Warning - FLL Rental Car Shuttles to Port Everglades

crusinmama06

:p

While holding for customer service, I figured it out for myself...this is what I typed for the return location:

FT. LAUDERDALE OFF ARPT, FL,US

Thrifty's rate for a minivan is by far the lowest I have found...thanks again for the tip. My van is now booked...I am so relieved...as we wanted to get our diapers, baby food, wipes, etc. once in Florida to avoid paying extra baggage fees.

Does anyone know if there is a Wal-Mart/Costco/Target close by the airport or piers?:rolleyes:

Yes, definitely drop it off at the Thrifty location at the port and not at the terminal at FLL. There is so much confusion in this!! We did make the mistake of dropping our Thrifty rental at FLL and they said that the port busses were only for people who had rented from National, Hertz, Avis, and Alamo. We ended up looking for the taxis but then someone helped us out....;)

That's hogwash. I took the Thrifty Shuttle in January no problem (well, insane traffic, but no problems with anything in Thrifty's control ]If I were you I'd be making a right royal stink with Enterprise, demanding a refund of my taxi fare or some equivalent compensation. Several employees knew of your plans and yet did not inform you they didn't have a shuttle. If you have any of this in writing all the better

We rented from Thrifty, & had to take a taxi. We dropped our luggage off at the pier 1st, then dropped the car off at the airport & took a cab. $6, because we had no luggage.

Could you tell me why you had to drop off your car at the airport and then pay for a taxi to the port? We had planned on dropping our car off at the Thrifty location on 17th street and then their free shuttle to the cruise pier...otherwise you are paying for the car and the taxi, which is what we are trying to avoid...???

Could you tell me why you had to drop off your car at the airport and then pay for a taxi to the port? We had planned on dropping our car off at the Thrifty location on 17th street and then their free shuttle to the cruise pier...otherwise you are paying for the car and the taxi, which is what we are trying to avoid...???

We dropped off our Thrifty rental at FLL and not the port location because we didn't know there was a port location. Now we know better... at least that's our story...:rolleyes:

Next year for spring break, when we sail on Oasis... I think we'll rent from Hertz because that's who we usually rent from anyway for business. That way we can legally take the shuttle from the airport to the pier.;)

Hello Bequia,

Since you have all the answers to our ?'s, I'll ask another please. I have the Westin Fll, Corp Drive booked and wondered if I should rent a car, since they don't have shuttle service from a.port/cruise port. Would it be cheaper this way or cab it? Thanks for your help, Li from Mass

do we have to show the magic card? i had one, of course i cant find it and i cant remember the site to have one sent to me. it is an great discount..thanks..cruisegal

We didn't have to in January, but you can always print one off the website just in case.

For rentals with Thrifty, use the Orlando Magic Card code - 004M001010. While there's a $25 drop-off fee if you rent at Port Everglades and drop off at MIA, it might still be cost-effective with the discount - and the code also gives you a free second driver, with was a huge plus for us.

We returned our car at Thrifty's office right at the entrance to the port. We're not just talking heavy traffic - were talking every square inch of road used up by a vehicle. It was a madhouse. It literally took us 15 minutes to get from the corner of the street to the entrance of the lot - probably all of 20 feet. If traffic was anything like it was the day we were there, I could see a metered taxi fare running to $32 very easily.

Thank you for the info. Just booked with Thrifty and saved $100.00 using the Orlando Magic Card code.:D:D:D:D Yaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!

I just reserved a car rental with Thrifty, picking up at MIA airport and returning to FLL airport. I could not find a Thrifty at 17th street near the port. Do you have the address?

I just booked with Hertz, for a whole bunch of difference reasons I won't go into here, for a car rental from our home near Orlando to take us to Ft Lauderdale for our April 18th cruise.

From what I can tell from this thread I should be able to take the rental car to the dock and drop off our bigger luggage with the porters and then go back to the airport and drop the car off and take a "free" shuttle" back to the ship with our carry-ons.

Does anyone see any problems with this plan? Hertz seems to be one of the companies that "sponsors" the free shuttle. In a worst case scenario we could take a cab especially if it only costs around $10 but free is almost always better.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

BY the way Thifty car rental is charging a $100 extra charge for one way rentals from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale. They claim it pays for them to have someone drive the car back. It made them much more expensive than anyone else.

