Orient Beach with Kids

steilkurve

Hello! Considering visiting that beach on a Celebrity excursion. Description says that nudity might be observed. Doesn't bother us parents but wondering how bad it is and if it would be ok for children aged 6 and 3. NP

I've read alot of discussions about this topic. I think it's a matter of your comfort level. There are family friendly areas, but there will be the occasional topless strollers walking along the beach. The areas I have hung out at were all clothed and the only nudity I saw was from the ones walking along the beach, and they were only topless. The beaches off to the right of the main beaches have the clothing optional section, but if you stay away from there, they won't see too much. I took my kids there when they were a bit older than yours and I don't think they really paid any attention [okay, my son took off for a stroll to see for himself, but most of the bathers were middle age or more and I don't think he enjoyed what he saw]. Maybe for some kids it would be a novelty or distraction, but for others it doesn't really affect them.

Hello! Considering visiting that beach on a Celebrity excursion. Description says that nudity might be observed. Doesn't bother us parents but wondering how bad it is and if it would be ok for children aged 6 and 3. NP

If it doesn't bother you it won't bother your kids. They are young enough that it won't make much difference to them. Just make sure you talk to them first so they don't point and stare.

Have fun - great beach!

We were just there last week with 2 kids ages 5 and 8. You certainly are able to walk down the beach away from the nude part of the beach, but with where we were dropped off and a little restaurant right there my kids wanted to stay there. There was one older man just walking up and down (on his nude side of the beach) my kids really didn't have much to say about it. When they asked why he was naked - I just told them that on that part of the beach if you forget your bathing suit it's ok to swim without one - but you have to stay over there. After that they swam and didn't really care!

Thanks all. Appreciate the feedback. I don't think it's a big deal from the sounds of it... Two more questions if I may given how helpful you all are! Are there other beaches you'd recommend, i.e. are others better from a beach quality standpoint? And is it worth it taking the ship's tour or are cabs safe/reliable in St Martin? Thanks again.

Orient Beach is arguably the best beach on the island, and one of the top beaches in the entire Caribbean.

There is NO reason to take a ship's tour to visit Orient. Cabs are safe, reliable and readily available.

Rates vary depending on how many are in the vehicle, but range from $6 pp to $18 for 1 or 2 on a private ride.

th_DSCN3859.jpg

(click)

gary

If you just want to go to the beach - then cab it over. We took a private tour with Bernards. $35pp and a such a great day. Air conditioned van and about 20 people on the tour! First stop was the St Maarten version of Walmart to buy souveniers - way way cheaper than anywhere else we went. Great tour of the island, 2 hours at Orient Beach, 45 mins in Marigot, about 45 mins at Maho Beach to see a big jet land (amazing) Then shopping in Phillipsburg or back to the ship. If you stay and go shopping you can take the water taxi back to the ship for 6$ or about a 10 min walk. Spectactular tour with Bernards! and we were gone for about 6 hours. Coolers of water, soda, and others!!!!

We were just there last week with 2 kids ages 5 and 8. You certainly are able to walk down the beach away from the nude part of the beach, but with where we were dropped off and a little restaurant right there my kids wanted to stay there. There was one older man just walking up and down (on his nude side of the beach) my kids really didn't have much to say about it. When they asked why he was naked - I just told them that on that part of the beach if you forget your bathing suit it's ok to swim without one - but you have to stay over there. After that they swam and didn't really care!

We were also on Bernard's Tour last week (AOS 1/25) and I can remember the old man with just a baseball cap on walking up and down the nude side of the beach! We also thought Bernard's tour was fantastic... probably one of the best we've ever taken! :) Glad you enjoyed it as much as we did!!

If you just want to go to the beach - then cab it over. We took a private tour with Bernards. $35pp and a such a great day. Air conditioned van and about 20 people on the tour! First stop was the St Maarten version of Walmart to buy souveniers - way way cheaper than anywhere else we went. Great tour of the island, 2 hours at Orient Beach, 45 mins in Marigot, about 45 mins at Maho Beach to see a big jet land (amazing) Then shopping in Phillipsburg or back to the ship. If you stay and go shopping you can take the water taxi back to the ship for 6$ or about a 10 min walk. Spectactular tour with Bernards! and we were gone for about 6 hours. Coolers of water, soda, and others!!!!

Is the other drink beer?!! And are they free?

I know you asked about nudity and kids, but I also wanted to point out at the waves at Orient Beach can get really rough, especially around the area where little kids tend to wade in in other beaches. Last week on my cruise, I was knocked around like a rag doll by two waves in quick succession - I hit my head on the sand and for a couple of seconds each time was worried that I wasn't going to get up.... I can swim and grew up in CT swimming in Long Island Sound, but I was out of my league there.

