports is here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=38501

I really enjoyed the vistas all around of the city....we went to La Paz Chapel with breathtaking views....and of course, the cliff divers show among other things.

Hope it helps. :)

As stated above, Acapulco is a very big and very third world city. They have major league traffic. However, within walking distance of the ship is the Zocalo, Fort San Diego and the cathedral, all very interesting and worthwhile diversions. There are many beaches along the bay, we went to Playa Condesa, parked our selves at a palapas restaurant and enjoyed the afternoon. There is also a water park, which I hear is a lot of fun if you are there with the kids.

My partner used to be Maitre'D on Crystal Cruises and when in Acapulco he always went to Tres Marias at Laguna Coyuca about 20 mins taxi ride from cruise terminal. They have a website so check it out. When we went back last year Maria remembered him from 8 years ago and treated us like family. We waterskiied on the lagoon and kayaked, then we had fresh red snapper, guacamole and lots of cold beer. On one side of the road is the lagoon and on the other is the beach, bit too rough to swim but lovely nonetheless. I would go there again in a heartbeat! :)

Yesterday afternoon at 1:00 PM we went on the Shotover jet Boats in Acapulco with Intersol Tours. They took us back to our hotel in the early afternoon. They picked us up last night at 8:00 PM and we went to La Perla Restaurant to watch the Cliff Divers Show and have appetizers and cocktails. The divers had 3 dives while we were at la perla and we got to see the Torch Dive. That was very cool. By the time we saw the last dive we were getting pretty happy from all of the drinks. It was a grand finish.

It is 6:37 AM as I type this note. We are leaving for Taxco at 7:30 AM also with Intersol Tours to visit Taxco for the afternoon. Apparently we are not getting back until about 9:00 PM tonight.

We flew into Acapulco and 6 of us will be flying back home and 2 of us will be boarding the Carnival Spirit on Tuesday Feb. 3.

Tomorrow we are all going to Palao Island Club for supper and will snorkel around the island.

We have packed as much as we can into our vacation time and have used Intersol Tours for everything. They have provided all transportation, all tours and have been amazing!! I mean AMAZING!!! We have been having so much fun I can not put it into words. You really have to check them out. http://www.intersoltours.com I have to eat breakfast. Have to leave soon. Hope this helps you on your journey.

I am looking for information on seeing the cliff divers but seeing them from a boat. Does anyone konw of tours by boat that go out to see the cliff divers? I found one on Shore Excursions but it does not go out on the weekends. Is the pier close to any boat excursions that anyone knows about? We are going to be there on the Satruday, March 7. Thanks for any info from those that have been there.

I'm looking at the Intersol Tour company in Acapulco. We might do the city/divers excursion. Has anyone done this that can give any advice?

Like, what time of day to go (the tours are 4 hours long) ending with the divers.

Or, any other thoughts? Good restaurants?

I hear the traffic is gruesome.

Just got back from the Spirit, the traffic in Acapulco is brutal not to mention the way they drive (omg) it is amazing that it is not one huge accident. We did the kayak excursion from the ship. Fort Diego is across the street from the pier but it would be like crossing the freeway in Los Angeles. Nothing that I could see within a short walking distance, but tons of taxi's parked outside of the pier gate. They also have a mini mall with a bar within the pier gates.

Yesterday afternoon at 1:00 PM we went on the Shotover jet Boats in Acapulco with Intersol Tours. They took us back to our hotel in the early afternoon. They picked us up last night at 8:00 PM and we went to La Perla Restaurant to watch the Cliff Divers Show and have appetizers and cocktails. The divers had 3 dives while we were at la perla and we got to see the Torch Dive. That was very cool. By the time we saw the last dive we were getting pretty happy from all of the drinks. It was a grand finish.

It is 6:37 AM as I type this note. We are leaving for Taxco at 7:30 AM also with Intersol Tours to visit Taxco for the afternoon. Apparently we are not getting back until about 9:00 PM tonight.

We flew into Acapulco and 6 of us will be flying back home and 2 of us will be boarding the Carnival Spirit on Tuesday Feb. 3.

Tomorrow we are all going to Palao Island Club for supper and will snorkel around the island.

