Cococay: Hit or Miss? What are the odds you will get there?

lissaw16

:confused:

I read a lot of posts where people mention having to miss Cococay for weather reasons. It seems to happen often, at all times of the year.

Does anyone have any resources/facts/hard data that list how frequently Cococay is missed, other than personal experience? I would just like to know how often it's really missed, or if the few times it is missed, all those people write about it.

Plus, I'll be pretty irritated if we miss, after convincing my husband that hauling our own snorkeling gear for use on Cococay was a good idea.:D

I read a lot of posts where people mention having to miss Cococay for weather reasons. It seems to happen often, at all times of the year.

Does anyone have any resources/facts/hard data that list how frequently Cococay is missed, other than personal experience? I would just like to know how often it's really missed, or if the few times it is missed, all those people write about it.

Plus, I'll be pretty irritated if we miss, after convincing my husband that hauling our own snorkeling gear for use on Cococay was a good idea.:D

Jan. 22, 2009 cruise we had wonderful weather

Jan. 26, 2009 cruise we had wonderful weather.

Jan. 30, 2009 cruise we missed it to poor weather

Laura

I've got to believe it makes it wayyyyy more often than not. The problem is you're not going to hear the stories about people having a good cruise it hitting all the ports. People are going to talk about the problems they encountered.

I went in October 2007 with no problems and am going again in June. I'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck and have fun!! :D

We have cruised to Cococay three times and were able to go to the island all three times! Lucky for us!! Funny but that was before I was a big fan of Cruise Critic.....so I didn't even know that there was a chance that we could miss that stop due to bad weather....if I had been reading on here before those cruises I would have been worried as you are that we might not make it there because of bad weather!! I guess not knowing was better .....saved me alot of worrying before we got there!! We cruised there in March, April, and September......had beautiful weather each time we were there! We did the wave runner tour there ...that was fun! :) Try not to worry about it and I'm sure you will get there with no problems!! :) That is one of our favorite stops! Have a great cruise!!

We've made it all 5 times we've traveled. On our last trip in October because of weather the captain flip flopped our Coco Cay day and Nassau day, but we made it. Just not on the scheduled day. We've sailed in Feb, July, Sept and Oct.

On the other hand, the only time so far we've been to Labadee, it poured the whole day so we completely missed the island even though we still stopped there.

We missed it this weekend for the first time since 2004. So out of probably at least 10+ times, we have missed it twice. But, when we go in May-Sept, seems like we are always fine. It is going in Jan/Feb that we run into the problems. High winds this weekend caused us to miss. NCL also did not achor up for the same reason.

We've made it 2 of 7 times.

Oct 03-made it

Sept 04-missed

April 05-made it

May 05-Missed

Nov 06-Missed

May 07-Missed

Sept 08-missed

Wow, that's a really crappy average. These are the kinds of stories that I am seeing... missing all times of the year (May (x2), September (x2), November).

2 for 2 and you won't be disappointed you brought your stuff, one of the best snorkeling experiences you can have:

2yzlaw7.jpg

2liiv44.jpg

That's an octopus! Our traveling companions got pics of a lion fish and stingray under the guard tower at the snorkeling beach. Be sure and get an underwater disposable camera. We have an Olympus 771sw but a Kodak disposable is good. Bon Voyage!

We've never missed it as many posters above can attest to as well. An extra helpful nugget of info is that your captain may alter the itinerary to make sure you make Cococay.

The first time we had her on our list of ports was a 5 day out of port canaverl and inclement weather lead our captain to go to Nassau that first day. We ended up getting that whole afternoon, overnight, and whole next day before leaving at midnight!

When we made it to Cococay the weather was perfect and it's still one of my favorite ports of any caribbean itinerary:D

We are about 50% of the 10 times we have sailed Sovereign or Majesty. We have decided, since our last 3 cruises have missed Coco Cay (most recent 12-12-08 sailing on Majesty), that we will not risk spending $1,000 (overall) to miss Coco Cay in the future. We would rather miss Nassau. The crew does a great job in adjusting to a day at sea, but that still does not make up for one of the major reasons we sailed, 'a day at Coco Cay'.

We would hope RCI would build a dock, but that may not be possible. The times we have gotten to Coco Cay, it was great! Very smooth seas, blue water, sunny day. At this point, we will sail itineraries where they can dock at the private island, ie Labadee for RCI, Half Moon Cay for Holland America/Carnival. Not sure of the one for Princess.

Archived