Also, I didn't think the nudity would bother me as we were on the topless side, but I also had the misfortune of sitting behind two French woman and a man, who turned their lounge chairs around to better take in the sun and were directly facing me and my friend. So every time we looked at the water we got an eyeful, which was kind of weird. But what really grossed me out was that they insisted on spreading their legs apart most of the time (better sun that way, I guess), so much so, that I could say, pretty definitively, that one of the woman was definitely a fan of brazilian waxing.

I went to five different beaches on my 10 day cruise last week, and Orient Beach was my least favorite. The cabdriver who dropped us off at Marigot recommended Mullet Bay Beach, and I will give it a try next time.

Is the other drink beer?!! And are they free?

Bernard supplied PLENTY of beverages. He had Carib beer, water, sodas and some very strong rum punch. We also had let him know ahead of time that we had a birthday celebrant with us and he brought a couple bottles of sparkling wine.

One thing to note: Club Orient is the only entirely clothing optional beach on the island but ALL beaches on both the Dutch and French side allow for women to be topless. I was on the same tour with Ginger2000 and Hancogran and we saw a couple older men in the buff on their side of Orient Beach. I also saw maybe 10-12 topless women. I honestly had expected to see more, but we were there during a rainy, breezy somewhat chilly (for the Caribbean) late morning so there wasn't a lot of sun for them to be worshipping. So kids are most likely to see topless women no matter which beach they go to on the island.

Melissa, nice explanation on the naked people! :p

Bernard supplied PLENTY of beverages. He had Carib beer, water, sodas and some very strong rum punch. We also had let him know ahead of time that we had a birthday celebrant with us and he brought a couple bottles of sparkling wine.

One thing to note: Club Orient is the only entirely clothing optional beach on the island but ALL beaches on both the Dutch and French side allow for women to be topless. I was on the same tour with Ginger2000 and Hancogran and we saw a couple older men in the buff on their side of Orient Beach. I also saw maybe 10-12 topless women. I honestly had expected to see more, but we were there during a rainy, breezy somewhat chilly (for the Caribbean) late morning so there wasn't a lot of sun for them to be worshipping. So kids are most likely to see topless women no matter which beach they go to on the island.

Melissa, nice explanation on the naked people! :p

:) Kikkykat, now I'm sure we must have been on the same bus because I remember we got the sparkling wine as soon as we got on the bus.. I thought it was champagne :confused: ! Yes, it wasn't so nice when we arrived at Orient but by the time we were ready to leave, the sun was shining again! Oh how I miss it!

Hancogran were you on the bus with the man with the UVM (University of Vermont) hat who was always the last on board?

Bernard called it champagne, but I looked at the bottle and it wasn't from France, so it wasn't champagne ;)

:) No that wasn't us, but now I know we WERE on the same bus! My husband was fuming that the same man was always the last on the bus at every stop :rolleyes:.. They were sitting on the opposite side of the bus from us... one (or maybe two) rows back. There was only one other couple in front of us in the "two seat" section. Remember there was a few people up in the front 'cab' part with the driver, then the two seats started. We were the second set of two seats. My husband has pure white hair.. can't even remember what we were wearing that day but I think he was the only one on the bus with the white hair! :D

We were directly across from UVM man, which would put us behind you. I remember someone with snow white hair, sort of... is this the back of your head by any chance? 203.jpg

:) Ding, ding, ding... you win the prize! That IS the back of my head! I guess you were sitting right behind us although I can't remember your face! Wow.. what a small world! :cool:

And we were on that one too with Becky! I was the one in the back row with the little boy and girl. My son was the one who got to keep the sea urchin after Debbie ate it. It was her birthday that day - We all had just met on CC! What a great tour Bernard did! Hope that there are more "Bernards" on the next stops we do!

To the OP

Every time we go to Orient Beach we have seen total nudity up and down the entire stretch. There is more toward the south end, but the nudists do not stay down there. You will find topless sun bathers over the entire beach. If you are concerned with seeing nude people do not go to OB.

Hi all We were also on Benards Tour but not the same day as you were there. We were there on Wed Jan 28. We sailed on the Carnival Liberty. That same man may have been walking on the beach that day too with the gray ballcap on and if you was on the topless side he had a scrap of black fabric that was tented over his ...... He would walk up to a sign that was just before the bar and turn around It really ws funny how he did it other than that man it was just topless where we sat. We had a great sunny day there Benard gives the best tour and will use him again if we get the chance to go back!

Archived