Are Princess Ships the Same?

kimchee1212

From the pictures that I have seen, the Princess ships seem to have the same layouts and look nearly exactly the same.

I have also come to notice that the dining rooms look slightly lackluster to me.

Are all of the ships like this?

How would you compare Golden vs. Sapphire? Are there any differences?

Thank you~!

Edit: I'm specifically talking about 2000-range passenger ships.

From the pictures that I have seen, the Princess ships seem to have the same layouts and look nearly exactly the same.

I have also come to notice that the dining rooms look slightly lackluster to me.

Thank you~!

I wouldnt say "lackluster", more like understated....which to me is much more tasteful than say the electric look of a Carnival ship. I for one really like the decor on the grand class ships.

And yes, as others have said, the layouts are basically the same. To me thats a good thing though - adds a familiarity when you come back, makes it feel more like you're "home".

The Star, Golden, Carribbean and Grand Princess are the same, except the Caribbean Princess has one more deck.

The Diamond and Sapphire Princess are sister ships and are the same.

The Ruby, Crown, and Emerald Princess are the 2nd Gen Grand class ships and are pretty much the same

Thank you~!

The Golden and the Sapphire are very similar. The Sapphire, of course, is newer and has its Skywalkers moved forward to just behind the funnel, so the aft decks are very sunny and terraced so they have a great view of the wake. Most of the interior is the same layout, but do remember that the Golden will be going into drydock soon and be refurbished with the amenities from the newest ships. One thing that I really like about the Sapphire is that she is wider than the rest of the Grand-class ships and therefore her Promenade deck is larger and has lounge chairs instead of benches.

Princess has seveal groups of ships which are very similar. For instance, the Pacific, Royal and Tahitian Princess are sister ships of similar design.

Frtunately Princess ships are more understated, rathe than using the tacky color schemes favored by some other lines.

The Sapphire has a totally different dining arrangement versus the Golden.

True, but the only difference is that the 2 midship dining rooms on the Golden are split into 4 dining rooms on the Sapphire (and each, of course, has a signature specialty item on the dinner menu).

The Princess dining rooms are designed to be understated; you won't find chrome or faked glitz. They have sections laid out so that rather than feeling you're in one huge room, it's a more intimate atmostphere. Also, you won't find singing/dancing waiters who should be spending their time serving passengers.

The Golden and the Sapphire are quite different. Yes, most of the cabins are similar but there are differences with the dining rooms (the Sapphire has four smaller Anytime dining rooms rather than two large ones), the Atrium layout, where Skywalkers is located, and quite a few other differences. Almost no Princess ship is exactly like the others. Perhaps the most alike are the Coral with the Island, and the Sapphire with the Diamond.

The Princess dining rooms are designed to be understated; you won't find chrome or faked glitz. They have sections laid out so that rather than feeling you're in one huge room, it's a more intimate atmostphere. Also, you won't find singing/dancing waiters who should be spending their time serving passengers.

The Golden and the Sapphire are quite different. Yes, most of the cabins are similar but there are differences with the dining rooms (the Sapphire has four smaller Anytime dining rooms rather than two large ones), the Atrium layout, where Skywalkers is located, and quite a few other differences. Almost no Princess ship is exactly like the others. Perhaps the most alike are the Coral with the Island, and the Sapphire with the Diamond.

Thank you for your reply. And trust me; a dancing and singing waiter is the last thing that I want on a cruise :eek:.

I was just somewhat comparing the dining rooms that I've seen on Celebrity with Princess.

Thank you~!

You really need to take a better look at the pictures. There are many differences even in the same class ships.

If the dining room appearance bothers you, I'm sorry for that. Always thought it was the people around you and the food experience that was important.

In the interviews that I have done with Princess officers, they have said that there is an effort to ensure that all of the ships within a class are similar so that a passenger who travels on one ship will not be disappointed when he or she goes on another ship of that class.

However, having said that, the different ships were built at different times and are upgraded at different times. Thus, even within a class, the ships have some different features and/or amenities.

Also, all ships develop their own character. This largely has to do with the fact that different people (i.e. different crews) run the various ships. Everybody does not do the same thing the same way. Also, a ship tends to be imprinted with the character of its initial crew. People come and go but not all at the same time and thus the atmosphere and way of doing things tends to be carried on to a certain extent even after the initial people have left.

Archived