A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

I'm booked on the Eurodam 8 Aug 10 Baltic and Russia Discovery cruise. I just noticed that all the suites are booked (you get the dreaded "Call for Availability" notice on HAL's website). This seems really odd to me this far out, unless for some reason a group has booked all the suites.

Do you happen to know any of the possible reasons that suites might be booked out this far in advance? I'm just really concerned that there is a large group taking this cruise (based on other posters' comments about being on cruises with large groups, I'd just as soon avoid a cruise that's catering to a large group. And yes, I've Googled the cruise but nothing comes up regarding any groups booked on it). I've been told that a large travel agent might have reserved all the suites, but that seems really odd to me as well.

Any insight into what might cause all the suites to be unavailable on a cruise that's still over 7 months away would be greatly appreciated!

I'm booked on the Eurodam 8 Aug 10 Baltic and Russia Discovery cruise. I just noticed that all the suites are booked (you get the dreaded "Call for Availability" notice on HAL's website). This seems really odd to me this far out, unless for some reason a group has booked all the suites.

Do you happen to know any of the possible reasons that suites might be booked out this far in advance? I'm just really concerned that there is a large group taking this cruise (based on other posters' comments about being on cruises with large groups, I'd just as soon avoid a cruise that's catering to a large group. And yes, I've Googled the cruise but nothing comes up regarding any groups booked on it). I've been told that a large travel agent might have reserved all the suites, but that seems really odd to me as well.

Any insight into what might cause all the suites to be unavailable on a cruise that's still over 7 months away would be greatly appreciated!

If a search on google came back negative then likely there is no group. Also, one thing I want to point out as it is misunderstood ALL the time on CC is that when a group is set up by a travel agent or guest, there is only the promise that if the category doesn't sell out, "you will get 'X' price and if selected, 'Y' amenities"

There rooms are NOT taken out of inventory until they are booked, and if not deposited on, they will return to inventory within 5 days if not sooner. Also, to my knowledge, suites are usually not part of the allotment that would be given.

No idea what could be going on, but you ARE picking a ship that is basically the newest in the fleet (Nieuw Amsterdam will have only been out a month by that time), IS the newest doing Northern Europe and you are selecting the peak of summer so whether in the typically cool climate ought to be more summer-like even for up there... Not seeing everything in front of me, it could just be the fact you are picking a popular date.

No idea what could be going on, but you ARE picking a ship that is basically the newest in the fleet (Nieuw Amsterdam will have only been out a month by that time), IS the newest doing Northern Europe and you are selecting the peak of summer so whether in the typically cool climate ought to be more summer-like even for up there... Not seeing everything in front of me, it could just be the fact you are picking a popular date.

Had I not just checked last week and there were scads of suites available then, I'd agree with you. But a sudden sell-out of all the suites makes me suspicious that something is going on. Top that off with the fact that the early upper dining is now closed (not waitlisted, but completely closed) this far out also makes me think something is going on.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is simply a coincidence and that the cruise will be one geared towards everyone onboard, not just a select group who has chosen to book it. Thankfully I booked my aft wrap-around suite before they all closed out...so at least I have my haven to run to if indeed the cruise is overrun by a bunch of "groupies!!";)

Hello again and Happy New Year.My question is this.I am interested in taking The Grand Anchorage and Portage Glacier Tour.I had first researced it as an independent excursion.

I was notified that HAL had booked all the Busses that enabled one to take tour independently,by contracting with the individual tours.One of my main reasons for choosing this tour was the visitation of The Native Heritage Center.It is not listed as part of the excursion,althoghth the time is still 10 hours.I called HAL and the woman I spoke to knew only what was written.How to I go about finding out this info before I commit to booking this excursion.

Thanks again

Hello again and Happy New Year.My question is this.I am interested in taking The Grand Anchorage and Portage Glacier Tour.I had first researced it as an independent excursion.

I was notified that HAL had booked all the Busses that enabled one to take tour independently,by contracting with the individual tours.One of my main reasons for choosing this tour was the visitation of The Native Heritage Center.It is not listed as part of the excursion,althoghth the time is still 10 hours.I called HAL and the woman I spoke to knew only what was written.How to I go about finding out this info before I commit to booking this excursion.

