Cruise Critic's On Mariner Now! Got Questions?

I am enjoying reading your report.

As for myself and my family, we have absolutely no use for a bathtub. Wasted space as far as I am concerned. So we are happy with the shower only concept. I know lots of people don't agree and love baths, but the last time I took an actual bath was after I had surgery and couldn't get my whole body wet. Same for my husband.

The bar setup was available on Voyager even in the regular suites, but you had to ask for it, and they were only allowing one "premium" like Grey Goose and even Jack Daniels but two "regular" like Stoli and Myers Rum. Others reported the same. We also got a bottle of wine every day by calling room service.

I like the hot tub, too, but I do like a tub on a cruise. Fav. was the jet tub in Medallion on Silver Whisper, but I like those Regent tubs. Of course with those cheapy amenities they have gone to, I can hardly get the gel out of the bottle, so I am not as into it as before. They had said before they were going to keep a mix. I guess time will tell.

So, last night, a group of seven of us tried the Prime 7, the new

steak/grill restaurant. At 7 p.m. it was half empty and that actually wasn’t a huge surprise since the ship is only half-full. What was a bigger shock was that by 8, 8:30 p.m. Prime 7 was packed.

The menu of Prime 7 is really awesome. The “amuse bouche” (CHECK

SPELLING) is a mini-burger – promoted as an uber mini-burger, actually, cause it’s called a Kobe (the name of seriously high quality beef from Japan). Alas, I learned later the slider (another name for mini-burgers) is not actually a real Kobe burger.

The menu is very steakhouse-oriented which of course fits the concept but the seafood offerings are excellent, too (try the ahi tuna tartar or jumbo lump crab cake starters).

I actually chose a meal consisting of starters (also tried the foie gras with rhubarb, nice); the entrees are pretty huge. All the beef is U.S.D.A. and the menu includes Prime New York Strip, Prime Porterhouse (carved tableside, by the way), Prime

Fillet Mignons (6 or 10 oz) and surf-and-turf. There’s also lobster, New Zealand lamb chops, pork, veal and a half chicken (cooked and served on an iron skillet).

Sides include baked potatoes, creamed spinach, truffle fries and Lyonaise potatoes.

Regent Seven Seas’ famous 14-layer cake is on the dessert menu – how can anyone possibly still have room?

Teijo

PS Anyone have any idea about what "Prime 7" stands for?

Hi TravelCat,

You are right about the height of the bathroom. It's difficult for some

people in our group to have a shower.

I will check the Coffee Connection related with the noise.

Teijo

The Asst. Cruise Director is wonderful -- I expect to see him as the CD one day (and John Barron is awesome).

You asked a question regarding the bathtub vs. shower only. We had both types of suites on our Mariner cruise -- the issue with the bathtub is also the very low ceiling. People over about 5' 10" would be hitting their head on the ceiling while taking a shower.

You indicated that you liked coffee area. Have you noticed the noise level next to the library being rather high?

P.S. It was our experience that you can still order a bottle of alcohol in your suite. They just don't automatically do a set-up.

Yesterday we (we’re a small group of journalists onboard) had a chance to visit the ship’s main galley and storage areas, which pretty much comprise the aft areas of Decks 5, 4 and 3. During the turn-around in Fort Lauderdale two days ago, the ship received 7 containers – everything from Seven Up soda to Coca Cola, and from Heineken to Kleenex. Perhaps more importantly were the food supplies. There is so much foodstuff being loaded on that it can take onboard staffers as much as a week until all supplies are stored in the right places! Of course, perishables are put away immediately.

Mike Mulden, the ship’s Chef de Cuisine, told us that various supplies will cover the entire World Cruise which ends in Vancouver, while some others are only meant to be used until Buenos Aires, a few weeks from now.

Figuring out what to buy where is quite a logistical feat, frankly; for instance the ship needed to stock things like lettuce and berries, which are harder to find in South America than in the U.S. Meanwhile, all beef is American (U.S.D.A.), while the lamb hails from New Zealand. The seafood comes frozen. Typically, the ship purchases fish locally, but surprisingly, most of the wines remain the same onboard, as there are around 100 labels onboard.

I love trying new regional wines, matched to our ports of call, when I’m traveling so that’s a disappointment!

One of the highlights of the first sea day was a Fish barbecue on deck though unfortunately heavy winds cut down the crowd. Chef Mulden told us that the ship’s ritual fish barbecue is always held on the first sea day when the fresh fish (as opposed to frozen) has arrived onboard as it tastes best when served immediately.

Mulden also mentioned that the menu cycle right now is 14 days (meaning no menu items are repeated in a 14-day span), but it can be changed up to 21 days. There are 4 000 recipes in the database, and they can be varied a bit during the World Cruise if exciting new food supplies are being found during the port calls. During world cruises especially a lot of passengers have made special orders or requests and so the ship carries extra supplies.

