Here's How a $350 Cruise Turns Into $1,100!

Thanks for posting this Roz. I need this for two reasons.

One, I was debating taking a 3 day cruising during the Ravens bye week this year. In my mind, I kept thinking that it was going to add up, and definitely appears it will. Probably smarter to skiip the 3 day cruise and keep the money for our 7 day cruise in February.

Second, I needed this because my Mother is going with us on a cruise next February. She keeps asking how much, and I should show her this for her to go through. She doesn't drink alcohol (she is a diabetic), may do a couple of excursions, won't do any service at the spa, not sure she would get much value out of the coke card, so I have not been worried. But I should show her your math for her budget.

Thanks for posting.

Roz,

That's neat! Clearfield isn't far away, hour or so. Yes it's still cold here

have the wood stove still going . Even now that spring is officially here,

still not a heat wave. And to add to that, all the flowers, trees and animals are starting to come out . The sap is running on the trees so everybody is busy making maple syrup. The bear was here for the first

visit of the year, pulled my bird feeder over, had some sunflower seeds and went on his way.

My dog would get to stay here while I was away, my sister and BIL

would come over and sit with her, watch tv here etc so it was the best

scenario possible. Like many peoples pets would do, you get out the luggage and you get the cold shoulder from the dog. She just KNEW what

was going on and wasn't always too happy about it. Sure miss her.

Sherri

Sherri1,

Thanks for giving people the idea to trade off pet sitting services. I was only half serious about the money we spend on it. My girlfriend, who has 5 cats, has been pet sitting for us in our home. She divides the duties with her 20 year old daughter who is in college. I pay her daughter. They've been doing this for us since her daughter was 14. My friend plays with my dog and sits in the house and watches TV with her so it's so much better than a kennel.

WOW - that is all I have to say!!! We are first time cruisers in Liberty of the Seas next month, and having only ever done All Inclusives in the Caribbean, I am amazed at all the little extras....soda; specialty restaurants; late night room service; pressing service because they do not allow irons; and the price of drinks...man - this free cruise of ours is going to cost us a small fortune!!! Never mind our kennel fees for the pups!

We are trying to take care of some costs ahead of time - we have pre-paid our tips; have booked (on our own) one excursion in Cozumel - will probably just wing it in the other ports...this thread was definately an eye opener...wonder if I can get a second job for the next 3.5 weeks!!!

Thank you to all of you, for your input here!!!

• 3 weeks later...

My DW and I booked a cruise out of our home city of SF, saved a ton on flying, car rental, parking, hotel, etc. We been to Mexico numerous times, so don't do much excursions any more, but not booking throught the ship saved big bucks, as long as you are comfortable with it.

Double might work for us.

WOW - that is all I have to say!!! We are first time cruisers in Liberty of the Seas next month, and having only ever done All Inclusives in the Caribbean, I am amazed at all the little extras....soda; specialty restaurants; late night room service; pressing service because they do not allow irons; and the price of drinks...man - this free cruise of ours is going to cost us a small fortune!!! Never mind our kennel fees for the pups!

We are trying to take care of some costs ahead of time - we have pre-paid our tips; have booked (on our own) one excursion in Cozumel - will probably just wing it in the other ports...this thread was definately an eye opener...wonder if I can get a second job for the next 3.5 weeks!!!

I hope all of this hasn't scared you off of your cruise! The Boards have lots of great ideas on how you can save money, and although there are lots of ways to spend your money if you want to (Spas, Shopping, etc.) you can also have a great time aboard and ashore and spend relatively little by taking advantage of everything that is included in your basic cruise fare.

Have a great time!

Good advice, Smokeyham. I think what we were all trying to do is give cruisers (especially newbies) some idea of expenses they may not have thought of.