Thanks again

Although it is not typically a department that you can reach by phone, I would recommend contacting Reservations and ask your specific question. Explain that you understand the information they have will likely be limited to the brochure and ask if they can put you on hold and see if "Tour Inventory" has some additional light they could shed on this. (As you mention Anchorage I am assuming this is part of a Cruisetour? If this is a shore excursion for the AMsterdam cruise that will dock there, then I would recommend contacting shore excursions and if the person you speak with is unsure, ask if you can be transferred to someone above them that might be more familiar, or perhaps leave your information and ask for someone to follow up with you)

Although it is not typically a department that you can reach by phone, I would recommend contacting Reservations and ask your specific question. Explain that you understand the information they have will likely be limited to the brochure and ask if they can put you on hold and see if "Tour Inventory" has some additional light they could shed on this. (As you mention Anchorage I am assuming this is part of a Cruisetour? If this is a shore excursion for the AMsterdam cruise that will dock there, then I would recommend contacting shore excursions and if the person you speak with is unsure, ask if you can be transferred to someone above them that might be more familiar, or perhaps leave your information and ask for someone to follow up with you)

No this is not a cruisetour.We are on the 14 Night Amsterdam that Ports in Anchorage .We will be the third cruise to port there(2 stops in May)We will be there June 21 Summer Solctice.Thanks for the advise.

Hello Dutch, and Happy New Year. I have a question I'm hoping you can answer :) We're booked on the April 6 Hawaii cruise on the Zaandam. Some of us on the roll call have noticed that ours is the only Hawaii cruise that has never gone on sale, and PCCs and TAs don't see it going on sale anytime soon. (final payment is the 21st of this month)

Also for the past couple weeks all categories of staterooms except the bottom 5 categories have been marked "closed". TAs and PCCs are saying this cruise is far from sold out......do you have an idea of what might be going on?? At first I hoped it meant they were working on a sale for this cruise, but now it doesn't sound like it.

Thanks!

I know this probably has been asked and answered but I am too lazy to look it up. We are cruising 1-24 to 1-31-2010. When are the formal nights? :confused:Thank you.

I just sailed this same itinerary on the Westerdam last month. The first formal night occurs on the first sea day and the second one the day after Curacao.

elycelynne, we will be skipping the formal nights and going to the Pinnacle instead. With the luggage restrictions I'm not packing a suit and sportcoat for DH and very fancy clothes for me. We'll take a sportcoat and dress slacks for the Pinnacle for DH. I like white and cream colored slacks and dressy tops for me. I'm not a formal dress type. I want to relax, not worry about things like, am I up to other people's standards so that's why I needed an answer to this question. I can't wait to wear shorts and tees again and relax on the balconey. It's blowing and snowing here and single diget temps. Come on Caribbean.;)

HI Dutch,

we are heading off on the Zuiderdam on April 10/10 and the the Nieu Amsterdam (the one you bowed out of) on October 18th. Can you share with me who the captains and the hotel managers will be. I would like to set up some meet n greets for my fellow cruise critic passengers and hopefully someone from the ship will come? Is there a trick to do this? thank s so much. Jacqui.

Buon Giorno DBA,

or good morning from the land downunder.

I was wondering with your excellent connections with HAL if you knew when they were going to release the cruise schedules for TA crossings from Fort Lauderdale to Europe in 2011.

So far the only ones are for the Prinsendam although from looking at 2011 schedules up to March it would appear that the Eurodam & Niuew Amsterdam will be doing TA crossings in early April.

We did a 28 day TA last April and now I am hooked on the TA's.

If you by any chance can assist it would be appreciated.

Thank you once again,

ciao,

Cristiano.

elycelynne, we will be skipping the formal nights and going to the Pinnacle instead. With the luggage restrictions I'm not packing a suit and sportcoat for DH and very fancy clothes for me. We'll take a sportcoat and dress slacks for the Pinnacle for DH. I like white and cream colored slacks and dressy tops for me. I'm not a formal dress type. I want to relax, not worry about things like, am I up to other people's standards so that's why I needed an answer to this question. I can't wait to wear shorts and tees again and relax on the balconey. It's blowing and snowing here and single diget temps. Come on Caribbean.;)

On formal nights the Pinnacle will also be formal.

You only non-formal dinner place would be the Lido or in your stateroom.

Ray

Hey there. Sorry I didn't reply back sooner. Formal nights CAN always change, but the answer provided will most likely be the case. Once you get onboard you can always ask the Front Office as well. And you can absolutely count on no formal night on the evening that you board. Other than that, while you may see trends, it IS at the discretion of the Captain.

HI Dutch,

we are heading off on the Zuiderdam on April 10/10 and the the Nieu Amsterdam (the one you bowed out of) on October 18th. Can you share with me who the captains and the hotel managers will be. I would like to set up some meet n greets for my fellow cruise critic passengers and hopefully someone from the ship will come? Is there a trick to do this? thank s so much. Jacqui.

Nieuw Amsterdam hasn't entirely been determined in scheduling yet, although I can say unless something major comes up the inaugural sailings will be Captained by Edward van Zaane (http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2009/10/captain-edward-g-van-zaane-will-be.html) and the Hotel Manager at launch will be Stan Kuppens (if you haven't seen it, you can follow my 1 on 1 with Stan and other coverage about this amazing Hotel Manager here: http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/search/label/Meet%20the%20Crew as well as coverage of several other officers.)

