roll calls---

bobbisailsolo

You have to promote the roll-call and keep "blabbering", to help bring the roll call up to the top of the page, so that other people see it. It's like being a bit of a sales person. Some people like to join roll calls, others don't. But regardless, you will get plenty of lurkers.:)

We've been on roll calls that have great response and then there are some that are middling and some that are non-existent. Just because we know about cruisecritic doesn't mean everybody else does. Keep an eye on HAL postings and encourage people to join your roll call.

That said.... nobody has joined the Veendam, January 30 Antarctica roll call!

Funny this was posted as I was just talking about this yesterday. I "took the initiative" very much on our roll call...and it seems to have been very busy early on, however has pretty much gone dry during the past month. Other roll calls that I participated in were much busier as the sailing got closer...so I guess it just all depends on the roll call.

So I'll do some promoting here; I've done what I can to bring the thread up to the top over at the Roll Call thread:

Isn't anyone else planning to go to Hawaii on the Zaandam, starting April 6, from San Diego? At this point there's only me (and my DH) and a couple of my CC friends have started ribbing me about how I'm all alone. :D

If you're sailing on that cruise, come join the Roll Call! I'll even take care of the Meet & Greet!

/signed Hopeful

marney

marney at wilde dot org

Our current Roll Call for the May 8 sailing of the MS Maasdam only has around 16 people so far whereas our November MS Noordam cruise had fourteen thousand hits and a bunch of people.

It always surprise us while cruising how many people have no idea about Cruise Critic's and how helpful it can be in planning and enjoying a cruise.

That being said; it truly amazes us how many people we meet in all types of vacation travel that do little or no planning for there vacation in advance. Arrive at the venue and start saying what are we going to do only to find out no chance without having reservations. To each his own.

That being said; it truly amazes us how many people we meet in all types of vacation travel that do little or no planning for there vacation in advance. Arrive at the venue and start saying what are we going to do only to find out no chance without having reservations. To each his own.

Yeah, how weird is that! I can't even imagine all that wasted time on a port day...trying to figure out what to see and how to get there. And it's always these same people who hear you've got a private tour going and come pleading to get on ".....but I'd have signed up if I knew you had something planned!" :rolleyes:

I'm glad you posted this, because I was beginning to think it was me:o! Of four cruises taken or planned since I discovered CC, none of the roll calls has been very active, and even when our small roll calls have planned a meet and greet, not everyone showed up. Often I lurk on roll calls for sailings before or after mine because they seem to be much more active (that's why I thought it was me!) Oh well, I'm not cruising to make new friends, so it doesn't affect my cruises at all.

kakalina

I notice from your cruise list, you take many of the same cruises. Is it because you liked the ports so much? Just curious, as I seldomly cruise to the same place...

The main reason would be that we do not fly. DH is a plane crash survivor :eek:and we drive to all our embarkation ports. This limits where we can go.

However, the Tahiti/Hawaii cruise is so great that we plan to do it at least once a year. We figure we can do Europe and the cold countries when we are no longer able to physically enjoy the watersports that we like so much.:D

The main reason would be that we do not fly. DH is a plane crash survivor :eek:and we drive to all our embarkation ports. This limits where we can go.

However, the Tahiti/Hawaii cruise is so great that we plan to do it at least once a year. We figure we can do Europe and the cold countries when we are no longer able to physically enjoy the watersports that we like so much.:D

Tahiti sounds wonderful. You sail from the west coast to hawaii, then to tahiti????

Tahiti sounds wonderful. You sail from the west coast to hawaii, then to tahiti????

Yes, there are usually three boarding options; Vancouver, San Franciso or San Diego. The to the Hawaiian Islands for a week, another week to French Polynesia and a week there, and then a week back to San Diego. The beaches are majestic, the water unbelieveable and the entire cruise fascinating.

While we are on the subject......There is a nice roll call for Oosterdam's 16-day Westbound Transatlantic over in the roll call boards. This is a terrific cruise departing Oct. 17 from Barcelona, ending in Fort Lauderdale.

We have two nights in Barcelona on ship (saves the cost of hotel room). Ports include: Alicante, Malaga, Casablanca, Cadiz, Lisbon, Madeira and Half Moon Cay in the Bahamas. If you've booked this cruise or considering it, come on over to the roll call!!!!! There is lots to talk about!

Like so many others stated, it really varies on the roll calls. Some are active because of a high number or regular cruisecritic members.

Also, I know that often when it's within 90 days or less to sailing, intrest pick up. You normally have a few regular members prior to this and then others to join.

Also, you sometimes have to promote your roll call. What I did on my two prior roll call, would log on and place info,suggestions, and questions on the ports,ships,cabins,etc. This will also draw others in with their suggestions and questions.

Then there are some that either don't know about roll calls or the lurkers who view and read.

Just keep it active!!

While we are on the subject...... come on over to the roll call!!!!! There is lots to talk about!

while we are on the subject, I have also started a roll call for the 8/27/09 Noordam 20 day Mediterranean adventure cruise and would love to hear from anyone on this cruise as well...:D

I think some of the threads have some pretty snobbie remarks being made about other cruisers and cruise lines.

I have stayed away from some when the "air" is a little snobbie as I think everyone has choices to make and the cruise line you choose does not relate to your social behaviors.......

Enough said!

I have been about CC now for 5 yrs and there are basically 4 types of CCers. Those that are lurkers and will never post or post only once or twice. Those that do no feel comfortable posting here on the main HAL board but are extremely active on their Roll Call (btw I see this a lot) then there are those that post mostly here on the HAL board and then there are those like myself that post on both :D

Because I do the Oosterdam Web Cam Waves and several other waves I post on many Roll Calls and I find the majority are people/handles I do not recognize from being posters here on the HAL board. I started noticing this several years ago. Also with having done numerous sailings on the Oosterdam I have found where there will always be people that show up for the wave that never posted but were lurkers and actively read the Roll Call daily and knew who everyone was. I have even hosted Sail Away Parties where the people came and introduced themselves but siad they only lurked on the Roll Call but wanted to meet us.

Of course I do want everyone to know that they are always welcome at the Web Cam Waves even if you are a lurker ;)

Archived