Fully Illustrated, Detailed MARINER Report

RMMV Aureol

Superb blog, but I believe in truth in advertising, wasn't your trip part of

Regent's invitation to key cruise press (cruise diva, avid cruiser, cruise critic, etc)

and your wasn't your 5day cruise fare paid by Regent??...even so, nice looking blog..r/wes

From the pictures she looks like the same ol Mariner, beautiful as ever. Didn't see nothing much new besides the Prime 7 and few different chairs. I must say though that your pictures are the best ones I've seen so far of the Prime 7 Restaurant. Your pics make it look inviting while some of the others including Regent's make it look drab and dark.

I appreciate your review and pictures even if they were part of a comp package. Still like seeing it and I'm counting down the days until I'll be on her....20 days from now.

Pat

I'll be posting more to the blog soon. My other blog, called Decked! will feature a top to bottom look at the ship with before and after photos of the public spaces. Not sure when I can get to it but should be by end of February.

That said, the changes weren't radical but seemed to have livened the ship up a bit.

As for Prime 7, the curtains were always closed when I went in to photograph, so on the last day, I opened them all up so I could actually see and photograph the new colors. Same for Signatures, which I will post in the next day or two with the Sea Treks update.

Many thanks!

Peter

Peter, I enjoyed the commentary and photos. The angles help, as well.

It is obvious that Prime 7's setup is quite a bit different from Voyager's, though the chairs are similar, if not the same. The room itself has a different shape and layout. Now I understand the truth in what has been said about the more additional intimate tables on Mariner (aka tables for two).

Hi Debbie,

I just added another post to the blog, which features a few of the Prime Seven dishes. Admittedly, I don't eat meat and am not a huge fan of shell fish, so I was a little out of my element. However, my tablemates were very impressed with their selections and we ended up going back the following night.

All the best,

Peter

Peter, I was worried about this restaurant before we went on Voyager for Christmas, I am not a big meat eater, either, but I do like shellfish, and I will say that ribeye on the bone was the best piece of meat I ever tried to eat. I could only do 1/3. I found the chop house salad to be quite filling, and I know they had a big chicken salad, so I hope you were able to try things like that. I have the menus from Voyager in my blog, so I am going to continue to compare to Mariner. I'm still anxious to try Mariner when the right itinerary comes, but I think it will be a while.

I would have loved a chicken salad but there were none on the Prime 7 menu the two nights we dined there. It didn't occur to me that the menu might even change during the course of the voyage but to appeal to those taking the full cruise, it would make sense to shake things up a bit.

Some of the steaks on their huge bones were straight out of The Flintstones. Huge portions -- same for the lobster. :)

All the best,

Peter

Yes, from the Flinstones was how I described it in my blog.

I can understand about the menu maybe rotating during a world cruise, but it is not like they are well into it when you got on, and I know Voyager had that chicken salad. I did not see anyone having it, but then the tables at Voyager are not really to where you can tell much what others are doing. It really looks different from the Mariner setup. The coffee bar looks different, too. The actual coffee bar itself looks similar, but I did not see that middle serving area in your Mariner pics like Voyager. I know it has been mentioned they are serving the cold cuts and the continental breakfast like Voyager there, so where do they lay out the spread?

Yes, from the Flinstones was how I described it in my blog.

I can understand about the menu maybe rotating during a world cruise, but it is not like they are well into it when you got on, and I know Voyager had that chicken salad. I did not see anyone having it, but then the tables at Voyager are not really to where you can tell much what others are doing. It really looks different from the Mariner setup. The coffee bar looks different, too. The actual coffee bar itself looks similar, but I did not see that middle serving area in your Mariner pics like Voyager. I know it has been mentioned they are serving the cold cuts and the continental breakfast like Voyager there, so where do they lay out the spread?

We have been in the Mariner coffee bar area -- it is very large (compared to to the photographs we have seen of the new Voyager coffee bar). Allmost the entire right wall of the coffee lounge is where the buffet is on the Mariner. On left side is the actual coffee bar. In the middle are several tables for 4.

The part of the Mariner coffee bar that I don't like is the fact that the behind the coffee is the library and computer room. The noise from the banging pots/dishes or whatever they use to make the coffee at the bar is loud -- too loud to be next to a library. Also, when people are chatting, playing board games, etc. at the tables, the sound level is quite high. I love the fact that Voyager coffee bar is no where near the computers or library.

Thank you for your very interesting blog. It was beautifully written, as one would expect, and the photos captured the atmosphere especially as far as dining is concerned.

As your past experience clearly covers many cruise lines, I would have liked a summary on how Regent compares, through your eyes, with other lines, both mass market and luxury.

Archived