One guest eats “kale” every morning, so there are several kilos of that in the storage. Special orders should be made, however, several weeks before the sailing date. Still, we decided to have a little fun with the chef and asked if we could get wiener Schnitzel (why this particular dish came up I can no longer recall) for lunch in the Compass Rose the next day. It’s basically veal coated with breadcrumbs and fried; hails from Vienna. The chef delivered and it was pretty tasty.

Teijo

So Teijo, did you happen to ask how and where they can get re-stocked with perishables like fresh berries and fragile greens? I've done those galley tours and never asked that question. Someone here on the boards recently complained that the Paul Gauguin ran out of strawberries one week into our 2 week cruise to the Marquesas--and after thinking that through, my answer is, "where the heck did you think they'd get strawberries in the middle of the Pacific?"

Thanks for the great postings!

Millie: they are in the process of converting all of the regular suites to shower only, so finding a tub is getting harder and harder. The only pax I know who still had the separate tub/shower configuration were in larger suites.

I don't like the sound of that! I know they were converting some of the cabins to shower only but to hear that they are converting all of them is a surprise. Teijo, can you please check this out with those that know and find out if they are going to replace all with showers. Are they not leaving any tub/shower combinations?

Thanks for finding out who the assistant CD is. I was hoping that it would be Handre. He's such a friendly approachable gentleman that I saw consistantly circulating and freely talking with the pax.

Enjoying your reports!

Pat

Thanks for the great questions; I'm running around St. Barth's today but will get back online this evening....

Stay tuned.

Teijo

Look forward to hearing about St. Barth's -- we'll be there next month and can't decide how to spend the day.

Travelcat

We have enjoyed some land based vacations in St Barth's. The ship leaves you in 'downtown' which is essentially two parallel streets of shops which range from novelty/resort to high end boutiques such as Cartier. The French identify is influential in the items offered [e.g. the bikinis]. I'm not much of a shopper but I have purchased some colorful pareos. If you are there on a Thursday there is a small bakery that offers Tarte Tropezienne on that day.........fabulous.

I would NOT rent a car for the day unless you approach hills with braveness & nitroglycerin. If you are dedicated to sightseeing, hire a car & driver [taxi style]. Be prepared for everything on SXB to be expensive.

There are many beautiful beaches, some with equipment to rent [sports or lounge chairs/umbrella] for the day and a beach side restaurant nearby. St Jean's Village and another area closer to the airport are particularly good for combination packages of a few shops, beach & restaurant. We love watching the small planes come from between the mountains and hit the tarmac braking...always an exciting moment.

If you want to avoid the tourist, downtown scene I would make a lunch reservation at Hotel Guanahani. The food is excellent and you sit in a beautiful setting. Or if you wish to overlook the harbor, you could take lunch at Hotel Carl Gustaf, high on a hill. Both of these choices are pricey. There also are many more casual lunch venues downtown, some offering French selections. [After all, you can get a great burger on board.]

Just some thoughts......Paula

Okay, so no one was interested in the mystery of the name of Prime 7, the ship's new alternative restaurant. But I'll tell you anyway! It's Prime (for prime steaks) and, er, 7 (for Seven Seas).

Makes sense.

Teijo

So, last night, a group of seven of us tried the Prime 7, the new

steak/grill restaurant. At 7 p.m. it was half empty and that actually wasn’t a huge surprise since the ship is only half-full. What was a bigger shock was that by 8, 8:30 p.m. Prime 7 was packed.

The menu of Prime 7 is really awesome. The “amuse bouche” (CHECK

SPELLING) is a mini-burger – promoted as an uber mini-burger, actually, cause it’s called a Kobe (the name of seriously high quality beef from Japan). Alas, I learned later the slider (another name for mini-burgers) is not actually a real Kobe burger.

The menu is very steakhouse-oriented which of course fits the concept but the seafood offerings are excellent, too (try the ahi tuna tartar or jumbo lump crab cake starters).

I actually chose a meal consisting of starters (also tried the foie gras with rhubarb, nice); the entrees are pretty huge. All the beef is U.S.D.A. and the menu includes Prime New York Strip, Prime Porterhouse (carved tableside, by the way), Prime

Fillet Mignons (6 or 10 oz) and surf-and-turf. There’s also lobster, New Zealand lamb chops, pork, veal and a half chicken (cooked and served on an iron skillet).

Sides include baked potatoes, creamed spinach, truffle fries and Lyonaise potatoes.

Regent Seven Seas’ famous 14-layer cake is on the dessert menu – how can anyone possibly still have room?

Teijo

PS Anyone have any idea about what "Prime 7" stands for?

I don't mean to sound incredulous but the idea of a luxury ship eliminating all bathtubs (is it all bathtubs, Teijo, or just some?) is rather horrifying to me. Obviously, in the bath vs. shower debate it probably won't surprise anyone (after the first sentence, LOL) that I'm a bath person. But on a luxury ship bathrooms should frankly have both.

Having said that, there's no question that for seniors tubs can be problematic. I cruised with my mom on Holland America (which has tub/shower combos) and we worked it out that she showered in the locker room. Not ideal.

