Warning - FLL Rental Car Shuttles to Port Everglades

crusinmama06

As Bequia stated, I was sharing my experience. Personal I thought that the shuttle from the terminal to the Car Rental Center and the shuttle from the Car Rent Center to the port was the best that I have experienced. I would not hestitate to use it again if renting a car. If I was not rented a car, I would not bother to use it even if it was allowed. Taxi for me.

Guess what Lou, your wrong.

Yep, and you're right. It has been a few years since I've been to FLL. Here's a link that talks about all tranportation options for Port Everglades. If I returned my rental, and a shuttle was ready to leave for the port, I might take it. I bet the taxi drivers don't like the new shuttle.

When you think about it, anyone can travel to/from the airport terminal to/from Port Everglades for free, if they don't rent a car and just switch shuttles at the car rental.

I would still just book the cheapest car rental, free shuttle or not. And just take whatever transporation is available. If a free shuttle is ready to go, maybe take it. But if you take a taxi, it will be inexpensive and probably much quicker anyway. A shuttle is not something to worry about.

http://www.broward.org/port/cruise_passengerinfo_transportation.htm

You said port everglades, so you're talking about the cruise terminal, right? Most rental car companies do not have shuttles at the cruise terminal that go to their rental location at the airport. By far, the easiest, quickest way to get to the airport, or airport car rental locations is to just hop in a taxi. The taxis are right there. The airport is very close, and except for a few reports, it is very cheap. Our taxi fair to FLL has always been about $10 plus tip. It's not worth the hassel of waiting for a shuttle.

This is misleading. There is a shared/common shuttle that runs between the airport terminals and the airport car rental terminal. There is also a shared/common shuttle that runs between the airport car rental terminal and the cruise terminals. There is no charge to use either of these shuttles.

I agree with the hassle of using the shuttle between the airport (car rental terminal) and the cruise terminals. Last time I took it we sat in port traffic for 20 minutes because some **** of a bus driver decided to park his vehicle in a traffic lane in front of the Carnival terminal.

every kind of shuttle in Port Everglades whether it is a hotel shuttle, rental car shuttle, transportation shuttles....will come by every 20 minutes. they stop and load at every terminal, then move to the next. They will leave the Port once they are full or have picked up at every terminal.

Taxi's run low between 9:30 and 10:00 because they are recycling back from the airport. (30 minutes...max) 20.00 per taxi.

Edited by cruiseism

I have been driven crazy by the supposedly free shuttle at FLL. One time it never came- turned out it doesn't run until noon. Last time, they denied us boarding because we rented from one of the two companies that don't participate. Meanwhile the Broward County web site plainly stated that there was a shuttle for all. This time- next Sunday- we will pickup the baggage and TAKE A CAB. I don't want my vacation to start with that kind of hassle again.

Edited by webteach

I'm with you webteach, it can certainly be more of a hassle then it's worth.

/////

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! We learned this the hard way yesterday. We rented from the Orlando airport for a few days in Florida, as we made our way to Fort Lauderdale. We dropped the car at the Budget at the Quay shopping center, waited 40 minutes for the shuttle, finally got to the port. Not a big deal at all.

When we dropped the car off I specifically asked 2 questions. 1) Does the shuttle run from the port for car pick ups (answer--yes, it should run by every 20 minutes or so), and 2) We didn't know what time we would be debarking, and had a 9:00 AM rental time-would they cancel our reservation. (answer--no-they realize that cruises are a different situation and would not cancel our reservation.)

We had a fabulous time on the Independence of the Seas, debarked about 10:00AM and called Budget to ask where to wait for the shuttle. Yes, it was running, and would be arriving momentarily, so we went and waited.

Flash forward 45 minutes-no shuttle. I called to be sure we were in the same place. Yes, we were. I asked why it hadn't come by. I was told it was at the port and should be by any minute. OK, we waited.....and waited....

Now it had been about 1 hour and 10 minutes. I called again. Should I just take a cab? No-she asked what ship were we on. I told her. She said she would let the driver know to be sure to go get us. so we waited....and waited....at the 2 hour point I called again. (and I have to say I was very calm and polite-my husband was shocked) I was not so nicely told "Well ma'am-it IS a courtesy shuttle. It starts at the beginning of the port and when it's full, it comes back. It does not alter the terminals so if there are a lot of people at other terminals it will be a long wait." I started to ask why we weren't told this up fromt, but was simply answered with a "click".

With that we hailed a cab and went straight to the hotel (10 minutes away). Good thing, because when we got there I went on line to cancel the reservation. I was not able to though, because my "reservation pick up time had passed" and the reservation had been automatically cancelled. I was so glad we made other arrangements because if I had arrived at Budget by cab and my reservation had been cancelled and no car available, it would have been an ugly scene.

