Advise on travelling from Rome to Civitavecchia

LOLAUST

Hi

I had a problem posting this query before so apologies if it appears twice!

Basically, my husband and myself are taking a cruise that departs from and arrives back in Civitavecchia (Rome).

From research I have done so far, it appears that it is quite expensive to get from Rome airport to the port and vice versa.

Any advice on the best most economical way to get there and back with luggage will be appreciated. I have been reading a lot of comments regarding the train - how easy is it to use and what happens if you have luggage - do you take it with you or does it go separately?

First, you have to get from where your ship docks at port to the train station. Sometimes there are taxis waiting. It could be a long walk.

It's easy to take the train and inexpensive and I've done it, but you will have to handle your baggage totally by yourself; there is no one to help you.

Here's a site to get you started:

http://goitaly.about.com/od/romeitaly/a/civitavecchia.htm

The wife and I have done this twice now. From the Airport to Rome Termini you can take the Leanardo Express from FCO (follow signs from the luggage area) for a cost of around 11 euros each. If you spend the night in Rome get a hotel within walking distance of the train station (Example: Hotel Mondial or Hotel Canada) On the day of the cruise go to the train station and get a ticket to Civitavecchia for around 6 euros each. This will be the regional train that runs every hour located at Platform 26 or 27. From the Civitavecchia train station walk the five blocks with your luggage down the street to the Port Enterance. The Cruiseline will have a free shuttle bus to your ship. My wife and I are in our fifties and each of us had a rolling piece of luggage with carry ons. The train was pretty empty both times we went. Once we had to go under the train tracks (Stairs) in Civitavecchia but we made it. Going back to FCO after the cruise we used the Cruisline transfer $70 each. Just didn't want to stress making the 11:00 AM flight. Tim

• 1 year later...

Hi! My family and I are booked to embark on our first cruise with Holland America on the Noordam this Sept. As I was reading random reviews on the Noordam I read your review on your cruise from last year. I read that you received an upgrade from a Superior Verandah Suite to a Deluxe Verandah Suite. We are also booked in a Superior Verandah Suite. How did you receive this upgrade and did you have to pay the difference? What are the details on getting an upgrade?

Do you have any good suggestions on the shore excursion too? Should we book it all with the ship or go on our own? Do you know any private tours off the boat for each port? Sorry for so many questions, but we just want to make sure we make to best out of our first cruise. :) Thank you!

esmc13

On occasion, Italy is known to have strikes which could disrupt trains and/or other public transportation. They are usually civil enough to publish the plans in advance - somewhere there is a website with the info.

Lots of people do take the train and almost none have a problem, but it is always good to have a plan B, just in case.

I have not tried the train, but I understand you do not have to purchase tickets in advance.

http://trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

There are shuttle services available which you probably know. This one I think is one of the less expensive ones:

http://www.airportshuttle.it/

The BEST thing to do is go to the roll call forums, find your cruise line, your ship and your sailing date. Talk to the people that will be on your same cruise and see what they are doing!

Last November was our first Med. cruise and we had a very active roll call with some very experienced cruisers. One person organized a shuttle for cruisers arriving at FCO the day of the cruise. She probably had 14 or 16 people and arranged with a local transport company. The costs was probably 20e per person.

I had arranged to come in early and spent a few days in Rome before hand. Another lady on our roll call arranged a bus as there were many of us at the same hotel. I ended up taking it over when she had to cancel. We had 39 people on a very nice bus at a cost of 10e per person (plus tips). We went direct from Piazza Republica to the luggage drop off at the ship.

So go over to your roll call and see what's happening!

About your specific questions on the train:

It is easy to use the train from Rome to Civitavecchia and back. It is not as easy going from FCO directly to Civitavecchia (no direct train). Also, it is not so easy with luggage, but if you pack reasonably (medium roller suitcase and one smaller bag you can stack on top), you should be okay.

Your luggage stays in the train compartment with you. Some trains have a place for luggage near the door. I would advise keeping an eye on your bag if you put it there.

If you are taking the train into Rome from Civitavecchia, you do not have to walk all the way to the train station, as 6rugrats suggests. There is a free port-operated shuttle in Civitavecchia port that takes you from your cruise ship to the port gate. From there it is about a 4 block, mostly level walk to the train station.

There is a LOT more information on the Italy Ports of Call board regarding either taking the train or arranging for a private transfer.

We did things a little different than most. Since we weren't eager to get to the ship (13 nights was plenty) we took a private morning tour of Rome and the surrounding area. The tour company picked us up at our hotel around 9 am, we had about a 4-5 hour tour, then they drove us to the port, we were checked in by 3 pm, no lines, no hassles.

The nice thing was that we got a personalized tour of much of the city, we also got to go up the hill to overlook Rome, we went to the highest fountain that feeds the city fountains (can't recall the name, Borghese comes to mind). We also got to visit the Catacombs and the Appian Way.

A whole lot nicer than a shuttle ride or just seeing the land go by from the train. Anyone could arrange it if they have enough people, I recall the price being around 75 EU each.

Archived