But perhaps RSSC could make some changes and have shower-only bathrooms -- and leave some alone? To me a great, relaxing bath in a soaking tub is completely defined as a luxury....

Carolyn

I like the hot tub, too, but I do like a tub on a cruise. Fav. was the jet tub in Medallion on Silver Whisper, but I like those Regent tubs. Of course with those cheapy amenities they have gone to, I can hardly get the gel out of the bottle, so I am not as into it as before. They had said before they were going to keep a mix. I guess time will tell.

What's your idea of a perfect day on a Caribbean Island, Travelcat? Then I'll see if I can make some good suggestions re St. Barths....

Teijo

Teijo -- has anyone told you lately that you ask wonderful -- difficult to answer questions? You may eventually make a good replacement for Barbara Walters (and Paula should be a TA).

I truly cannot describe a perfect day on a Caribbean island. . . almost every experience we have had during our travels has been different and perfect in most ways. During our cruise next month we will jetski to a snorkel spot and do some snorkeling, horseback ride that will end in the water -- swimming with the horses.

I thought we could rent a car. . . now, it doesn't sound like a great idea. We're not looking for restaurants -- too much like daily life. . . we can dine on Regent -- maybe on our balcony depending upon weather.

I could walk on the beach with my feet in the water for miles -- so peaceful and calm. Okay -- enough about what we want to do. . . . we want to hear what YOU did:D

P.S. Thanks for the info. about Prime 7 -- I was interested but had no intelligent guesses.

Okay, so no one was interested in the mystery of the name of Prime 7, the ship's new alternative restaurant. But I'll tell you anyway! It's Prime (for prime steaks) and, er, 7 (for Seven Seas).

Makes sense.

Teijo

Hey Teijo, not that I wasn't interested in the quiz but I couldn't answer it so I figured you would put us all out of our misery sooner then later with the correct answer. Now that I see it......it does fit and make sense. Thanks for the info.......I bet one day it will end up as one of the trivia questions on the ship and I'll be wiser thanks to you.

Pat

We rented a car in St. Barts and it was a wonderful way to spend the day. It also allows you to drive to and watch the planes come in at the St. Barts airport. My TA told me I must go see it and it was worth seeing. Let's just say after seeing the low approach of the planes over the crest of the hill and road and the length of the runway and how it ended up at a public beach with people sunbathing and swimming I decided I would never fly into St. Barts but it was fascinating to watch. It was also nice to be able to drive around the island and stop at all the different beaches and shopping areas. Yes, there were a few hills etc, but nothing that bad. I've experienced worse hills in California and on the west coast of Canada. It's a great way to see a large part of the island in a relative short time frame.

Pat

I don't mean to sound incredulous but the idea of a luxury ship eliminating all bathtubs (is it all bathtubs, Teijo, or just some?) is rather horrifying to me. Obviously, in the bath vs. shower debate it probably won't surprise anyone (after the first sentence, LOL) that I'm a bath person. But on a luxury ship bathrooms should frankly have both.

Having said that, there's no question that for seniors tubs can be problematic. I cruised with my mom on Holland America (which has tub/shower combos) and we worked it out that she showered in the locker room. Not ideal.

But perhaps RSSC could make some changes and have shower-only bathrooms -- and leave some alone? To me a great, relaxing bath in a soaking tub is completely defined as a luxury....

Carolyn

I have to agree with you about this as you would gather from my asking Teijo to confirm if it's going to eventually be a shower in all cabins. I'm a bathtub person and only use a shower if I'm in a hurry. I agree that it's hard for some elderly to get into the bathtub but surely they can't base the whole ship on one demographic and not all elderly are bathtub challenged. I've seen lots of folks a lot older then me that have oodles of energy and flexability so I do hope they are not going ship wide with this change.

Pat

Last February we sat on St. Jean beach watching the planes come in for landing and decided that we too would never arrive in St. Barths by plane....a frightening thought, although exciting to watch!

It's incredible to watch isn't it. I was so floored by the safety issue and how the runway just ended at that public beach with Moms and tots playing in the sand. If the plane overshot the runway it would land right in that crowded beach. It must be an island thing.

Pat

Well, I am beginning to feel 'anemic' about my rental car 'advice'. Lest I bleed out, let me add that I have driven daily during several one week stays in SXB ....but I have grown to loathe the top-of-the-hill BLIND 4 way intersections! Ok, maybe I'm chickening out in my old age. I am going to attempt to shore up my image by adding that I flew into St Barth's on each of those occasions. On my first trip, the pilot sat me in the co-pilot seat [only to use the seat] ...a mouth dropping experience. You are blind as you go between the mountains and don"t see the runway until you are actually landing....and then you notice how very short it is! I absolutely agree that it makes a fun viewing from that strip of beach --which has an open air restaurant nearby.....or from the deck of the Eden Rock Hotel if you happen to be there around cocktail hour.

Archived