No Formal Nights?

John3775

I have to disagree that only a 200 passenger ship can provide a good crossing. I have crossed on the original Queen Elizabeth (AS A CHILD) , the France, the QE2 and the QM2, as well as on the Silver Whisper which carries 384 passengers, not that many fewer than the Odyssey. All were different but all provided something unique. The France and QE2 in particular were extraordinary experiences. I, for one, do not intend to prejudge what the experience will be like on the Odyssey. I have faith in SB and hope that I will love it as much as the triplets.

In theory I agree... But in actuality it would be like wearing a costume to a non-costume party... Kind of out of place...

Host Dan

A view from the other side of the formal/informal divide. I agree with some modifications:

"But in actuality it would be like wearing a non-costume to a costume party... kind of out of place"

To me the formal dinners are a "costume party". I do not like them. I can tolerate a suit/tie, jacket/tie but I'm sorry, the idea that a tux is essential for dinner does not appeal. If most of the men on a given cruise line were wearing tuxes for formal events and I really wanted that particular cruise, I would comply but I sure would look for alternatives. If Odyssey goes less formal,to me that would be a real incentive to book, and I suspect that if Seabourn is considering becoming less formal that is a recognition that many people do not consider the formal nights an essential part of the cruise experience. On the other hand, I would not want to see shorts and T-shirts in the dining room. To me, the ambiance is not reduced with the men dressed in "business formal" or country club casual. I am considering the Odyssey "The America's Odyssey" cruise (along with other luxury competitors) and a move to minimum formal nights would probably swing the decision.

I see this thread is still active, lots of good thoughts and opinions swirling around. Does anyone know if formal nights are still scheduled on most itineraries, or are they doing away with them all together? I know Caribbean cruises won't have them (except the holidays); I just wondered if all the Seabourn cruises are going to be jettisoning them.

Jane

For our 54 day cruise Seabourn says, "evenings with black tie (optional) attire suggested: 14." So 14 formal nights...with a bit of leeway built in for those who don't want to comply. In the Restaurant every night will be designated either casual, elegant casual or black tie optional. Actually it looks like most nights will be elegant casual - guys with jackets but no tie required. This seems similar to Cunard (unless things have changed) and dressier than Princess (who still has formal nights).

I can't imagine not dressing for dinner and it's just about as easy to put on something "formal" as something more casual. We are two more who enjoy the opportunity to dress up while cruising. Maybe we are just set in our ways...been doing it for too long to change now!

Cheers, Dee

I think it is fairly obvious that a majority of Seabourn veterans enjoy formal nights onboard. It isn't about snobbery. It isn't about "class systems." Sure there are some that would prefer to be a bit more casual and that is why Seabourn has options. But there is just something about putting the tux on and enjoying an evening on probably one of the best, if not the best, cruiselines in the world. Who doesn't look forward to checking out the menu before a formal evening? I guess some of us feel that a bit of tradition is dying and it will be missed.

As I said before, my Caribbean cruise coming up in March has (0) formal nights. I am traveling with my girlfriend and two friends and they have been instructed that we are having our own formal night and to bring the appropriate wears. I didn't hear one complaint.

Jane - thanks for your good wishes. We are looking forward to this (most likely) once in a lifetime treat.

John - that is a great idea. We did the same when there were 9 of us doing a 50 day cruise on the old R8. Renaissance had no formal nights so we had our own. I think other pax were often envious as we were obviously having so much fun.

Cheers,

Dee

We are taking the Pride from Athens to Copenhagen for 60 days, we have paperwork on only 3 legs at the moment. We have 9 "black tie optional" nights so far and based on those figures I am expecting it to be a total of 14 for the entire trip.

It seems as if the shorter cruises are going to be less formal.

Jean

My husband and I are booked on the Spirit next month and received our paper work

yesterday. It informs us we have four formal nights we also have another booking for

May in the Med. which we have been told one formal night. Enquiring with my Travel

Agent who just returned from the Legend - yes they did the usual formal nights.

