$50 per person air deviation fee to make sure both cabins are on the same flight!?

Zimomiller

Just got a quote from a cruise TA I have worked with many times.

Need 2 cabins for our family of 5. We have cruised with 2 cabins many times before, but never have we used cruiseline arranged air.

Best pricing right now for our flights to Southampton for the cruise are through NCL.

The price quote includes the following language:

"NCL will charge an air deviation fee of $50 per person to make sure both cabins are on the same flight."

Huh? I was stunned to read that.

I am not asking for anything special am I? Flights for a family 5 to and from a cruise? Is that too difficult for them to handle? RT tickets are alread $1300+pp...and they want $50 more pp or they will scatter us across different planes?

Anyone witnessed this before?

Need 2 cabins for our family of 5. We have cruised with 2 cabins many times before, but never have we used cruiseline arranged air.

Best pricing right now for our flights to Southampton for the cruise are through NCL.

"NCL will charge an air deviation fee of $50 per person to make sure both cabins are on the same flight."

I am not asking for anything special am I? Flights for a family 5 to and from a cruise? Is that too difficult for them to handle? RT tickets are alread $1300+pp...and they want $50 more pp or they will scatter us across different planes?

Book your own flights. It may cost a bit more, but at the end, it will "cost" less. You can pick your flights, keep your travel companions together, avoid bad layovers ... If you read the boards, this seems to be the near universal advice.

You have an option...take it or leave it.

unfortunately this is something all lines do. I would be surprised if you did not all get on the same flight, but the cruiselines do buy up so many seats at a certain price. To assure you are all together you will have to pay the fees. Have you checked to make sure you wouldn't be just as well off booking on your own?? Does NCL cover transfers with that price? Normally they do, if so, you will probably have to pay the extra as transfers are going to cost you an arm and leg...

Nita

When sailing on Transatlantics we have frequently found that it is cheaper to book our one way fare through the cruiseline. Fortunately we are at a level in the cruiselines' loyalty programs where the air deviation fee is waived. On the lines which we sail, we can cancel their air without incurring a penalty, right up until the final payment date, so we are able to continue monitoring airfares right up until then. If we find a better price, we can book it and cancel our cruiseline air. Do remember to include the cost of transfers when comparing airfares, however. Transfers from Heathrow and Gatwick to a hotel in London and from the hotel to the pier in Dover, Harwich, or Southhampton can be quite expensive. Once you have compared all the prices then you can decide which is your best option.:)

Your prices seem high. When are you going and where are you leaving from? I have be researching fares as we are taking a t/a and need to fly to london. Try bt-store dot com and see what they come up with. We are then using just airports dot com to transfer. Very reasonable.

Let me know how you make out.

Archived