Single traveler ship recommendations??

Budget Queen

I am considering this destination next year traveling by myself. Are there any companies that offer single rooms without significant supplements???

I am NOT interested in regular cruiselines, and have to have landings and access to research stations.

I used Adventure Life out of Missoula, MT for my trip in December 2007. I believe they were just a booking agent for Peregrine Adventures which is out of Australia. I went solo and was not charged a single supplement with the understanding that a roommate might be assigned. Worked out well as there was a couple of cancellations at the end and had a room to myself plus a category upgrade as well. The ship was the Akademik Vavilov which was listed as around 100 capacity but much less than that on board thus allowing everyone to do landings on the continent at the same time. We did two landings per day (weather permitting) or zodiac cruises. We also visited an Ukranian research station as well.

Budget Queen - You should have a look at Minerva, the ship that Abercrombie & Kent uses for Antarctica. Because it has a greater capacity than is practical for landings in Antarctica, it normally sails at about half full. Therefore, it often (at least when Regent was chartering the ship with A & K) has extremely low single supplements. I recall that several of our friends went on the cruise last year as singles using double rooms, paying only 110% of regular fare. Thus, no sharing room with some stranger to get a good deal. Here is a link to a very entertaining blog from someone who is onboard Minerva now: http://web.me.com/ogram1/My_Penguin_Visit/My_Adventure_Begins.html

Another strong suggestion I would make from our experience: if you can possibly manage it, include a visit to South Georgia in your cruise. The huge King penguin colonies are on South Georgia, as are a couple of magnificent bays with many, many glaciers. Further, if you are interested in the saga of Ernest Shackleton, a visit to South Georgia is an almost must, as much of the saga took place there (and he is buried there).

Have fun looking at the alternatives.

• 2 weeks later...

as mentioned above, the Minerva will accomodate single travellers Via A & K or Noble Caledonian. These tendto be inside cabins, but you won't be spending a lot of time in your cabin, to much to see on deck etc.

we visited many bases, mostly deserted Argentinian bases, as the ex. leader was from Argentina.

South Georgia is a fantastic place, plenty of history, a working base and Penguines.

Good luck with your search for a decent ship.

Michael, Caernarfon

• 3 weeks later...
I think Quark sets up sharing as well. I know I have read a few reviews where people had booked a shared cabin.

kristy

Quark arranged for my daughter to share with another person on Orlova in January on the Explorers' Cruise, which included South Georgia.

• 2 months later...

This is all good information, I also will probably be booking this as a single when the time comes which should be in the next couple of years, probably for my birthday present to myself.

Has anyone tried the Fram, once I saw a good single supp with that one but it was through a charter as well. I am not sure it if it went to S. Georgia.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the suggestions. I am looking at an Antarctica cruise for my daughter as a college graduation present next year. She has been to six continents and is very eager to go to Antarctica.

I have a different question about single travelers.

My daughter is comfortable planning a trip alone, but prefers situations where she knows she will meet new friends once she arrives so that she doesn't spend the entire time alone. She is very shy, but very adventurous. She isn't necessarily wanting to make strong friends (although that is always wonderful), but she wants to make some casual friendships so that she isn't entirely alone throughout the trip.

Are single travelers common? Are people put into situations where it is easy to meet new people?

I am just guessing, but since the ships numbers are smaller, you probably get to know people pretty quickly. Also, it appears that most ships put you in a 'group' for your landings, you probably get to know those people fairly well.

If your daughter has done a fair bit of traveling she probably will be fine with getting to know people!

kristy

This is all good information, I also will probably be booking this as a single when the time comes which should be in the next couple of years, probably for my birthday present to myself.

Has anyone tried the Fram, once I saw a good single supp with that one but it was through a charter as well. I am not sure it if it went to S. Georgia.

Caramelo has an excellent thread, under this thread, on the Fram - story and photos.

I am just guessing, but since the ships numbers are smaller, you probably get to know people pretty quickly. Also, it appears that most ships put you in a 'group' for your landings, you probably get to know those people fairly well.

If your daughter has done a fair bit of traveling she probably will be fine with getting to know people!

kristy

Thanks. That's exactly what I thought. In my experience, people put together in small groups usually become friendly, especially in situations where they are doing things that are adventurous and active.

• 1 month later...
Lindblad has rooms set aside for single travelers that cost about 60% of the cost of a double room.

Lindblad's National Geographic Explorer does Antarctica expeditions.

Do you have a link, one National Geographic ship I saw was very expensive, not sure it was this one.

Archived