Customs & Immigration, Fort Lauderdale

niborHS

I am going on the Noordam 10 day on Feb 22nd. This will be our 17th cruise, most have left from Ft Lauderdale. Last month I came into Miami on the Century, and something happened that has never happened before, but I read about on the thread. The person checking my customs form at the pier questioned my jewelry. I have a Bulova watch that they do sell on the ship, and diamond wedding bands. I told him that I bought the bands in St Thomas, (we hadn't been there on that ship), and that I had been on 16 cruises. He asked me to turn over my hands, I guess so he could see the scratches on everything, and he let me go. I will have more jewelry with me this time, and most of it has come from the islands. I don't have receipts for any of them, and only my engagement ring is listed separately on my insurance. Not sure what to do, except tell the same story. Has anyone experienced this?

I am going on the Noordam 10 day on Feb 22nd. This will be our 17th cruise, most have left from Ft Lauderdale. Last month I came into Miami on the Century, and something happened that has never happened before, but I read about on the thread. The person checking my customs form at the pier questioned my jewelry. I have a Bulova watch that they do sell on the ship, and diamond wedding bands. I told him that I bought the bands in St Thomas, (we hadn't been there on that ship), and that I had been on 16 cruises. He asked me to turn over my hands, I guess so he could see the scratches on everything, and he let me go. I will have more jewelry with me this time, and most of it has come from the islands. I don't have receipts for any of them, and only my engagement ring is listed separately on my insurance. Not sure what to do, except tell the same story. Has anyone experienced this?

No. When I buy jewelry in the islands I mail the receipts and appraisals home and wear the jewelry. Usually the jewelry store will give you the envelope if not the stamps too. On the next cruise at least you have receipts for the older stuff. Mine came in handy when I had a house breakin. Had all my receipts.

I've not yet been stopped, but I'm a macho guy and wear very little jewelry. :p

In all seriosity, it's good to hear about at least one government employee who is doing his job.

One trick I've heard of, if you don't have receipts or insurance for your valuables, is to photograph them, before you leave, on top of your hometown newpaper. Make sure that the name of the paper and the date are clearly visible.

That should prove that you owned the merchandise prior to the cruise.

You can also visit the customs office at your local airport and register your valuables. You must take them with you. They will give you a form to fill out with descriptions of the items. Just keep this form with you when you cruise. If you are questioned, just show them the form and you're home free.

Paul

You can also visit the customs office at your local airport and register your valuables. You must take them with you. They will give you a form to fill out with descriptions of the items. Just keep this form with you when you cruise. If you are questioned, just show them the form and you're home free.

Paul

Customs will register only items which have serial numbers, such as cameras, laptops, some watches. I do not believe Customs will register non-serial-numbered jewelry unless (and I'm guessing here) there is some unique marking, such as an engraved inscription like "to loopie with all my love".

We had no problems when we came back from our Noordam cruise. I always carry my receipts (or insurance information) with me, but I have never been asked. I also take a picture of my jewelry prior to leaving. :)

We had such a good time on our Noordam cruise. Here's the menu and a link to pictures and the daily program.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=18101476&posted=1#post18101476

We had that happen to us in December when we came back from a 14 day cruise.

We told the officer that we took it with us and did not buy it during the trip and the conversation ended there.

Remember that if you purchase expendive jewlery on the ship the customs people get a list of passangers that have made large purchases and they will check if you claimed them on your customs declarations.

They must finally be getting wise to the idea of buying jewelery there and wearing it home and not declaring it.

Ruth & Jim

I guess I have a criminal mind. You take the newspaper with you and take the picture when you purchase the jewelry. Not a feasible idea unless they catch the price tag in the picture.:) i guess I would have to take the picture in front of my house with the hometown newspaper.

I guess I have a criminal mind. You take the newspaper with you and take the picture when you purchase the jewelry. Not a feasible idea unless they catch the price tag in the picture.:) i guess I would have to take the picture in front of my house with the hometown newspaper.

Agreed. I understand that the posters who photograph their jewelry with a dated newspaper are on the up-and-up ... however, I'm sure there are some looking to game the system, and what you suggest would be an ideal way to do so.

A friend of mine got off the ship in Fort Lauderdale after a 10-day cruise and the customs agent next to the one she was checking through must have been bored ... the woman leaned over and asked to see my friend's Coach purse!

My friend said she handed it to the agent, who looked it over and remarked that she'd never seen that particular style.

My friend told her that the purse was 2 years old and a gift from her daughter. The agent handed it back to her.

I wonder if the agent thought it was a knock-off? My friend would not have had a receipt -- it was a gift -- but I am sure the purse showed a little wear and tear after 2 years!

Those Customs agents are well trained to spot folks trying to get something by. On our first cruise years ago I spent just a little over the limit and did not want to bother with filling out the paperwork involved, so I just declared a bit below the maximum.

The agent looked through most of the papers I had in my carryon (it was alot since it was a business/pleasure trip) and luckily she did not find the receipts. I vowed there and then never to get too cute with Customs in the future - not worth it.

Thanks for all your opinions. Really just wanted to know if it happened to anyone else. They have to smarten up to the fact that you can get a better buy on a watch from bluedial.com than on the ship. My jewelry all looks worn enough to not be brand new, so I am not going to worry about it. I would rather wear them than pack in my carryon. My mother-in-law once had a lot of jewelry stolen out of a carryon. I don't consider the things I wear flashy, because I am not that kind of person and am just so used to wearing them. Most of my things came from Dynasty in the Havensight mall in St. Thomas, and the diamond in my engagement ring is 37 years old. Between Dynasty and Amex, I am sure they could really figure it out if they wanted to.

By the way, twinkeltoes, I am glad you had a great time on the Noordam. I checked your photos out. It looks like the Deluxe suite is identical to the one we had on the Oosterdam. My only concern is that we are next to the elevator, so hope it is not too noisy. Seeing as we booked a Deluxe guarantee, I am happy with what we got.

Archived