?? for those who sailed from San Juan

On our cruises we have enjoyed meeting fellow cruisers from many different countries.

For those of you who have sailed from San Juan, did you find many cruisers who did not speak english? I read a review that commented they had a hard time meeting others who spoke english.

My greatest memories from past cruises are the people we have befriended. I would hesitate to cruise out of SJ if I could not talk to and enjoy the fellow passengers.

For those of you who have departed from SJ can you give me some feed back.

We plan to cruise in August on the AOS

Thank you much,

MC

We have cruised 2x on AOS out of San Juan and will be doing Serenade Seas next month out of San Juan. You will have no problem with the language. There were a lot of folks who spoke both Spanish and English and you will not have any problems enjoying your fellow cruisers.

Enjoy

Steve

You shouldn't have any problem meeting and conversing with passengers on the Adventure of The Seas. We have sailed on her the last 2 years and this is my favorite departure port. We typically arrive 2 days pre-cruise and tour San Juan and stay 1 day post-cruise so we don't have the hassle trying to get to the airport along with everyone else on Sunday trying to get back home. Since we are still in the caribbean it's like extending the cruise. Hope this helped.

90% of the people at least on board speak English. The whole Adventure is a bad ship that is full of rude, non english speakers is a myth.

I totally agree! We've sailed on Adventure twice and many, many other times out of San Juan and I've hardly noticed any difference from any other cruise we've been on......and we've been cruising for almost 24 years! The Adventure is one of our favorites. Have fun!

Thank you so much for your replies.

This will be our first RCCL cruise in many years. We have sailed celebrity for our last 7 cruises. we want to bring our two teen aged daughters for their first cruise. RCCL seems like the way to go, when it comes to teens.

Now its can we afford 4 tickets to SJ!!!!!!!

Mc

I enjoyed AOS in Jan'07 very much and didn't notice a lack of English. But I'm told the passengers can vary depending on time of year, so summertime reviews might give you a more accurate picture than I can.

We cruised on AOS last year out of San Juan. There were certainly Spanish speaking people, but also a lot of people speaking French, Russian, and other languages. Everyone was very, very nice and most people also spoke English. You should have a blast!

Almost all the Puerto Rican locals who sail out of their homeport are as fluent in English as they are in Spanish. Or at least they are capable of carrying on a conversation, if not a dissertation.

As for the rude, the only rudeness I encountered was with a small percentage of drivers in PR. Thankfully I had no problems with anyone behind the wheel of a car while we were on Adventure.

We love sailing out of SJ and are going on Serenade again in April. We don't speak anything but English and have never had any problems with other people and meeting and enjoying getting to know them. In fact, my DH is the type of guy that usually knows half the ship by the time the week is over:D So you won't have any issues. SJ is by far our favorite port to sail from and we love the Southern itineraries.

Sailed AOS this summer out of PR. I too was concerned about this issue. It was a non issue. Until reading your post I had forgotten about it. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton and I would recommend. It is not up to normal Ritz standards but for PR it is the best service you can find. Good Luck

Click on my review link for tons of info and pictures, you'll love the ship, crew and loads of friendly people from a great mix of countries. My shutterfly site has pics from all islands on both routes and loads of the ship.

Archived