We have packed as much as we can into our vacation time and have used Intersol Tours for everything. They have provided all transportation, all tours and have been amazing!! I mean AMAZING!!! We have been having so much fun I can not put it into words. You really have to check them out. www.intersoltours.com I have to eat breakfast. Have to leave soon. Hope this helps you on your journey.

We got back early from our Taxco Trip. About an hour ahead of time. The city was amazing and very old world. The streets are narrow and inlaid with black stones and marble. All the store fronts were black and white. The silver and history were beyond amazing. Still a long journey, 6 hours round trip.

The next day Feb. 1 we went to Palao Island Club by glass bottom boat and had a great supper. A couple of our friends rented snorkel gear from Intersol and we took turns looking for fish along the rocks. Open bar was included so we also had quite a few tequila shots. Vive Mexico!

On Feb 2 we were all recovering from our overindulgences and mostly stayed around the pool. In the evening a driver from intersol picked up for a really excellent supper at Fisher's Seafood Restaurant and Oyster bar. WOW! Excellent food. Really excellent. It was a little pricey, well worth the expense. You get what you pay for.

Feb 3 and we all had to say our goodbyes to Acapulco and intersol once again provided transportation for our group. We had a great time in Acapulco and owe our flawless vaction to the professionals at Intersol Tours in Acapulco. They are a swell bunch of folks and are good at what they do. We were all a little sad to return home after escaping reality but now we have great memories and look forward to our next escape.

• 2 weeks later...

There are many things to see/do at Acapulco but whether you'd like them depends on you. It's not a third-world city, and people who might say that probably were not there. One might say Detroit, Los Angeles, and Chicago are third-world cities as well. It's also not a 50's city. More development is underway in Acapulco than anyplace else in Mexico resort destinations at the moment. Its's a big city, yes - with many different parts.

I've uploaded hundreds of photos to my online albums for Acapulco and if you click on the link in my signature line below you'll find them and have the opportunity to see much of the city.

If you like hiking/outdoor activities and historical sites . . . there's the Palma Sola Archaeological Zone in the national park above the city. You can also wander the historic center of the city and the Malcecon - both of which begin almost as you walk off the ship. There are beaches for everyone to enjoy, with bars and restaurants on the waterfront. There are bay cruises, also. The cliff divers are unique and most people report enjoying/appreciating that sport.

In addition to any cruise-affiliated tours/trips, you can arrange in advance for a driver/car to give you a more personal tour - and if you do that tell the driver you don't want to visit the trinket markets or their homes (where they try to convince you to give them a better tip because they're poor, etc.).

Lots to see and do - have a look at the photos for more ideas.

Enjoy the trip!

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I along with our son and his wife just returned from the same trip you will be on. This is our favorite cruise from the West Coast. So much so, that this was our second time.

Acapulco -- Both times we used the services of Ines Maria Carranza who we had read about on previous Cruise Critic posts. Ines is a wonderful and very warm person. If you choose to use her I am sure you will love her as much as we do. We spent about 7 hours with her and toured Acapulco from one side to the other. The cost was $40 pp. She can also take you for a shorter time for about $30 pp. The other posts that talk about the traffic are absolutely true. HORRENDOUS! However, we were very comfortable riding with Ines, she is a very safe driver. That was quite important to me! She will take you wherever you wish to go, or offer suggestions if you don't know what you want to see/do. I would definitely recommend seeing the divers, visiting the Flamingo Hotel where all the movie stars from the 40's & 50's used to hang out (if you have time you might want to have one of their famous Coco Loco drinks, but be sure you have someone to share it with!) The Acapulco Princess Hotel is another gorgeous stop. You may want to have her take you through the Peace Chapel. Another incredible view is from an old hotel that is in the process of being restored. Don't remember the name of it but she would know -- it overlooks the harbor and you have a great view of the Spirit Ship. I know we did many more things but I'm having trouble remembering it all. Oh yes, we also had a very inexpensive dinner at a local place not far from the ship. Their specialty is beef tacos -- fabulous!! Ines has lived in Acapulco all her life and she certainly knows her way around. She also (very discretely) checked out the bill for anything we paid for to make sure we were getting a fair exchange rate (usually we were not!). Oops, almost forgot her email addy. It is pinkladyaca@hotmail.com I think there are a couple of pink ladies, be sure you get Ines! If this gets deleted for whatever reason you can email me for her contact info. I'm beachwahine@sbcglobal.net