Roz

Bingo is illegal in the state where I live :rolleyes:, so a cruise is the only opportunity I have to play. Unless I want to cross state lines for immoral purposes. :eek:

Roz

We are going on a cruise next month and it just happens to come around my husbands bday and our anniversary. I dont drink much other than a glass or two of wine so we are going to purchase carnival cruises "cruise the vineyards" apckage for 150. 5 bottles of decent wine. Also whenever anyone asks what my husband wants for his bday or what we want as an anniversary gift we tell them drink coupons for our cruise lol. My husabnd can be quite the party animal and i figure if he has to ration out his coupons instead of the easy ol' "swipe the card" maybe we can keep the alcohol costs to a minimum since that seems to be what we spent the most money on last time. Oh, I will aslo be getting any spa treatments and/or massages BEFORE getting on the boat... talk about a 400% markup!

Oh No! This has me rethinking if we can really afford a one week Alaska cruise that we have just started planning for summer 2010.

I've found a cruise for $1300 (OV) each including taxes, so that's $2600. If I have to triple it that would be $7800 - too much money for only one week!

I've done a quick budget for two people and came up with:

Cruise - $2600

Air Fare - $ 800

OnBoard costs, including excursions - $1000

Pre-cruise hotel, food & car rental $ 500

TOTAL $4900

I know we'll have insurance and taxis, but I would hope to not spend much more than $5000. On our one and only cruise we did spend $1000 onboard, so that's how I arrived at that cost. Am I dreaming of the impossible? I can't help but be concerned about the cost as we're retired, but I wonder if I'm over-planning and over-analyzing everything. This thread was a bit of a wake-up to make me think twice. Please tell me that the cruise is worth it. We often rent a condo in Florida and it can be very reasonable - we eat out sometimes, but we cook many meals. However, this cruise is to celebrate a special anniversary (40 years).

Thanks

Oh No! This has me rethinking if we can really afford a one week Alaska cruise that we have just started planning for summer 2010.

I've found a cruise for $1300 (OV) each including taxes, so that's $2600. If I have to triple it that would be $7800 - too much money for only one week!

Cruise - $2600

Air Fare - $ 800

TOTAL $4900

I know we'll have insurance and taxis, but I would hope to not spend much more than $5000. On our one and only cruise we did spend $1000 onboard, so that's how I arrived at that cost. Am I dreaming of the impossible? I can't help but be concerned about the cost as we're retired, but I wonder if I'm over-planning and over-analyzing everything. This thread was a bit of a wake-up to make me think twice. Please tell me that the cruise is worth it. We often rent a condo in Florida and it can be very reasonable - we eat out sometimes, but we cook many meals. However, this cruise is to celebrate a special anniversary (40 years).

Thanks

Congratulations on your 40th Anniversary!

I went to Alaska a number of years ago, and splurged on shore excursions (including a helicopter trip to a glacier) and other expenses. Settling the tab was a bit of shock, but having said that, I'm so glad that I took advantage of the opportunities. The memories are wonderful and I would have missed so much if I had not done so.

Having said that, you don't have to splurge at every port and can still have a great time without racking up a huge on board bill.

Looking at your budget, if you can afford to add something to your budget for on board expenses/shore excursions, then you should be good...... but either way, I would go for it and take the cruise!

Happy anniversary.

Assuming you haven't made your final payment for your cruise yet; keep an eagle eye out on the your cruise line's website. If they fare for your class of cabin goes down, then contact them immediately to see if they will reduce your fare.

Also, sometimes they will offer you a free upgrade, but you often have to let them know that you want to take advantage of that possibility, so you might want to contact the cruise line to discuss this.

Have a wonderful vacation!

So, it is best NOT to pay up front? in order to get a better deal on the room?

We have done both cruises and all inclusive in Mexico and Jamaica. It's quite and adjustment to make in terms of extras. I love A/I because I always know exactly what my trip will cost and pretty much have it paid for in advance. I am not tempted with pics, soda cards and which excursion to take or miss. My cheap little cruise end up costing me my big A/I vacation, sometimes.

So, it is best NOT to pay up front? in order to get a better deal on the room?

In order to secure your cabin you'll need to put down a deposit, but don't pay off the final amount until you have to; this gives you more bargaininig power if the cruise fare goes down. As has been indicated in other posts you, and/or your TA, need to keep an eye on the posted rates for your class of cabin (often through the cruise line's website), and then call them immediately if you see a lower rate posted.

