Really silly question??????

Dpeeps

We are sailing on the Navigator for spring break and one of our stops is Grand Cayman.....we are scheduled to arrive at 9am....I believe that I have read that they are not on the same time as us so when we get there am I right to think that it will actually be 8am there time??....and the excursion that we are going on says to meet them at "10:15 central time".....so what time will that be ??? :confused: 11:15 our time??? Do you know when it says we are there from 9a-6p ....is that eastern time? I hope I am not confusing you all!! :) It is just me!! :eek:

It is always the Captain's choice whether to change ship time to coincide with the time of whatever city you are visiting. If there will be a time change, it will be posted in the daily Compass as well as announced over the PA system; likewise all the ship's clocks will be set to the current "ship time." Keep your watch set to ship time when debarking at a port. If the ship is scheduled to sail at 6pm - it will sail at 6pm ship time regardless if the local time is different.

I will def do that....i was asking cause i was trying to figure our how much time we were gonna have after the excursion......it is from 1030 - 130.....wanted to try to hit the beach for a little while but also wanted to try to do a little but of shopping???? But if we are getting there at "there 8 o'clock" we could actually do a little shopping before the excursion???? That is if there is anything open and near the dock??? Anyone know???

We are sailing on the Navigator for spring break and one of our stops is Grand Cayman.....we are scheduled to arrive at 9am....I believe that I have read that they are not on the same time as us so when we get there am I right to think that it will actually be 8am there time??....and the excursion that we are going on says to meet them at "10:15 central time".....so what time will that be ??? :confused: 11:15 our time??? Do you know when it says we are there from 9a-6p ....is that eastern time? I hope I am not confusing you all!! :) It is just me!! :eek:

You might want to call the excursion business to nail down specifics but central time (CST) is one hour earlier than eastern standard time (EST). So if it's 9 am EST, then it's 8 am CST.

On all four of my cruises, they kept the ship on EST as we sailed out of Miami. If I'm not mistaken, Grand Cayman is in the same time zone as Miami -- EST or GMT-5 (world time). Perhaps they're like Hawaii and don't participate in daylight savings time. That could explain why they'd not be on the same time during the summer.

http://www.worldtimezone.com/time/wtzstandard.php?listsw=namerica&sorttb=CountryID&forma=12h

According to this site, it's Wed. 1:02 am in Georgetown so they're on the exact same time zone as Miami right now. And according to this:

http://www.stingraycitytrips.com/info/faq.shtml (search for "What does Island Time & Ship Time mean?")

they don't participate in Daylight Savings Time, so that would explain why there's a time difference when you're going to be there.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks all.....I am going to have all of us get off the ship the first thing when we get there in the am ....and just start keeping my eye out for the people from nativeway. Does anyone know are there places to shop right there where you tender over???

Thanks all.....I am going to have all of us get off the ship the first thing when we get there in the am ....and just start keeping my eye out for the people from nativeway. Does anyone know are there places to shop right there where you tender over???

Yes there are places to shop but you will meet the nativeway people under the little gazebo right when you get off the tenders. They will be holding signs. Nativway was awesome! Did the Rays Reef & Rum tour with them. I recommend it to everyone!!!!!

~Connie

Lots of shops all within a short walk of where the tenders arrive. Senor Frogs is a really fun bar nearby if you have the time. There are some good cafes nearby too if you want a break from the ship's coffee! De La Sol is also kind of a fun shop - they have them at a lot of Caribbean ports (they sell items - mainly clothing - that change color when exposed to sun). Grand Cayman is nice, but a bit on the expensive side (i.e. you can get better deals on jewelery, watches etc. in ports such as St. Thomas and St. Marten). What is nice about Grand Cayman is just about everybody you encounter is very friendly and there is not street vendors coming up and doing hard sales on you and the stores are all low pressure as well. Seven Mile Beach is a very nice beach. It is not too far from where the ship's tender, but most likely you will need a cab (I did walk it once, but it took about an hour to walk there).

Enjoy your cruise.

wanted to try to do a little but of shopping???? But if we are getting there at "there 8 o'clock" we could actually do a little shopping before the excursion???? That is if there is anything open and near the dock??? Anyone know???

There are no silly questions, just silly people asking them! ;)

When we were there on Freedom all the stores open when they show ships are arriving. On Freedom, the excursions were all based on Ship's time, which remained Miami time. As someone else suggested, they excursion operators keep an eye on that for you.

There are shops right in the vicinity of where the tenders unload passengers. If you are going to do your shopping before your tour just remember that you will have to take your purchases with you on the tour since the time involved in tendering back to the ship and then back to shore will make it difficult to shop, take your purchases back to the ship and return to Georgetown in time for your tour. It is probably easier to defer your shopping until the tour operator takes you back to the pier. If the tour ends at 1:30 you should have more than enough time.

Archived