civi to fco

floridafolks

We just cancelled our ship transfer from civi to fco after reading that most cc'ers think it is a rip-off. If we want to take the regional train to Trastevere or san pietro and then to FCO instead of going all the way to termini and taking the leonardo express, what kind of ticket do we get. Is there a BIRG ticket that covers enough zones to get from civi to fco? We have plenty of time as the plane leaves the following morning and we are staying at the airport Hilton. We will probably want to go back into Rome after dropping off bags and could use the hotel shuttle or take the train if we had an all day ticket for that distance. Has anyone done this before? Or at least how does the BIRG ticket work? I know it has diferent prices for different zones and is good for 24 hours, but I can not find where the zones go.

We just cancelled our ship transfer from civi to fco after reading that most cc'ers think it is a rip-off. If we want to take the regional train to Trastevere or san pietro and then to FCO instead of going all the way to termini and taking the leonardo express, what kind of ticket do we get. Is there a BIRG ticket that covers enough zones to get from civi to fco? We have plenty of time as the plane leaves the following morning and we are staying at the airport Hilton. We will probably want to go back into Rome after dropping off bags and could use the hotel shuttle or take the train if we had an all day ticket for that distance. Has anyone done this before? Or at least how does the BIRG ticket work? I know it has diferent prices for different zones and is good for 24 hours, but I can not find where the zones go.

You buy the BIRGE ticket either at the train station or any tobacco stand in Civi. That gets you on a regional train and any bus or metro in Rome. I think that the BIRGE that you will buy is a zone 5 ticket. This is the correct ticket and price to ride the train from Civi to Rome and all of the metros and busses within Rome. You may have to buy an extra ticket if you catch the Leonardo Express to FCO. I do not know if it is valid for multiple trips to/from Rome.

What you describe is very doable...have a great trip!

The ticket is BIRG (translated means Integrated Regional Daily Ticket.) A great part of the confusion comes from the fact that people assume that it is a train ticket issued by FS or Trenitalia. However it is not as it is issued by COTRAL (Compagnia Trasporti Laziali SPA - a bus company, if you will.) It is recognized by Trenitalia, COTRAL (for all buses in the Lazio region) and ATAC (for all buses/metro in the Rome metro area.) The ticket is by zones and is valid for all buses, metro and trains (FS) within those zones (exception - HoHo buses and Leonardo Express.) The ticket is valid until midnight of the day it is validated on.

To confuse the issue even more, there is a BTR (regional tourist ticket) that is sold by zones like the BIRG. It is valid for three days.

You can buy these tickets at train stations, bus stations, newstands, etc.

You will probably not find info on these on Trenitalia (I never have.) Go to ATAC.roma.it and search for BIRG and you probably won't find it. It is buried deep under "metrebus Lazio".

The train line from FCO to some of the Roma stations (Tiburtina, Ostiense and Trastevere) is the FR1 Metro line and it does not go to Termini. So you can take the train from Civitavecchia to one of these stations and transfer to the FR1 to FCO. That trip would be covered on the BIRG ticket.

The ticket is BIRG (translated means Integrated Regional Daily Ticket.) A great part of the confusion comes from the fact that people assume that it is a train ticket issued by FS or Trenitalia. However it is not as it is issued by COTRAL (Compagnia Trasporti Laziali SPA - a bus company, if you will.) It is recognized by Trenitalia, COTRAL (for all buses in the Lazio region) and ATAC (for all buses/metro in the Rome metro area.) The ticket is by zones and is valid for all buses, metro and trains (FS) within those zones (exception - HoHo buses and Leonardo Express.) The ticket is valid until midnight of the day it is validated on.

To confuse the issue even more, there is a BTR (regional tourist ticket) that is sold by zones like the BIRG. It is valid for three days.

You can buy these tickets at train stations, bus stations, newstands, etc.

You will probably not find info on these on Trenitalia (I never have.) Go to ATAC.roma.it and search for BIRG and you probably won't find it. It is buried deep under "metrebus Lazio".

The train line from FCO to some of the Roma stations (Tiburtina, Ostiense and Trastevere) is the FR1 Metro line and it does not go to Termini. So you can take the train from Civitavecchia to one of these stations and transfer to the FR1 to FCO. That trip would be covered on the BIRG ticket.

Your last sentence is exactly what I was looking for. Let me make sure I understand--Post-cruise I could purchase a BIRG ticket and use it to get from Civi to FCO via Trastevere on regional trains (FR5 from civi transferring to FR1 in Trastevere) I then have the option (after dropping off bags at airport hilton) of returning into rome for the day using train and any other metro/bus while there and using train (fr1) to return in the evening. All this would occur before midnight so the ONE ticket would get me all of this???

