Difference between categories A and B

gbphipps

We are considering booking the Regatta and are trying to decide between categories B and A. The cabins appear to be similar in size, but category A has a number of perks that we do not think are essential, such as free shoe shines, etc. Are the services different on the Concierge level or are the cabin furnishings appreciably different? It looks like the cost difference on a per cabin basis would be between $400 and $800 and we are just trying to find out what the additional cost purchases in order to decide what category to book. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Jim and Gisele Phipps

The cabins are identical and the services, such as room steward, etc. are identical. There was a rumor that as of the beginning of 2009 that Category A would be able to get the same hot breakfast room service that was previously available to the suites, but we were on Insignia on Jan 1 and didn't see any change. Perhaps it took place when the ship sailed again on Jan 5.

The other perks include the biggie (at least for me), a refrigerator, a welcome bottle of champagne (which can be traded in for a bottle of house wine), free pressing of up to 2 articles of clothing for each cabin passenger (typically 4 items), the use of cashmere lap robes, a free Oceania tote bag (zippered and actually pretty nice), priority embarkation and disembarkation, and a guarantee of 4 specialty restaurant reservations (2 in each restaurant, Polo and Toscanna) as opposed to 2 guaranteed reservations in Category B and below.

The latter two perks are somewhat mitigated by the fact that it is relatively easy to get additional reservations in the specialty restaurants by inquiring of the maitre' d each morning at a podium in the Terrace Buffet (if there are no spaces, they will not be there), and by the fact that Category B and below will be permitted to board early at embarkation as long as there are no Category A and above people waiting in line.

Those are the facts. I'm good at facts. I'm not so good at emotions and motivations. Whether it is good value for you is something you have to decide. Many people decide it's not worth the extra money and choose Category B; enough others choose Category A for whatever reason (maybe they just want the silver ship card instead of a white one) to keep them full.

I've traveled in Category A twice and Category C once, and am booked in Category A again next year. The primary reason for me is the refrigerator; I like cold soft drinks the last thing at night and the first thing in the morning, and I don't want to have to wonder whether there is enough ice, and I don't want to wait until I go out to buy a cold one. It's an irrational decision, because based strictly on the money, I could probably have cold sodas delivered by room service at any time for less than the cost diffference between Category A and B. But, I'm willing to pay for the convenience of reaching in for a cold soda at any time of the day without having to wait or make any effort.

Part of the irrationality is that I prefer Deit Pepsi to Diet Coke, and therefore bring my own supply on board. The ship is limited to Coke products.

The tote bags are nice, but we already have two of them. We used to have exclusivity of a DVD palyer, but all cabins have them now, along with the hand held hair dryers that were once part of Category A and above. And, frankly, the house wine that we got in exchange for the champagne was not very good. My DW uses the lap robe, but I don't. And, on our last cruise, we were actually solicited by the restaurant reservation folks to get additional evenings in Toscanna, because they had available tables and no one had asked for them.

As for priority disembarkation, we were one of the first ones off the ship at 8:00 AM on our last cruise, but everyone had to be off by 9:00 AM, so there is little value there.

So, if the breakfast policy has changed as rumored, it really boils down to a hot room service breakfast instead of a Continental breakfast, a fridge, a bottle of champagne, a tote bag and the use of lap robes (they are not yours to keep). Oh, yeah, and the silver card...:rolleyes:

The "A" Cat now has a "Concierge Level Room Service" Breakfast menu which includes more than the "B" cat continental menu. You could now order eggs any way, sausage/bacon/etc. Room service pulled out a table from behind the sofa and put it on the round table covered it with linen and placed a flower in a vase in the middle. It was a little cramped eating at the table as there is only the sofa and the small desk chair but who cared...could always move to balcony. Meals were served promptly and were still hot. Generous portions too! The only reason we were in an "A' was because of an incredible last minute upgrade. On our upcoming Baltic we will remain with our "B" unless another incredible upgrade comes up as we feel the extra price is a bit more than what you actually got.

..... Room service pulled out a table from behind the sofa and put it on the round table covered it with linen and placed a flower in a vase in the middle. ....

Thanks for the description.

I didn't expect the tablecloth, as this is extra work for the delivery person and slows him down. However, this eases the load for servers in Terrace Cafe for breakfasts.

