To Glacier Bay or Not To Glacier Bay

PastorD2

I am considering an Alaskian cruise with either Carnival Spirit or Coral Princess. One difference between the two trips is Princess includes Glacier Bay and Carnival does not. Carnival does go up and down the Lynn Canal to Skagway but not through the strait of water that takes you by Glacier Bay. The Carnival cruise is cheaper.

So if it were you, would seeing Glacier Bay or not seeing it make a difference in your decision as to which cruise to take? I assume opinions will vary - but I want to hear them. Thanks! ;)

For us, the decision was to Glacier Bay. We will have a whole day of cruising the bay and I have heard such amazing things about the bay. Plus, there will be a park guide on board while we are in the national park area, which is a nice perk.

I was torn, because we could have afforded a balcony on Carnival, but can only afford an Ocean view on HAL. The other plus for us was that the Veendam is a smaller ship and is better able to get in close to the glaciers.

I have done many Alaska cruises and all the glacier areas. Carnival has Sitka which also is a highlight. Both of your choices are excellent in my opinion. College fjords is fantastic, and out of Whittier, you will also have the opportunity to take a Prince William Sound boat tour, which I highly recommend and superior to anything seen from the cruiseship.

If the savings will offer you more tours then that may also be a consideration??

We did the Island Princess our first cruise to Alaska because we were set on seeing Glacier Bay. It was fabulous. This time we are taking Carnival as we would like to see Sitka. You will have to decide what your priorities are and then do what we did - plan to return to Alaska a second time!!

In '99, we cruised from Seward on HAL. We went to Glacier Bay AND Sitka. The trip was fabulous.

In '07, we cruised from Vancouver to Skagway, by way of Tracy Arm Fjord and Juneau. The Twin Sawyer glaciers don't begin to compare to Glacier Bay, in my opinion. We did get close enough to actually see both glaciers, but there was no calving and they just didn't look as huge as the Glaciers in Glacier Bay. But there was a lot of iceburgs in the water, so much so I feared the ship gliding so close to them. I think we sailed through in about 4 hours.

In Glacier Bay, I think we saw about 5 glaciers. And at the end of the Bay, Margarite (sp?) and Pacific glaciers were both magnificent. You hear what sounds like a gunshot, and the ice drops off the face of the glacier into the water, it is awesome. We sat there about an hour and watched the glaciers. We spent the whole day cruising in Glacier Bay.

I don't think I've been to College Fjord, so can't really comment on that location. But Sitka was also an important port for me. I wanted to see the Russian history and early US history for that port. For some reason, it was very important to me to see where the first U.S. flag was raised when the U.S. purchased ALASKA from the Russians. As well as the Raptor center. And it too was awesome!

Whatever you decide, you won't be disappointed. Alaska is the prize here!

Last year I did a B2B on the Coral and did the Glacier Bay and College fjord cruise. Not only did I see it once I saw it twice because of the B2B and in my opinion it was something not to be missed. Spectacular views of both Glacier Bay and College Fjord. You will not be disapointed.

Marilyn

We did a cruise in 2006 that included Glacier Bay. For me it was not the highlight of my trip. I thought other areas were much more beautiful. The highlight of my trip was cruising the inside passage and the train trip out of Skagway. We are going back in June and will be on the Star Princess it does not go to Glacier Bay. I quess you have to decide. I am probably odd, but it looked like a hugh price of dirty ice to me. I said to my husband this is what we came all this way for? He said you are so odd. (LOL) I am also a beach person give me the beach anyday over the mountains. That being said Alaska is beautiful and you will enjoy the trip either way.

Additional info from the OP -

Here are the listed itineraries for the two cruises I am considering:

Coral Princess: Vancouver, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, College Fjord, Whittier

Carnival Spirit: Vancouver, Cruise Inside Passage, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Lynn Canal, Sitka, Prince William Sound, College Fjord, Whittier

Hope this helps some of you who have more experience than I what the pros and cons of each might be!

Thanks again for your input!!

Additional info from the OP -

Here are the listed itineraries for the two cruises I am considering:

Coral Princess: Vancouver, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, College Fjord, Whittier

Carnival Spirit: Vancouver, Cruise Inside Passage, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Lynn Canal, Sitka, Prince William Sound, College Fjord, Whittier

Hope this helps some of you who have more experience than I what the pros and cons of each might be!

Thanks again for your input!!

O.K. the Carnival spriit says cruise Inside Passage and Lynn Canal. That is also on the Coral Princess. They just do not list it. In order to get to Skagway, you have to sail on the Lynn Canal. From Vancouver both ships sailed the Inside Passage. Hope that clears up some questions on what ship to use. Also Prince William Sound is an area that the Coral also sails. It is near College fjord and Whittier.

Marilyn

Another vote for Glacier Bay. The only sight more beautiful the the scenery in the whole bay (not just at the glacier) was the glacier that we landed on on our helicopter glacier landing. We also did the White Pass RR in Skagway, but IMHO Glacier Bay was much more beautiful. However, everything you see on an Alaskan cruise is spectacular.

I asked the same exact question a couple days ago, but didn't get quite the biased response. I ended up booking a balcony on Spirit. Hopefully it wasn't a bad choice, but we are planning to get to Whittier the day before and do a small boat glacier cruise there as Budget Queen is recommending, and also do the Adventure Bound in Tracy Arm, so hopefully that will make up for missing Glacier Bay! :) (here is my thread)

is it possible to drive inland from anchorage and take a small boat day tour of glacier bay?

You will enjoy Tracey Arm....I have done both and prefer Tracey Arm..You see so much more..WE saw Bears, eagles, orcas, humpbacks,seals mountian goats not to mention getting soo close to the front of a glacier you could trow a rock and hit it..:)..I also forgot the huge Icebergs!..The colors were sooo BLUE!..Dont second guess yourself..In my opinion you chose wisely..:)

I solved my issue....I am going back!! We went last year---this year our 2 new "ports" are Glacier Bay and Sitka!! Didn't feel I "really" saw Alaska until I at least did that!! hmmm....what do I do next year?? Land??:D

Last year I did a B2B on the Coral and did the Glacier Bay and College fjord cruise. Not only did I see it once I saw it twice because of the B2B and in my opinion it was something not to be missed. Spectacular views of both Glacier Bay and College Fjord. You will not be disapointed.

Marilyn

This is some of the best advice you are going to get you should take it.

Plus the Coral Princess is an outstanding ship with a great space ratio.

Jack

for the

I solved my issue....I am going back!! We went last year---this year our 2 new "ports" are Glacier Bay and Sitka!! Didn't feel I "really" saw Alaska until I at least did that!! hmmm....what do I do next year?? Land??:D

ABSOLUTELY! The ports and glaciers are only a portion of Alaska. You have to see the interior small towns (Chicken, Tok, Eagle, etc.) to really see that there are folks living in Alaska that are still Pioneers!!! And the Yukon is right there too, with Dawson City, Whitehorse, Carcross, etc.

Plus all the little bergs too little to even remember their names.

I've been traveling Alaska for 15 years with 25 trips. Still have a LOT to see and do. :)

I've been traveling Alaska for 15 years with 25 trips. Still have a LOT to see and do. :)

Oh yes indeed!!! I know I am just beginning :D ... I will work on catching up to you!! I want take it year to year (maybe more?) and do different things every time!! Alaska is addicting!! And, I would have never thought I would ever say that since I grew up in So CA in flip flops!!! By the way, thank you for all of your knowledge and help on these boards---I have used so much of your experience in my planning---Harv&Marv this time!!

Archived