Now the only question I have is since the BIRG ticket is sold by zones, what Zone do I need to buy?? Zone 10 is the most expensive(still cheap) but is that what I need? How do I know what zone? I can not find a zone map anywhere to check what zone civi or fco is in??

(I hope GSPLover is reading this--you are a wealth of knowledge on this subject)

All this would occur before midnight so the ONE ticket would get me all of this???

Now the only question I have is since the BIRG ticket is sold by zones, what Zone do I need to buy?? Zone 10 is the most expensive(still cheap) but is that what I need? How do I know what zone? I can not find a zone map anywhere to check what zone civi or fco is in??

(I hope GSPLover is reading this--you are a wealth of knowledge on this subject)

One ticket will get you all of that. Civi is zone 5 (I believe.) I cannot find a definitive zone map (showing cities/towns.) I have emailed a friend in Civi for further info. I'm going to add a 'BIRG' page to my website as soon as I get complete information.

If you take the FR1 from FCO to Ostiense, you can then change to the Metro (since FR1 does not go to Termini.) Probably your best connection point (just a guess on my part.)

One ticket will get you all of that. Civi is zone 5 (I believe.) I cannot find a definitive zone map (showing cities/towns.) I have emailed a friend in Civi for further info. I'm going to add a 'BIRG' page to my website as soon as I get complete information.

If you take the FR1 from FCO to Ostiense, you can then change to the Metro (since FR1 does not go to Termini.) Probably your best connection point (just a guess on my part.)

Thanks GSPLover! I knew you would come through!! I will be waitng the "Zone answer" regarding FCO. Adding this to your web page will be terrific. I am good with making connections with FR1 into rome center, I just couldn't figure out the most economical way to get all this transportation for the day.

I know this isn't for everyone- but we have no time constriction post-cruise and we will have already had 3 days pre-cruise touring Rome and its sights. We just want to go back in one more time and soak up the atmosphere while possibly enjoying a limoncello! Also we wanted to stay at the airport so we have no worry for the next morning's flight home.

OK, some progress. I found a zone chart, of sorts, in Italian. Did not bookmark it, but did save it (a pdf file.) Email me at address on my website and I'll forward.

Everything I've found on the ATAC and COTROL websites seems to confirm what I've already said. Did stumble upon a phrase, in Italian, on the Trenitalia (Italian site) that seems to contradict what has been said/assumed to this point.

"Il BIRG e il BTR non sono validi per i viaggi da/per Fiumicino Aeroporto."

I cannot find that referenced on any of the Trenitalia english sites; nor can I find reference to either BIRG or BTR on it. I've sent another email to Civitavecchia.

Frustration? Yep, but we are dealing with Italy. Lived there, done that. Situation normal.

".:: BIRG - REGIONAL TICKETValidity:Until midnight of the day on which the ticket is validate; good for unlimited rides in the zones for which the ticket is purchased.

Where you can use:All Atac, Cotral and FS transport that services the zones for which the ticket has been purchased. "

Red/bold is my addition. Contrary to what is on the Trenitalia site, this seems to confirm that it can be used on the FR1 train to FCO.

".:: BIRG - REGIONAL TICKETValidity:Until midnight of the day on which the ticket is validate; good for unlimited rides in the zones for which the ticket is purchased.

Where you can use:All Atac, Cotral and FS transport that services the zones for which the ticket has been purchased. "

Red/bold is my addition. Contrary to what is on the Trenitalia site, this seems to confirm that it can be used on the FR1 train to FCO.

One other thought---IF FCO is not within zone 10 then it would not be covered???? I have already finished my research for my 3 day pre-cruise Rome visit, and I researched using the Roma Piu pass since we want to go to Tivoli Villa D'Este. It also is not valid into FCO as FCO is outside the boundary. I can go on the FR1 but only as far as the stop where some exhibition center is (a stop or two before FCO- forget the name at the moment) It seems they purposely keep FCO out of the deal.

Let me know what you find out.

• 1 year later...

My husband and I are flying into Rome April 26th, I booked the Crown Plaza for two nights as our cruise departs out of Civitavecchia at 8pm the evening of the 28th.

We will a take a train into Temini Station, then not sure how to get to hotel from there, taxi maybe? Any suggestions. The crown plaza is not near anything, they do have shuttles that drop guest off to do tours.

We were planning on taking a train down to Civitavecchia, on the 28th once we figure out which one.

We arrive back into Civitavecchia on Easter Morning 8am, then we have from then till we fly out on the 6th of April out of FCo ( I booked a room at the Airport Hilton) for the 5th, Any suggestions what little town outside of rome that we could take train to out of Civitavecchia for the day and half we have left.

The whole train schedule confuses me,any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Are you on the 10 April MIA to Civi? If so we would be interested in sharing a ride. I beleive I can arrange it and even for 4 it was much better than other alternatives.

eaelliot

Archived