Buon Giorno DBA,

or good morning from the land downunder.

I was wondering with your excellent connections with HAL if you knew when they were going to release the cruise schedules for TA crossings from Fort Lauderdale to Europe in 2011.

So far the only ones are for the Prinsendam although from looking at 2011 schedules up to March it would appear that the Eurodam & Niuew Amsterdam will be doing TA crossings in early April.

We did a 28 day TA last April and now I am hooked on the TA's.

If you by any chance can assist it would be appreciated.

Thank you once again,

ciao,

Cristiano.

Buon Giorno! (okay, it's 8pm here... Buona Sera!)

Transatlantics typically come out with the Europe brochure and I believe that is slated for April/May 2010. Bookings however, will be accepted sooner than that as mentioned in a recent news release. Here's an excerpt (I made the part you care about red :) ):

Europe cruises

In 2011 Holland America Line will feature seven ships cruising the Mediterranean, Baltic and Northern Europe from Civitavecchia (Rome), Venice, Barcelona, Dover (London), Rotterdam, Copenhagen, Athens and Amsterdam. Both ms Nieuw Amsterdam and ms Noordam will sail the Mediterranean all season. The Nieuw Amsterdam, which debuts on July 4, 2010, will offer 12-day sailings while the Noordam will feature seven- and 10-day cruises.

The ms Ryndam will sail a series of Mediterranean and Northern Europe cruises ranging from seven to 21 days. The ms Rotterdam will also sail Northern Europe and Mediterranean itineraries of seven to 12 days, including some that feature the Black Sea and the Holy Land. The Rotterdam will also sail two nine-day historic transatlantic cruises mid-season.

The ms Eurodam begins her 2011 season with two seven-day Mediterranean sailings and then offers ten- and 12-day cruises in the Baltic. Both the ms Prinsendam and ms Maasdam will also feature Europe cruises, the Maasdam again sailing its traditional transatlantic roundtrip itinerary from Boston that visits Greenland and Iceland.

Many of the above cruises can be combined into Collectors’ Voyages ranging from 17 to 39 days. Holland America will begin accepting 2011 Europe cruise bookings late January 2010.

Hi DBA,

thank you for the info re the European Brochure which I was unaware of and the fact regarding early bookings at end of January.

I had read that article but seemd to have missed the last section in red.

So my assumptions are that we will have the Nieuw Amsterdam; Noordam; Eurodam doing a TA or repositioning cruise starting possibly early April 1011.

Then the Rotterdam; Maasdam & Prinsendam also doing some more selective cruises once they reach Europe.

I prefer either the Nieuw Amsterdam or Eurodam and we are hoping that HAL will have a TA that is available this April ( which leave Fort Lauderdale and goes to Venice, as that is my so called home port) as a scheduled TA in 2011.

Grazie di nuovo e arriverderci,

ciao,

Cristiano.

On formal nights the Pinnacle will also be formal.

You only non-formal dinner place would be the Lido or in your stateroom.

Ray

Thank you. We already knew this since we have cruised before. DH will wear a dress shirt and tie with his dress pants and sportcoat. I think this should be acceptable. As I said earlier we are not the tux and gown folks. But we will dress in acceptable clothes. I will not be forced to eat in the Lido or our stateroom after paying the

$$$$$$$ for this cruise, deluxe suite and balconey, just because of no tux or gown. Our g-daughter will wear a gown, she loves to dress up. I hope this clears this up for you.

Hey there. Sorry I didn't reply back sooner. Formal nights CAN always change, but the answer provided will most likely be the case. Once you get onboard you can always ask the Front Office as well. And you can absolutely count on no formal night on the evening that you board. Other than that, while you may see trends, it IS at the discretion of the Captain.

Thank you very much. I will check after we board. :)

Hello Dutch, and Happy New Year. I have a question I'm hoping you can answer :) We're booked on the April 6 Hawaii cruise on the Zaandam. Some of us on the roll call have noticed that ours is the only Hawaii cruise that has never gone on sale, and PCCs and TAs don't see it going on sale anytime soon. (final payment is the 21st of this month)

Also for the past couple weeks all categories of staterooms except the bottom 5 categories have been marked "closed". TAs and PCCs are saying this cruise is far from sold out......do you have an idea of what might be going on?? At first I hoped it meant they were working on a sale for this cruise, but now it doesn't sound like it.

Thanks!

Hello again, apparently my post, first in this list of questions, was missed when you posted answers. Can you help me out? Thanks again.......

Archived