I learned my lesson. Use a rental car that uses the shared shuttle to/from the airport or just take a cab. I was so dissappointed in this Budget location that I wouldn't use them again if they had the only car left in the state. I always rent from Budget, and have never had such a horrible experience.

disclaimer--this was our experience-I hope others have a better one.

I believe Alamo & Thifty are under the same umbrella, my assumption is that National also participates in the shuttle from the airport to the FLL cruiseport?

I would love to take a cab, it would be a little more difficult with all the people we are transporting, hence the minivan I've rented via National.

I have been driven crazy by the supposedly free shuttle at FLL. One time it never came- turned out it doesn't run until noon. Last time, they denied us boarding because we rented from one of the two companies that don't participate. Meanwhile the Broward County web site plainly stated that there was a shuttle for all. This time- next Sunday- we will pickup the baggage and TAKE A CAB. I don't want my vacation to start with that kind of hassle again.

I'm not sure where you got the information that the no-charge shuttle between the FLL car rental terminal and the cruise port doesn't run until noon. I have taken this shuttle several times and always before noon!

In January I checked into Enterprise online and saw a note on their site that said they no longer offer free shuttle service to the port. I also called to confirm with them locally in FLL that this was the case and they indeed confirmed that it was. At that point I didn't care as their rate was 1/3 less than anyone else and thought it would still be a great rate even with the taxi fare to port.

Unfortunately, I didn't book then hoping the rate might drop - it didn't. So now my best rate (which is higher) is with Thrifty or Dollar at the airport. At least now I can get a free shuttle to port if I book with them!

We rented from Alamo at FLL last year and took the free shuttle to the port. First, we swung by the port and dropped our luggage before returning the car. Pretty slick operation. If I had rented a car after debarking the cruise, I wouldn't bother waiting for the rental shuttle, I would just grab a cab. As for people just taking the rental center shuttle for free, the driver asked to see our car reservation.

I will arrive in Tampa, and have reserved a Rental Car..

PRIOR TO OUR CRUISE FROM PORT EVERGLADES/FR LAUDERDAULE

I have been told to:

1. leave at airport in Ft. Launderdale and transfer to hotel, and take a

cab or shuttle to Port Everglades

2. arrive a airport in Tampa, take hotel shuttle to (Westin Airport Tampa)

go back to Tampa Airport in the AM, and drop off at Airport Launderdale, and take a transfer to hotel if offered or shuttle to Port Everglades...

3. Remember, if YOU have a RENT A CAR< you will pay at at WESTIN or a "as like hotel"

about $23 to 30 dollars PER DAY, Valet or not, just to have the parking...

I just paid a RESORT FEE at Westin, Rancho Mirage, Ca. for $ 50.00., and did not have a car....

BEWARE OF HIDDEN CHARGES..

Please reply if you have any suggestions..thanks Jan

All of this is very complecated

Edited by jmdpsca

I will arrive in Tampa, and have reserved a Rental Car..

PRIOR TO OUR CRUISE FROM PORT EVERGLADES/FR LAUDERDAULE

I have been told to:

1. leave at airport in Ft. Launderdale and transfer to hotel, and take a

cab or shuttle to Port Everglades

2. arrive a airport in Tampa, take hotel shuttle to (Westin Airport Tampa)

go back to Tampa Airport in the AM, and drop off at Airport Launderdale, and take a transfer to hotel if offered or shuttle to Port Everglades...

3. Remember, if YOU have a RENT A CAR< you will pay at at WESTIN or a "as like hotel"

about $23 to 30 dollars PER DAY, Valet or not, just to have the parking...

I just paid a RESORT FEE at Westin, Rancho Mirage, Ca. for $ 50.00., and did not have a car....

BEWARE OF HIDDEN CHARGES..

Please reply if you have any suggestions..thanks Jan

All of this is very complecated

Based on our recent experience, I would definitely get from Tampa to Fort Lauderdale the day before. It's a few hours drive. Drop your car at FLL. If your hotel has a shuttle, you can use that, or take a cab. Take a cab or hotel shuttle to the port on the day of your cruise. The other option is to keep your car until departure day of cruise, drop it off at the airport in the AM and take the rental car shuttle to the port (just be sure your rental agency is part of the shared shuttle).

I just returned from a cruise aboard Independence of the Seas, which departed from Port Everglades on 3/1. I arrived at the Airport on 2/28, and rented at the Thrify counter at the rental center(at airport). I asked about a shuttle on 3/1 and was told I could drop the car off at the Thrifty location located outside the port, and a free shuttle would take me to my terminal. The address of the location outside the port is:

2400 MIAMI ROAD

FT LAUDERDALE, FL UNITED STATES 33316

All went smoothly, I dropped off the car at approx. 1pm, and my party of 3, and another party of 3 were dropped off within 15 minutes at our ships terminal. The people were friendly and very helpful, the driver loaded and unloaded all our luggage, Great Service, very happy, and will use them next time for sure!

