Cruise with four 18 year old girls

appgirl

So my sister-in-law who is graduating next year wants me to take her and 3 friends on a cruise. They will all be 18 by then. I know that anyone under 21 needs an adult. But my question is can she and her friends have a room together and myself and another adult book a separate room? Do we need to book together or do we need to book 1 adult and two girls in each room?

So my sister-in-law who is graduating next year wants me to take her and 3 friends on a cruise. They will all be 18 by then. I know that anyone under 21 needs an adult. But my question is can she and her friends have a room together and myself and another adult book a separate room? Do we need to book together or do we need to book 1 adult and two girls in each room?

It will depend on the cruise line, but most cruise lines require an adult in each room when you book the rooms.

However, once you are onboard, you can just switch people around with no problem and let the 4 girls share a cabin. For your sanity! LOL

You are a wonderful SIL to do this for them.

Btw, I don't know which cruiseline you are considering but I wanted to share some info with you about NCL ships. This may, or may NOT be something that you are interested in. On NCL ships, persons between the age of 18 and 20 can purchase beer and wine with parental consent. So if you feel like you (and the girls parents of course) would like to allow them purchase alcohol while on board (no hard liquor) they could get the forms signed and notarized by their parents.

Just thought I'd mention that to you! :D

CG

Thanks. I'm not that great-I'm always ready for a trip. But I don't think they will be drinking. Everyone around where I live goes to the beach for graduation and my mother in law and I both know what goes on there so she actually felt better about the girls going on a cruise so they would not be able to drink.

Thanks. I'm not that great-I'm always ready for a trip. But I don't think they will be drinking. Everyone around where I live goes to the beach for graduation and my mother in law and I both know what goes on there so she actually felt better about the girls going on a cruise so they would not be able to drink.

Not knowing you or your sister in law and her friends.... I do offer a word of advice.... and want you to take it as just that.

You will be responsible for them and their behavior. We have read some horror stories on these boards where passengers and their companions were thrown off the ship.

So just make sure your expectations (like no drinking) and consequences are well understood. I am sure and hope you would have no problems, but just offer this so you are aware.

When you book,be sure to put 1 adult and 3 girls in one room and one adult and one girl in the other. Not all cabins accmmodate 3 or 4 people, so you want to be sure to get one that holds the 4 girls.

thanks, I will remember that.

You need to be super dilligent as a chaperone. You THINK they aren't going to drink:confused: They will be allowed to on most ships and since they are in a celebratory mood.... If they meet some young men.....

Just be careful. I'd certainly want another adult with me if I was planning on chaperoning FOUR teenagers...especially just friends, not family. :eek:

I'm like the other posters that think this is an awfully big responsibility on your part.

We took ONE friend with our daughter and that was enough for us. I think a group of four 18 yr olds might feel more risky???? But hopefully you KNOW everyone really well.

Make sure that you have the proper documentation so that you can authorize medical procedures - just in case. There may also be some other documentation that you need if you are traveling with non-related minors.

Other than that, it should be very interesting - I am not sure that I would want to travel with 4 18 year old women.

DON

Thanks. I'm not that great-I'm always ready for a trip. But I don't think they will be drinking. . . . so she actually felt better about the girls going on a cruise so they would not be able to drink.

Ha! Famous last words.

Most of the ports don't have drinking ages. Where there is a will there is a way. that spirit of "we're on vacation" can tempt even the most sober 18 year old kid especially in a group.

When we sailed Princess they allowed my son (16) and his friend (18) to have their own cabin across the hall from us. The pursers desk was nice enough to give me an extra key card to get in their room when I wanted.

On our upcoming HAL cruise my son (now 18) is allowed to share a cabin with his brother (25) - again across the hall from us.

Make sure that you have the proper documentation so that you can authorize medical procedures - just in case. There may also be some other documentation that you need if you are traveling with non-related minors.

Other than that, it should be very interesting - I am not sure that I would want to travel with 4 18 year old women.

DON

They are not minors, they are all 18, the only time you might need medical authorization would be if one of them would not be able to sign.

I took my daughter and her best friend on a cruise for my daughter's high school graduation. My daughter was 18, her friend was 17. We traveled on Carnival.

My son, 12 at the time, and I were in the room next door to the girls. Yes, it did say in the paperwork that there had to be an over-21 adult in every room, but I was the only over 21 adult and they allowed me to book the two rooms.

They also, while hesitant, allowed my daughter to participate in the teen group on board, even though she was no longer 17. There's really nothing for that odd 18-20 age group - too old for the teen clubs and too young for the adult clubs.

We had NO problems at all and we all had a blast. I chose a cruise with ports I'd visited before and felt were safe. The girls did a cruise ship excursion in Cozumel - horseback riding. They took a cab to Seven Mile Beach on Grand Cayman.

We all met for dinner and at various times throughout the day.

My son, who will graduate in 2011, wants a cruise for his high school graduation!

I took my daughter and her best friend on a cruise for my daughter's high school graduation. My daughter was 18, her friend was 17. We traveled on Carnival.

My son, 12 at the time, and I were in the room next door to the girls. Yes, it did say in the paperwork that there had to be an over-21 adult in every room, but I was the only over 21 adult and they allowed me to book the two rooms.

They also, while hesitant, allowed my daughter to participate in the teen group on board, even though she was no longer 17. There's really nothing for that odd 18-20 age group - too old for the teen clubs and too young for the adult clubs.

We had NO problems at all and we all had a blast. I chose a cruise with ports I'd visited before and felt were safe. The girls did a cruise ship excursion in Cozumel - horseback riding. They took a cab to Seven Mile Beach on Grand Cayman.

We all met for dinner and at various times throughout the day.

My son, who will graduate in 2011, wants a cruise for his high school graduation!

I think you are very brave and trusting of others to let two 18 year olds take a cab anywhere at any port alone. I am not that sure of other peoples' behavior....especially on foreign ground.:eek:

pringingchick, What cruiseline did you sail when they let your 18 year old participate in the teen activities? My son is 18, still a high school student, and the teen activities end at 17. He is heartbroken since his younger sisters can still participate. We are sailing RCI in March. I should create a new post for this and see what others say.

pringingchick, What cruiseline did you sail when they let your 18 year old participate in the teen activities? My son is 18, still a high school student, and the teen activities end at 17. He is heartbroken since his younger sisters can still participate. We are sailing RCI in March. I should create a new post for this and see what others say.

I was on Carnival at that point. RCI may be more strict. It's difficult for kids in that in-between age.

If you are traveling when other kids are also on school vacation, he won't have any trouble meeting people. We've done family cruises enough to know that even some of the 17 yr olds feel too old to particiapte in the teen activites. There will be groups that just meet up and go off on their own...movies, the shows, karoke, activites offered on the deck. The pool is a great place to meet others. I wouldn't worry too much.

We travelled to Barcelona with my daughter's 20 year old friend, RCL would not let us board because we didn't think of bringing proper authorization for medical for the friend!! It was hectic waking her mother up and having her get to a fax machine! Don't assume you don't need documents! This was for emergency medical care. You should check and recheck with your cruise line!

Archived