Ixtapa/Manzanillo -- Once off the ship walk down to the end of the dock and you will find a ticket booth on the right side. $3.50 pp for a round trip ticket on a water taxi to Las Gatas Beach. For less than $30, including tip, my husband and I had a table, an umbrella, 2 chairs, 2 lounges, mucho beers, tacos, guacamole, etc. Nice beach, very laid-back. Venders are not at all pushy. I enjoyed buying bead necklaces from Juanita who strolls the beach with her bundles of pretty handmade necklaces. If you see any ceramics you like on the beach I found them cheaper than those at the dockside open air market. Some day I'm going to allow enough time to wander through the stores in town -- maybe next trip.

Manzanillo -- We LOVE Las Hadas resort. Taxi ride will be between $12 - $15 per cab each way. It is about 1/2 hour from the ship. There is a $30 pp entrance fee but you are given coupon books that are worth 300 pesos each that you use for food and drinks. Another post mentioned using pesos instead of dollars. Probably a good idea since they gave us the worst exchange rate of anywhere. However, it's so much easier to not have to buy pesos and then possibly have them left over. When we were there last week there was a water exercise class just starting up that my daughter in law and I joined in. It was fun! Gorgeous, gorgeous place!!!

Hope this gives you some ideas.

We don't really do the "excursions," as we like to walk off the dock into town and see things on our own. We're both 67, but in fairly decent shape. We definitely qualify as cheap skates. Here's how we spent our time ashore about four years ago (2005 prices):

Acapulco - we walked to see the cliff divers, which is about one mile from the dock. There are two prices to see the divers - $12 from the same hotel that the tour operators go to, and $7 from the "divers" location, which is a bit further away. We did neither, but walked down to the road that is even further away. We could barely see them, but who cares. I can remember seeing the divers on black and white TV. We then walked back to the dock area, and toured the old fort - San Diego, which costs $7 per person. Interesting. We got our exercise, and saved $$. We also stopped at a local internet cafe coming down the road from the cliff divers, spending 7 pesos ($0.50 per hour) to check email. Also got two Cokes at a local little store for $0.90 (cold). We weren't bothered by the trinket sellers or cab drivers - they're kind of fun, actually.

Since we're from the Los Angeles area, I guess we didn't notice that the traffic was so bad???????????

We don't really do the "excursions," as we like to walk off the dock into town and see things on our own. We're both 67, but in fairly decent shape. We definitely qualify as cheap skates. Here's how we spent our time ashore about four years ago (2005 prices):

Acapulco - we walked to see the cliff divers, which is about one mile from the dock. There are two prices to see the divers - $12 from the same hotel that the tour operators go to, and $7 from the "divers" location, which is a bit further away. We did neither, but walked down to the road that is even further away. We could barely see them, but who cares. I can remember seeing the divers on black and white TV. We then walked back to the dock area, and toured the old fort - San Diego, which costs $7 per person. Interesting. We got our exercise, and saved $$. We also stopped at a local internet cafe coming down the road from the cliff divers, spending 7 pesos ($0.50 per hour) to check email. Also got two Cokes at a local little store for $0.90 (cold). We weren't bothered by the trinket sellers or cab drivers - they're kind of fun, actually.

Since we're from the Los Angeles area, I guess we didn't notice that the traffic was so bad???????????

We were thinking of walking up to the cliff divers and Hotel Flamingo. I realize it was several years ago when you did this and I wondered if anyone had done it more recently and if it was still a safe area to wander?

We were thinking of walking up to the cliff divers and Hotel Flamingo. I realize it was several years ago when you did this and I wondered if anyone had done it more recently and if it was still a safe area to wander?

I don't know why it would be different now. It's walking in a very urban environment, mostly past retail shops. We walked in the opposite direction during a more recent visit, to a mall located along the main road. Again, in a very urban environment. Once you get close to the hotels along the area of the cliff divers, you will see all of your cruise shipmates getting out of cabs and buses.