• 3 weeks later...

How did your car rental experience go?

We are arriving at the FLL airport and want to rent a car to get a few things before heading to the port, ie. (diapers, wipes, etc.) things we don't want to check in our luggage. Any info on local grocery stores/ discount stores would also be helpful.

We would prefer to rent a car at the airport and return at the terminal - but also don't mind if hubby has to drop us all off (me and 4 kids) at the port and then return the car and take a shuttle to the port...

I am still slightly unclear as to those car companies with offices at both the airport and the port. Could someone clarify?

We need a minivan and the best prices I a getting are with Payless Car Rental - anyone have any experiences with them?

:confused:

How did your car rental experience go?

We are arriving at the FLL airport and want to rent a car to get a few things before heading to the port, ie. (diapers, wipes, etc.) things we don't want to check in our luggage. Any info on local grocery stores/ discount stores would also be helpful.

We would prefer to rent a car at the airport and return at the terminal - but also don't mind if hubby has to drop us all off (me and 4 kids) at the port and then return the car and take a shuttle to the port...

I am still slightly unclear as to those car companies with offices at both the airport and the port. Could someone clarify?

We need a minivan and the best prices I a getting are with Payless Car Rental - anyone have any experiences with them?

:confused:

Check Thrifty. Using the Orlando Magic Card corporate code (004M001010), I'm getting a rate of $24 for a compact and $46 for a mini-van in May. Return at the port location and take the free shuttle to your terminal (just tell the van driver which ship you're on).

when i returned my budget car at fll i was told they no longer participate in the free shuttle. i did speak to someone else who said to go and get the free airport shuttle to the pier. i walked to the A terminal i think and there was a bus there that said port . i asked him if this was for car rental people and he said yes but not budget. since he was already taking people to my ship he said to give him some money and he would take me which he did.

Twickenham...thank you for the information...that is by far the lowest priced mini van I have found. My only trouble was I could not figure out how to pick up at the airport and return at the port...I went ahead and made the reservation for FLL pickup with a return to the same location.

I am on the phone, holding for customer service to see what I need to do to return the van at the port.

So just to clarify...when we arrive at the airport we will take a shuttle to the car rental terminals on site, get our car - drive wherever we want :) - then head to the port and return the car at Thrifty's office and take their shuttle to our cruise ship pier?

I appreciate the clarification as I have 4 kids and like to know what we are doing up on arrival so as to avoid un-needed stress!:)

While holding for customer service, I figured it out for myself...this is what I typed for the return location:

FT. LAUDERDALE OFF ARPT, FL,US

Thrifty's rate for a minivan is by far the lowest I have found...thanks again for the tip. My van is now booked...I am so relieved...as we wanted to get our diapers, baby food, wipes, etc. once in Florida to avoid paying extra baggage fees.

Does anyone know if there is a Wal-Mart/Costco/Target close by the airport or piers?:rolleyes:

Twickenham...thank you for the information...that is by far the lowest priced mini van I have found.

The Orlando Magic Card code is the bestest ever. Not only does it save you a chunk of money (it took 75% off our rate in January), it gives you a free second driver.

So just to clarify...when we arrive at the airport we will take a shuttle to the car rental terminals on site, get our car - drive wherever we want :) - then head to the port and return the car at Thrifty's office and take their shuttle to our cruise ship pier?

Yep. They have 2 vans going continuously to the port.

Does anyone know if there is a Wal-Mart/Costco/Target close by the airport or piers?:rolleyes:

The 17th St. Causeway Stores - there's a Publix there I know - are just up the street from the Thrifty rental office. Not sure about Wal-Mart et al, but check the business search function on Google Maps, it's great for stuff like this.

Being from Oregon, I am not familiar with Publix...are they a discount grocery store? Good prices on diapers/wipes, etc.?

I am finding that the Target located at:

300 Hollywood Mall

Hollywood, FL 33021

Looks to be the closest of a Costco, Wal-Mart, or similar.

Mapquest is showing it 6 miles from the car rental pickup.

Thanks again for all the information. It has really helped me.

Being from Oregon, I am not familiar with Publix...are they a discount grocery store? Good prices on diapers/wipes, etc.?.

Regular grocery store. http://www.publix.com/

I am finding that the Target located at:

300 Hollywood Mall

Hollywood, FL 33021

Looks to be the closest of a Costco, Wal-Mart, or similar.

Mapquest is showing it 6 miles from the car rental pickup.

Thanks again for all the information. It has really helped me.

Check out Google Maps: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Discount+Stores&mrt=yp&sll=26.092401,-80.123634&sspn=0.076158,0.109863&ie=UTF8&ll=26.095022,-80.129986&spn=0.072457,0.109863&z=13

It's such a fun toy. Punch in any category of business you want and it shows you where they are on the map. Street view is also great fun - you can actually see places from street level.