However Seabourn told her that Caribbean cruises will have NO formal nights and again

we have one booked but we are not now happy with this change.

Hi Miss Jet Set! Welcome to the CC boards! Congratulations on your first post! We will also be on the Spirit next month - boarding in HK. Is that where you are getting on? Hope we get to meet.

BTW there is a thread titled "Spirit HK-Istanbul." Have a look and you'll see we are talking about some of the ports.

Cheers!

Dee

This just in from Seabourn..

Formal nights have NOT gone away. 7 day cruises will have at least 1 formal night, longer cruises will have 2 or more. Caribbean cruises will not have any formal nights with the exception of holiday cruises. There was a mistake in a particular upcoming European cruise document that indicated no formal nights. This has been addressed, and all cruisers on that voyage will be notified of the correct dress code.

This is good...

Host Dan

Yea -- we would be disappointed if our future Med cruises lacked formal nights -- I suppose in that case we would be two of those passengers who dressed up anyway. And nothing wrong with being accused of wearing a "costume" -- according to my dictionary " costume : a prevalent fashion of dress; a set of clothing appropriate for a particlualr occasion." BTW, is the Panama Canal cruise considered a Carribbean cruise and therefore no formal nights?

(Martha, might have known you would take Sailor Boy's side regarding the tux shoes -- good thing he never reads Cruise Critic. I am impressed by what a terrific memory your have -- last time you saw him wearing those shoes it was the Dec 2004 Carribbean cruise where we met and yet you described them perfectly.)

chairsin

A Panama Canal cruise will have formal evenings. The 2 week voyage will probably schedule 3. (I think last Jan. Legend Canal sailing we had 3)

Oh I certainly remember Sailor Boy's tuxedo-ed elegant look! He was the most handsome man at the Captain's reception and in the dining room ~~an idea....could he just wear the gorgeous patent slippers on the airplane, then you wouldn't need to pack 'em!:p

I am so happy Dan posted the reponse as to Seabourn's dress code.

Martita B.

Martha,

You are a trouble maker!And speaking of costumes I just ran across a photo form you "Oh Come All Ye Thirsty" party on that cruise -- there you are with your angel halo and wings watching Sailor Boy(in the devil horns you gave him) while he openned a corona for captain TT with the Anchors Away bottle opener( which you also gave him).

chairsin

I think it's now "Auld Lang Syne" ~~we all certainly had a fun festive evening. Do you remember Kevin T.? (Security) He and his wife just had a baby boy in Dec. He's no longer with Seabourn...boo hoo. Kevin is sorely missed by many.

I have a surprise for you but can not reveal it now......but, please look forward to a 'lit good news!!!;) (has nothing to do with men's evening slippers)

MB

Hello Dee, We left the Spirit in January and the trip next month is the

Singapore-Dubai. Will you still be aboard?

Regards, Miss Jet Set

We are boarding in HK and on till Istanbul - so yes, we will still be aboard! Hope to meet you when you board in Singapore. Will you be spending any time there before the cruise? We had 10 days there 2 years ago when the ship we were sailing on went in to dry dock. I thought 10 days might be too long but we had a terrific time. Plenty to do in S'pore - and wonderful food!

Cheers,

Dee

Martha,

You are a trouble maker!And speaking of costumes I just ran across a photo form you "Oh Come All Ye Thirsty" party on that cruise -- there you are with your angel halo and wings watching Sailor Boy(in the devil horns you gave him) while he openned a corona for captain TT with the Anchors Away bottle opener( which you also gave him).

I also have some photos from that cruise, including one of you, Sailor Boy, and Martha at the Beach Bar-B-Cue!

• 4 months later...
Caribbean cruises will not have any formal nights with the exception of holiday cruises.

I was wondering whether there would be any formal nights on the Odyssey's 14 day maiden Caribbean (being Thanksgiving I wasn't sure this qualified it as a holiday cruise). I'm very happy to see on my "already booked":

Nights with suggested black tie optional attire: 2

Formal nights are one of the nicest aspects of cruising for us.:)

Archived