No Formal Nights?

John3775

I will be on the Legend March 14th and noticed the cruise has 0 formal nights. There is always at least one on all the past Seabourn cruises I have been on. Is Seabourn trending into more casual. I can't say I like this new trend. I guess I'll have to put on the the tux one night anyway.

I will be on the Legend March 14th and noticed the cruise has 0 formal nights. There is always at least one on all the past Seabourn cruises I have been on. Is Seabourn trending into more casual. I can't say I like this new trend. I guess I'll have to put on the the tux one night anyway.

Was this for a Carribbean cruise? It appeared that Seabourn was cutting down on formal nights on Caribbean cruises--maybe now they are done! To bad! Don

I think we are in the midst of a longer term transition away from required formal nights. Compare today to five or ten years ago and you can see the difference. Five or ten years from now I doubt there will be any formal nights. It's a perfect storm of younger demographics sailing, luggage restrictions on airlines and a less formal attitude to life in general.

Hi, John. I've been to the Caribbean with Seabourn three times. It's a really nice itinerary, and I like to dive, so I just loved the cruises. However, last year Seabourn stopped having formal nights on its Caribbean cruises....except for the Christmas/New Year's cruises. Unless I can get over it (formal night is one of my favorite things about Seabourn), I don't think I'll be in the Caribbean with them anymore. So, you've got company in your disappointment!

Jane

Well it is good to know that all of us Seabourn veterans have the same opinion on formal nights. The reason I specifically have chosen this type of cruise for the last couple of years is because I was on a Silversea ship in the Caribbean and there were at least 30 kids on board. Plus I thought the smaller Silversea ships were going downhhill a bit in service and room quality. But I have noticed through the years that there are more dark suits on formal nights vs. black ties.

The formal night question seems to come up frequently:rolleyes:

On the Christmas Caribbean cruise there were two formal nights in a week's sailing. I enjoyed it and I thought everyone looked great. However, some of the guests didn't wish to dress up - they simply ate at 2 on the formal nights (which had excellent cuisine, service and presentation on the two nights we ate there ... it was in no way an inferior alternative). The "formal" night routine didn't bother them - they had a choice. It certainly didn't bother me when we met our less formal new friends for a nightcap in the Club - we just looked a bit "smarter" (IMO) than they did.:D

But, I also empathize with Granny's point of view - a couple of years ago a mid-December Caribbean cruise had a single formal night. I thought that was a total waste of space in the suitcase!

I count myself among those who enjoy the formal nights, but I also respect those who don't. For me, the service is the reason why I continue to cruise on Seabourn.

Most veterans and "regulars" DO want formal nights to continue!

Guests that don't care to dress or attend the formal Captain's receptions or Club parties are welcomed in the "2 Veranda" restaurant. Even Country Club elegant nights, most Guests dress for cocktails and dinner ~~it's Seabourn!!

Martita B.

I think Seabourn is adjusting its dress code with an eye to the future, not to the past.

You`re right and carting formal wear, maybe halfway around the world, for a couple of nights ???. We have to adjust to the world we now live in and smart/casual/semi/formal is much easier to enjoy and live with. :)

Just like Cunard, one of the joys of sailing Seabourn are the formal nights. If Seabourn start doing away with formal nights then I'll start looking elsewhere.

The problem is that SB is not the only luxury cruise line that is trending away from formal. On Silversea one is starting to see more and more dark suits instead of tuxes. On Regent same thing. Crystal seems to adhere most strongly to formal wear but I would never give up small, all inclusive ships just to put on a black tie. And I doubt they will stay so formal in another few years. So unless we can book a few weeks at Brideshead where is there to go?

I have never sailed Seabourn (Yet!) but went with SeaDream in the Caribbean in great part because of no formal nights. As a veteran of 27 Cunard transatlantics, I certainly like to dress the part in the evenings on those crossings but, IMHO, stiff collars and ties do not fit with salt, sand, and sunburn! Then add in the hassle of checking bags and, well, the times are changing.

All the best,

Jim.

