Guarantees

SusieV

I'm just a little curious about guarantees.

For the heck of it, I occasionally check Celebrity's website about the price of our honeymoon cruise. I've noted by checking other sites that all the suites and 1As are sold out.

Now they're offering a 1A guarantee. This is all academic because we're booked and not trying to rebook, but what happens if they over guarantee? What if all the people who currently have deposits down continue to final payment and the group space being held gets sold?

If no 1As or not enough were available, would the guaranteed pax get suite upgrades?

Just wondering how this all works.

And for future reference, can someone please tell me which letter stands for which type of guarantee?

Thanks!

Susie

A guarantee means you'll get at least that category or a higher category. If all of the cabins in a category sell out, Celebrity can place people who booked guarantees into a higher category--or can ask people who booked specific cabins if they would like to be upgraded.

In the rare instance where a cruise line oversells a category and doesn't have that category or a higher category to move someone to, it will start offering incentives to people to downgrade. I've only read about this happening a couple of times.

The general guarantee categories are Z for inside cabins, Y for outside cabins, X for balconies, and W for suites.

A guarantee means just that. . .you are GUARANTEED to get a 1A.

The chances of getting a suite for LESS than what people are paying for their reserved 1A is highly unlikely.

Upgrades on GTY's are only reasonable when the difference between categories is only a few dollars (like from an inside 12 to an inside 10).

The difference of price between a 1A and a Sky Suite is usually hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. So the cruise line will do whatever it can to maximize revenue by squeezing more dollars out of 1A people who will pay for an upgrade -- and they'll give their cabin to a GTY passenger.

Archived