Have a great next cruise.

Edited by wwinfl91

I just booked with Hertz, for a whole bunch of difference reasons I won't go into here, for a car rental from our home near Orlando to take us to Ft Lauderdale for our April 18th cruise.

From what I can tell from this thread I should be able to take the rental car to the dock and drop off our bigger luggage with the porters and then go back to the airport and drop the car off and take a "free" shuttle" back to the ship with our carry-ons.

Does anyone see any problems with this plan? Hertz seems to be one of the companies that "sponsors" the free shuttle. In a worst case scenario we could take a cab especially if it only costs around $10 but free is almost always better.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

BY the way Thifty car rental is charging a $100 extra charge for one way rentals from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale. They claim it pays for them to have someone drive the car back. It made them much more expensive than anyone else.

Thrifty is charging me $35 for one way charge drop off at Ft Lauderdale; I am picking up in Miami for our 12/24 cruise. Mid size car for $35 per day. Car drop off is off airport sight, but not far from port everglade cruise port and they have free shuttle to port.

We will be dropping off our luggage at cruise port before returning rental car. Read on other boards that is the way to do it.

Wonder how early can you drop of luggage?

We will be dropping off our luggage at cruise port before returning rental car. Read on other boards that is the way to do it.

It is probably a good idea to drop off your luggage first, but you will probably need to leave people with your luggage while one person returns the rental car. You probably won't find a place to park your car at the port, and there may be a short line to drop off the luggage.

It is probably a good idea to drop off your luggage first, but you will probably need to leave people with your luggage while one person returns the rental car. You probably won't find a place to park your car at the port, and there may be a short line to drop off the luggage.

Not sure I understand. Why would I need to park the rental car to drop off luggage? I thought we would pull up in the drop off luggage lane, drop of luggage and return car(of course we would keep carry on with us). I am traveling with DH, and 2 teens and I am not sure if I would want to leave them behind and return car, prefer to stay together to avoid any possible separation:eek:. Do not want family to go wondering off in awe over the new ship.;)

Unless they have changed things since we last sailed out of Ft Lauderdale in Nov 2008 you can drive your car up to an area where the porters will be and they will take your luggage from you and haul it into the terminal. They expect tips and since you definitely want to make sure your luggage makes it to the ship figure on a couple of dollars a bag to the guy you give them to.

Then if we are driving our own car I would go to the parking lot but this time we will be taking the car back to the Hertz drop off at the airport and taking the shuttle with our carry-ons back to the ship.

As far as I know there is no reason for someone to stay with the luggage once you have given it to the porters.

Not sure I understand. Why would I need to park the rental car to drop off luggage? I thought we would pull up in the drop off luggage lane

Things may vary depending on which cruiseline and which pier. The last time we were in FLL, which was several years ago there was no drop off luggage lane . It was not like an airport where they have curbside luggage service. We got out of our taxi, and we had to walk several hundred feet with all of our luggage, then wait in line to drop it off. If people would park their car by the curb while they are waiting in line, then it would block the road for everybody.

On our last cruise (San Juan) they had a drive up and drop of luggage lane. When the cab pulled up, porters came to the vehicles with luggage racks to load up luggage from the cars. They had in their hands extra luggage tags for people who did not have pre printed tags. The porters moved very fast which allowed traffic to move fast. It was 5 of us with about 10 pieces of luggage and we tipped $25. Our luggage was in the the stair well before we got to our stateroom. Good Tips help.

Not sure I understand. Why would I need to park the rental car to drop off luggage? I thought we would pull up in the drop off luggage lane, drop of luggage and return car(of course we would keep carry on with us). I am traveling with DH, and 2 teens and I am not sure if I would want to leave them behind and return car, prefer to stay together to avoid any possible separation:eek:. Do not want family to go wondering off in awe over the new ship.;)

You will need your cruise documentation & id handy to enter the port area. The line up to get into the port can be lengthy so count on 15 minutes or so for this.

