Notepad computers for Cruising........

sail7seas

Shoot, my computer guy was here yesterday because my Internet went down...wish I'd thought to ask him then! At his rates, I don't think I want to call him back in for that!

Did you do it yourself? I'm somewhat proficient with computers, I load programs and all that stuff, but wonder if this would be over my head?

Sheila, I'm sure you can do it. I figured it out by myself and I'm no techie. I'm all self-taught. I'm guessing you're on a wireless network? So you're probably getting on the internet through that. Even if you just go to your Control Panel and then click on Network Setup Wizard, start there and run that wizard through.

That should get you started. If you're good at this stuff, I really think you can do it yourself. Once that's set up, I just right click on "start" and click "explore" and find the files I want that way and open them up. Good luck!

I think I may have to go to the 10" now that Carol was good enough to let me know the size of the keyboard. Seems it just might be a little small. But I really do want the Acer since I've heard some great things about it from some people who really know computers. I'll also check out the HP and the MSI Wind Riana mentioned.

Sheila, I'm sure you can do it. I figured it out by myself and I'm no techie. I'm all self-taught. I'm guessing you're on a wireless network? So you're probably getting on the internet through that. Even if you just go to your Control Panel and then click on Network Setup Wizard, start there and run that wizard through.

That should get you started. If you're good at this stuff, I really think you can do it yourself. Once that's set up, I just right click on "start" and click "explore" and find the files I want that way and open them up. Good luck!

I think I may have to go to the 10" now that Carol was good enough to let me know the size of the keyboard. Seems it just might be a little small. But I really do want the Acer since I've heard some great things about it from some people who really know computers. I'll also check out the HP and the MSI Wind Riana mentioned.

Thanks, Heather! I will give that a try.

I love my HP Mini. I think it's a bit larger than the Acer, but still only 2 lbs.

I guess I'm the only one on here who has an HP Mini, but I think it's great...I really love it.

The keyboard is very comfortable. Mine has only a 3 cell battery (DH didn't know any different when he purchased it for me for a Christmas gift!) but that hasn't been an issue. If it becomes one, I can order a 6 or 9 online.

If you're not in a rush and aren't traveling anytime soon that you need to take a mini, I'd wait....I'm sure better options will be coming along each day!

But you can't use the IP address I gave you at the cottage - that's for HAL ships. I can't use Outlook Express at many places because I don't know the right addresses. :(

You should actually just use your own outgoing smtp server and make sure you select "my outgoing server requires authentication" (paraphrased from outlook 2007)....with several email accounts it would be quite time consuming to change each one when I am using another providers signal.

Tayo and Kristy

You should actually just use your own outgoing smtp server and make sure you select "my outgoing server requires authentication" (paraphrased from outlook 2007)
Sorry, but that doesn't work ... and I have "requires authentication" on because I also need that when home.

....with several email accounts it would be quite time consuming to change each one when I am using another providers signal.

I only change the one account that I will be using to send from the ship.

Sorry, but that doesn't work ... and I have "requires authentication" on because I also need that when home.

I only change the one account that I will be using to send from the ship.

That maybe the case for your ISP and/or mail provider but it isn't the norm...much easier for somebody to try using their own mail providers SMTP server before switching ones outgoing server each time they use a different ISP....like Marle7 was talking about.

Tayo and Kristy

... much easier for somebody to try using their own mail providers SMTP server before switching ones outgoing server each time they use a different ISP....like Marle7 was talking about.

She had already said (back in post #167) that hers didn't work on the ship (and elsewhere) and I was telling her how to fix it, at least on the ship.

She had already said many posts ago that hers didn't work on the ship (and elsewhere) and I was telling her how to fix it, at least on the ship.

I absolutely understand :) I was just trying to offer an alternative since she had mentioned a third location as well, where neither you or I knew the outgoing mail server. :)

Tayo and Kristy

I absolutely understand :) I was just trying to offer an alternative since she had mentioned a third location as well, where neither you or I knew the outgoing mail server. :)

Tayo and Kristy

When you said
You should actually just use your own outgoing smtp server and make sure you select "my outgoing server requires authentication" (paraphrased from outlook 2007)....
it sure sounded to me like you were correcting my advice.

You should actually just use your own outgoing smtp server and make sure you select "my outgoing server requires authentication" (paraphrased from outlook 2007)....with several email accounts it would be quite time consuming to change each one when I am using another providers signal.

Tayo and Kristy

I do know the ISP at the cottage, so I can change it as needed. It just didn't occur to me for some reason that it was an ISP problem since everything else works. I'm going to the cottage in a couple of weeks, so I will try it.

Never tried the outgoing server authentication!

News from the Amazon. Apparently the river traffic is slow, or busy, this time of year in the rain forest. Word has reached me via the internet email drum beat that the shipping date for my netbook is around the middle of March, so I'll read all the good things you guys are doing with envy.

Pete

News from the Amazon. Apparently the river traffic is slow, or busy, this time of year in the rain forest. Word has reached me via the internet email drum beat that the shipping date for my netbook is around the middle of March, so I'll read all the good things you guys are doing with envy.

Pete

:D

Actually, March isn't all that far off if you think about it. I bet it arrives sooner!

These comments are in general because each ISP can set up their system as they see fit. In other words, YMMV. The restrictions were put in place to prevent mail servers from being used to relay SPAM.

If your outgoing (SMTP) server matches the service you are using, you can send mail without a problem.

If your outgoing (SMTP) server matches that of your email provider, you can send mail from that account only, not any other accounts you may have. This use usually requires authentication and maybe a ssl connection.

Some ISPs block use of any SMTP server other than their own, so if you are using that service you would have to change.

Some ISPs allow the use of an alternate port for SMTP to get around the above block.

Outlook Express configures each account to use a specific outgoing server. Each account that you wish to use, therefore, would have to be changed.

Thunderbird allows for a default outgoing server used for all accounts, and allows several to be set up allowing for easy change based on where you are. It also allows for account based outgoing servers.

Pete

LOL! Looks like all the CC'ers bought out Amazon's full stock of Acers!!!!

... [multiple configuration of SMTP settings]...

Outlook Express configures each account to use a specific outgoing server. Each account that you wish to use, therefore, would have to be changed.

Thunderbird allows for a default outgoing server used for all accounts, and allows several to be set up allowing for easy change based on where you are. It also allows for account based outgoing servers.

Which is yet one more reason to use a web-based email service, such as GMAIL, for your email needs. No matter where you are, what computer you are using, you can probably access it, without a problem

Plus, NOT downloading email to your computer greatly reduces the chances of virus infectation.

Which is yet one more reason to use a web-based email service, such as GMAIL, for your email needs.
But then you must do all of your email reading and writing online at 40 to 75 cents per minute on the ship, or a whole lot of nuisance copy-and-pasting of files typed offline.

I also looked at the Acer at Staples here in Canada at $379/399 but found the 8.9" screen was not as clear as the 10" HP and the key board of the HP is wonderful. I can type at full speed. I bought the perfect carry bag at London Drugs for $25.00. It was great to be able to pack my mini in my backpack on the plane. Never been on-line on a trip before and it was nice to keep up with all the BAD weather Vancouver was having at Christmas while we were down in Yuma. For the $100.00 more I would go for the HP.

I don't think anyone on this thread has yet mentioned the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 at $299 or Mini 12 at $399. Does anyone have any experience with either of those? As a Dell fan of many years I'm seriously considering the 9" one.

Archived