I guess what it really comes down to is choice. Every cruise line has it's targeted clientele. And the 5 and 6 star ships are certainly no exception. Those of us that prefer Seabourn, I am sure, are not the type of folks that are into rock climbing at sea, and 400+ participants at bingo night. What I have found that we are into, is relaxing high quality evenings with our fellow passengers, and if "dress up" is one of the options, there are those of us that like a few "gala" evenings at sea. What Seabourn does so well is that they GIVE US A CHOICE. Even on "suggested" formal, black tie nights, this is only required in the main restaurant, not at the other Restaurant 2 dining venue. It is never required in the lounges/clubs. I think the cruise line does well by us by continuing to give us this choice. If they eliminated formal nights altogether, I would be a bit upset. But let me tell you, if I feel like dressing up for the Captain's welcome party, I will!!

Gigismom

Let's remember that the option to dress informally in Restaurant 2 and use the lounges on formal nights is a recent change. A few years ago one was not permitted in the bar or lounges on formal night after sixPM if not dressed formally. This change is part of the overall trend I was referring to in my earlier post. Who knows where all the luxury lines will be in another five years!

Also with my apologies to GrannyLorr, I am very disappointed in this trend away from the formal nites. I won't rehash all of the arguements in favor of keeping them( we seem to beat this dead horse once a year on this message board and no one is likely to change their mind). Let me just say that there is not shortage of cruise lines for people who don't want to dress up and too few for those of us that do. We are going on the Baltic cruise in July with friends who do not enjoy dressing up but that will not stop Sailor Boy from donning his tux and me from putting on my dressy dresses( including the emerald silk halter number I just bought yesterday for the trip!!!).

I bet you look dashing Dan!

I'm still fairly new to seabourn, but really enjoy dressing up. This is one of many reasons for sailing SB. I live in such a casual world back home and it's refreshing (and civilized) to see everyone dressed and looking wonderful.

I do understand the difficulty in having to pack formal wear for one night only.

I guess my point is, that as a newer sailer with SB, I chose SB for many reasons including the formal evenings. So they are certainly not catering to this new sailer!

Regarding cancelled formal nights - On my last Caribbean cruise I had confirmed both with my travel agent AND Blue Lagoon Dr that there would be TWO formal nights. When I arrived on the ship, I learned there was only ONE scheduled formal night. Well, many of us had packed for two formal nights, so we asked chef if we could still do a formal night menu, complete with the fabulous 'formal night only' bon bons, triple creme brulee and 'viola' - and he agreed, so we organized a table for 10 and did it anyway. This is Seabourn after all, and you CAN always go more formal than is suggested. You simply have to ask and give them ample notice.

I have also been on cruises where many passengers dress very elegantly/formal EVERY night, regardless of the dress code in the Herald.

In the past, Seabourn would only allow men in the Restaurant for dinner with jackets, and they would stop you if you didn't have one, politely reminding you of the dress code. That has changed, unfortunately.

Maybe the Sky Bar Grill should be open more often in more casual ports, like the Caribbean, for those preferring a more casual dining setting, as Veranda Cafe does get fully booked quite often on some cruises.

I don't understand why they are going more AWAY from formal nights when they very clearly state that it is OPTIONAL!! If you don't want to dress up, then don't, but I think more of us than not prefer the formal nights. I too will look elsewhere if they go all informal.

no appologies necessary Chairsin...everyone is entitled to make their own decisions what they wear. We know where we will be dining next time we are onboard and are more than happy with that decision. Our luggage allowance is 30kilos and our trip will be for almost 7 weeks.....so the decision has to be whether we take formal clothes to wear for the grand total of about 12 hours, or enough "other" clothes to last us 7 weeks.....doesnt take too much figuring out! :D Now if the cruise was from Oz...it would be a different matter! We actually have one flight London to Copenhagen that only allows 20 kilos!! :eek: No idea how I am going to manage that one!

I don't care, one way or the other, but the cancellation of all formal nights would certainly not be a reason to look for another line. After all, one can dress up or down and find happiness at mealtimes.

I happen to be one of those who enjoys putting on my tuxedo as my normal life is very casual too. And it takes no more effort or space to pack a tux than a dark suit (though the jacket of a dark suit can double as a blazer.) I do think, however, the rule should be itinerary dependent. One formal night on a 7 night Caribbean cruise requires too much extra packing in light of luggage limitations now. And no matter what those of us who like to dress say the overall trend will dictate what happens in the future.

I can remember TA crossings on the SS France or QE2 where every night except first and last was formal and those two nights required coat and tie. Last time I crossed on QM2 I was all decked out in my tux and kept running into men in jeans. So I had another martini and shrugged it off!!!!

Archived