Was " B " last year on Nautica Blk Sea cruise.Liked the fact that there was no frig in the area below the T V. Had more shelfs to but cloths on. Only factor for us was the 2 specialty restaurant resevations. Could only pre book 2 times. Every time I looked to get a resevation for more times I was told only 6:30 or 9:30 where availible.

The ship was almost 98% full.Maybe that was why we had a problem. I also felt that shtuping the Matrdi was not worth it.

So this year on or Med cruise we opted for an A3 Cat. Cabin. Just so we will be able to book our 4 reservations for the 14 nite cruise.

we were in an "A'

Welcome Home Guys! Was the cruise fantastic? Congratulations on snagging an A! Next time you deserve an upgrade to a Penthouse ;)

Tell Jimmy we said hi!

By the way, Acrusa, we had to laugh when you referenced "shtuping" the maitre d', . Don't nice people worry about all that after dinner?

Welcome Home Guys! Was the cruise fantastic? Congratulations on snagging an A! Next time you deserve an upgrade to a Penthouse ;)

Tell Jimmy we said hi!

By the way, Acrusa, we had to laugh when you referenced "shtuping" the maitre d', . Don't nice people worry about all that after dinner?

It's all in the translation.

Thank you everyone! We are glad we didn't have to schtup anyone for all this good information. lol We booked today in a B2 and we can hope for an upgrade, but I think we will be happy with the cabin even if we aren't upgraded. We are really excited about the cruise, but now have to wait until March 21, 2010 to get here. Anticipation is part of the fun I keep trying to convince myself.

--Gisele and Jim Phipps---

Category A also offers higher end tolietries.

I did not see any difference in the quality of the toiletries. As a matter of fact I found that they had a selction of larger tubes that they did not replace until they were empty and I am sure we had some left overs from prior sail as they were half empty when we boarded.

Tell Jimmy we said hi!

Hello my friends

The cruise was great but we did miss our friends from our prior trip. We were hoping to do this trip again in 2010 but the Baltic calls us in June and our 401K is now a 40K, so need to hunker down a bit and regroup. Jim sends his regards.

...but now have to wait until March 21, 2010 to get here. Anticipation is part of the fun I keep trying to convince myself.

--Gisele and Jim Phipps---

Betsy and I are on that cruise, also; there is a very active roll call for that cruise here, even though it is more than 13 months away!

I did not see any difference in the quality of the toiletries. As a matter of fact I found that they had a selction of larger tubes that they did not replace until they were empty and I am sure we had some left overs from prior sail as they were half empty when we boarded.

How gross! I hope you contacted housekeeping as soon as you arrived in your suite (cabin). On our last cruise, there were leftover liquor/wine left in our fridge and cabin. We might have considered that as a welcome gift to our home away from home from the previous passengers but it was downright poor housekeeping. We brought this to the attention of our cabin stewardess immediately and also called the housekeeper and reported this oversight. All through our cruise, the housekeeper did a higher level of inspections.

During this particular cruise, we were on deck 7 (Concierge) and friends were on deck 6. Tolietries on our deck were defintely a different selection than deck 6. Also, deck 7 had a more extensive tolietry variety.

We have cruised 5 times with Oceania, the first two being in 2005. All cruises have been on deck 7. On the first 4 cruises, we received "champagne" (Perrier Jouet) as a Concierge perk. On our last cruise, September 2008, it is no longer "champagne" but a house sparkling wine. We made it known that we were disappointed with the change especially that it still had been advertised as "champagne" being one of the perks at the time of booking. Our next cruise will be November 2009, Istanbul to Singapore and again on deck 7. We love its proximity to the Lido deck and deck 5 (restaurant and show lounge). We rarely use the elevator and this affords us to walk the stairs without too much effort sine I have some moibility restrictions.

Whatever you have chosen, or for those who are still in the deciding stage, you will love it whereever you are.

Plimsol---

Which cabin on Deck 7 do you prefer? I need an "A" cabin for the refrigerator for temperature sensitive meds.

Thank you---

We always chose the aft section, A3 category, and as close that is available to A2 without having to pay the up charge for A2. We like aft as it is in the restaurant column. All lounges are in the forward sections. We have never encountered any noise or motion that was intolerable. And a reminder, Oceania is small enough to go from one end to the other, or top to bottom, without too much walking. Regardless, if it is Oceania or another cruise line, we always preferred centre to aft. We always book early enough to get a favourable located cabin.

Archived