Thanks for the info Smokey and your good wishes for our anniversary (still a year away). You talked about deposits, fare reduction and upgrades in your last couple of posts. How much deposit is usually required? Are fare reductions very common? What about upgrades?

Last cruise (our one and only) we paid for the cheapest ocean view, but ended up very close to the front of the ship, which I didn't like. I'd like to pay for a more expensive OV, and hope to get upgraded to a balcony. Is this possible? Can you say that when you book, or is that a no-no?

Have fun on your upcoming cruise - I see it's just a little over a week away!

Last cruise (our one and only) we paid for the cheapest ocean view, but ended up very close to the front of the ship, which I didn't like. I'd like to pay for a more expensive OV, and hope to get upgraded to a balcony. Is this possible? Can you say that when you book, or is that a no-no?

I'm not sure on this, but from what I understood with ours, they won't upgrade you to a balcolny, but they may upgrade you higher on the ship. We were in an IS, paid the cheapest rates, but paid them very very early, and ended up on the 8th deck, so that was a huge upgrade.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info Smokey and your good wishes for our anniversary (still a year away). You talked about deposits, fare reduction and upgrades in your last couple of posts. How much deposit is usually required? Are fare reductions very common? What about upgrades?

Have fun on your upcoming cruise - I see it's just a little over a week away!

Thanks.... We're very excited!!

As an example, my deposit was $100 on a total cruise fare of $612. In the past, I've gone with a specific cabin, so I know exactly what I'm getting. This precludes being upgraded, so there is a trade off.

I know of one person who booked extremely early, and was upgraded from an inside cabin to a balcony, but my understanding is that is extremely rare. As others have posted, it seems more likely you'd just get upgraded to a higher deck.

I did ask NCL about how upgrades work, and they said that I would have the option to refuse an upgrade if I didn't like the proposed new cabin.

I'm not sure how long they "hold" an upgraded cabin for you, i.e. do you have to be available by phone to get an upgrade, or will they check with you by e-mail. Perhaps others have more info. on this?

Mrs. Charmin,

Yes, Alaskan cruises tend to be more expensive. As Smokey Ham said, be selective about your shorex. For instance, in one port I did the expensive helicopter landing on the glacier tour, but in another I just walked around town and took in the sights and did some early Christmas shopping. Since you're planning your cruise way ahead, do your research over on the Alaskan ports board, and/or go to the library and pick up some guidebooks.

Roz

$140 on bingo, wow. i miss horse racing, especially at the pool. bingo is to frustrating since you always think you are going to win and never do. plus the payouts are the worst on ship. carnival used to have an old guy with two babes walking around selling lottery tickets. he was a hoot.

Cruise - $2600

Air Fare - $ 800

TOTAL $4900

Thanks

We did an Alaskan cruise on Princess a few years ago and it totaled around $6000.

Base cruisefare: $2900 (balcony)

Airfare (Baltimore to Anchorage): $700/person

Airfare (Vancouver to Baltimore): $400/person

Pre-cruise hotel: $80

Train from Anchorage to Whittier: $100/person (I think) (glass all around and wonderful views)

Excursions: $350

No onboard costs

While ours was more than what you mention here is what we did..

Priceline for the hotel and got a wonderful rate (my father stayed at the same hotel but booked through their website - paid $250)

We did some of the nice but "cheaper" excursions.

Didn't bother with the extra costs

Main thing...we booked far in advance (more than a year). It allowed us to spreadout our payments

It was definately worth it!!! The sites are gorgeous, and like nothing you have ever seen before. I hate cold weather so I wasn't that enthused about it (more for my husband), but I will definately go back (I just need to get to Venice first)

Thanks for posting your Alaskan cruise budget. I find it helpful to see what other people spend, and what areas they economize on. That open jaw airfare (different embarkation and debarkation ports) to and from Alaska is a killer. That's what I did on my very first cruise.

Roz

Archived