I would suggest dropping off all baggage and all passengers except the driver. Have them wait by the doors going into the terminal building. As long as they do that the driver will not have any trouble finding them when they get off the shuttle. Driver likely will not need it, but they should take their cruise documentation with them - I don't recall passengers on the shuttle having to show it, but my memory is a little hazy on this point.

Personally, I wouldn't fuss with all this dropping-off-luggage business. Unless you're bringing a trunk the size of a small mobile home, they'll be plenty of space for your luggage in the back of the shuttle.

There is lots of space on the shuttles but the driver is going to expect a tip for loading and unloading the luggage. Also, there is a bit of a walk from the Hertz drop off area to the shuttle stop. It's only about 350', but involves several turns and going through at least two sets of doors.

Personally, I wouldn't fuss with all this dropping-off-luggage business. Unless you're bringing a trunk the size of a small mobile home, they'll be plenty of space for your luggage in the back of the shuttle.

On our 2007 Christmas cruise, which was for 12 days, we had 13 pieces of luggage. That was for three of us and most of the luggage was mine. I am a women who loves to dress and must have shoes, shoes and more shoes. This upcoming cruise is for 11 days and this time it is 4 of us and 3 are females.:eek::eek::eek:

There is lots of space on the shuttles but the driver is going to expect a tip for loading and unloading the luggage. Also, there is a bit of a walk from the Hertz drop off area to the shuttle stop. It's only about 350', but involves several turns and going through at least two sets of doors.

Rather do a small tip and save the money for airline baggage fees. I am renting from Thrifty and returning car off airport site and they have shuttle service.

On our 2007 Christmas cruise, which was for 12 days, we had 13 pieces of luggage. That was for three of us and most of the luggage was mine. I am a women who loves to dress and must have shoes, shoes and more shoes. This upcoming cruise is for 11 days and this time it is 4 of us and 3 are females.:eek::eek::eek:

You need help. Join 'Overpackers Anonymous' and get an overpacking patch immediately:eek:

Or maybe buy that mobile home-sized trunk...:D

That being said...

Rather do a small tip and save the money for airline baggage fees. I am renting from Thrifty and returning car off airport site and they have shuttle service.

If you're returning at their port location, no sweat. Just stop the car in front of the doorway and unload your luggage. The shuttle will stop here to take you to the port, so no need to drag your luggage about anywhere.

You need help. Join 'Overpackers Anonymous' and get an overpacking patch immediately:eek:

Or maybe buy that mobile home-sized trunk...:D

That being said...

If you're returning at their port location, no sweat. Just stop the car in front of the doorway and unload your luggage. The shuttle will stop here to take you to the port, so no need to drag your luggage about anywhere.

Makes sense;)

A little secret for the adventurous and impatient. I disembarked the Navigator on Chistmas Eve in FLL. Plenty of time to catch my flight, but the taxi stand was mobbed. There's a Car Rental Center shuttle to the airport. Nobody in line. Just got on board and transported, free to the airport. The Car Rental Center is remote from the aviation terminals (could walk it easily, but no fun after a late last night on the ship), but there's a circulating shuttle that leaves the rental center for each passenger terminal. Walked inside the car rental center, down two doors, and back outside and boarded the circulator. Couldn't have been easier.

Taxi is better of course, but 35 mile/hr wind and sideways rain severely challenged my patience. Be sure to tip the drivers well.

A little secret for the adventurous and impatient. I disembarked the Navigator on Chistmas Eve in FLL. Plenty of time to catch my flight, but the taxi stand was mobbed. There's a Car Rental Center shuttle to the airport. Nobody in line. Just got on board and transported, free to the airport. The Car Rental Center is remote from the aviation terminals (could walk it easily, but no fun after a late last night on the ship), but there's a circulating shuttle that leaves the rental center for each passenger terminal. Walked inside the car rental center, down two doors, and back outside and boarded the circulator. Couldn't have been easier.

Taxi is better of course, but 35 mile/hr wind and sideways rain severely challenged my patience. Be sure to tip the drivers well.

Let me make sure I understand what you are saying.

1. You boarded a car rental shuttle at the cruise port
  2. Once you arrived at the car rental place you boarded one of the car rental shuttles to the airport.

If that is correct, how much time did that take you? It sounds great as an option if the taxi stands are hectic.