Hello ALL! :)

We did this 8 night cruise to Acapulco in November for my 50th birthday..it was a TOTAL BLAST!!

Acapulco~ we too ROSIE'S TOUR with almost 30 of us. 3 vans full and it was at least a 7 hour excursion visiting all kinds of places. The Chapel and Las Brisas with the most amazing views. An old hotel with views you cant even imagine, a little shopping, lunch and ending up with the cliff divers. AMAZING and well worth the $30 in my opinion.

CASA BLANCA HOTEL~ View from the top (rosies tour)

m_ccc36659dc27451ab79cde6032608d831.jpg

IXTAPA~ We went to Las Gatas...a short boat ride and a nice beach to relax on for near to nothing for beer, home made chips and guacamole and a FUN BANANA BOAT RIDE TOO!!

Manzanillo~ Las Hadas resort was a beautiful resort to relax at with nice pools and a little harbor next door. $25 bucks pp but they give you that much per person in food vouchers. We ordered food and lots of waters and never used all our vouchers...WELL WORTH IT for a relaxing good time!

Hopefully, I didnt get the ports mixed up! LOL

GOOD LUCK!

Julie :D

We used a private driver that I found on Trip Advisor (CC's sister site) named Sebastian Hernandez contact information: eskp_rsh@hotmail.com

We went to see Chapel of the Peace, Flamingo Hotel, Diego Rivera mural, shopping at the flea market and to the cliff divers. We wanted a private tour for 2 so we paid $50pp for about a 4-5 hour tour. Sebastian allowed us to spend as much time at each place as we wanted and went out of his way to make sure that we had a great time. I would highly recommend his services. He made sure we had great pictures and even would tell us where to stand to get the best shots and used our camera so we could both be in the pictures. He is proud of his city and knows a lot of history of the area.

I can tell you that the traffic is absolutely horrid in Acupulco-- (I used to live in Houston so traffic is not new to me!) I also did not like all the drivers literally grabbing at you when you get off the boat to take their tours. It made me very uncomfortable! I wanted to make sure that we would have a driver that spoke english and a car with air conditioning--even though it was the first week of March it was still about 90 degrees the day we were there!

Enjoy your stay--hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...

Coral Princess :- FT LAUDERDALE . ACAPULCO 22ND MARCH - 4TH APRIL 2OO9:

We have just returned from Acapulco ( myself and wife ).We used the services of ' RUDY' TOUR BY VAN. I had

arranged this tour of Acapulco independantly on line before leaving the UK.True to his word 'Rudy' was waiting for us to

disembark at the port. He took us on a wonderfull tour of Acapulco.He speaks excellent english and what he doesn't

know about Acapulco probably isn't wodh knowing about.We stopped for lunch at a typical mexiacan restaurant (El

Zoritto - great food which Rudy recommended ) .At no time did he pressure us into anything not even the choice of the

restaurant as he says it's your tour you make the decisions he didn't take us to his 'friends shop or restaurant '- you

know what i mean.The transport provided is very clean and has air con and he also provides complimentary drinks. (I did

have transfers provided in my hoiday package provided by princess cruises to my hotel from the port which i decided not

to take up) Having corresponded with Rudy by email before leaving the UK he assured me that our luggage would be safe

in the transport provided and supervised whilst on the tour WHICH IT WAS ll this meant that instead of checking in at

our hotel we were able to go straight on a tour of Acapulco,or if you wanted he was prepared to take you to your hotel

first. Our particular tour lasted approx 7 hrs with no extra or hidden costs -he took us to some places that we had not

discussed in our itinary which was an interesting and pleasant supprise.There was another couple of cruise critic members

from the US with us on this tour. Rudy is a very informative tour guide and is very proud of his city and country he just

can't do enough for you and i would highly recommend his services if he isn't the top tour guide in Acapulco he's got to

be in the first 1 - YOU JUST CAN'T GO WRONG IN MY OPINION !!!!!!!!!!!

Here are the contact details for ' Rudy 'of Tour By Van Acapulco

http ://www.tourbyvan.com

info@tourbyvan.com

Archived