Any Virginia cruisers?

Frassy

We are heading out on 5/21, but we are going out of Norfolk. We live in Northern Virginia and have gone out of both Norfolk and Baltimore in the past.

We have good friends who live int he Tampa area, so we get down to that area a good bit, but never been on a cruise out of Tampa before.

The only reason I don't go out of Norfolk, is because the 5 day cruise to W Caribbean does not go out of there. OTHERWISE, it would be so much easier instead of flying to Tampa. I like real close to Norfolk.

I do not go out of Norfolk because not a great choice of newer, bigger ships, and the itineraries are not that greatest. With that big new terminal and the area in general you would think we could rate some nice, new cruise ships occasionally in that area !

Frassy - I understand. I would like to do a Western Caribbean route at some point too, which probably means a cruise out of Florida. Back in 2003 when we did our honeymoon cruise out of Baltimore, Celebrity also had a 10 day Western Caribbean. But lately I have only seen Eastern, Bermuda or Bahamas out of Baltimore and Norfolk. We were really tempted by the Grandeur repositioning cruise in the fall that starts in Baltimore and ends in Tampa, but it just didn't work out for us. So we are doing the 9 day out of Norfolk instead.

I think we are even going to be on the same ship as you will be out of Tampa. If memory serves, it is the Grandeur that goes out of Tampa too, right?

jennybabee - I think in the case of the Grandeur they don't have a bigger ship because it splits time with Baltimore. I have heard that Baltimore has a height restriction due to the Key bridge. But no height restrictions in Norfolk, so hopefully they will get some of the bigger ships in there soon.

HI Jannam,

To be honest with you, I am not sure what other ships go out of Tampa. This is my first cruise and it's all new to me. I thought we'd start off with just a 5 day for now....will probably be booking a 7-10 day next. lol

It would be nice if we had others go out of NOrfolk, though. How convenient that would be.

We're going out of NYC. Love to try Norfolk or Baltimore, but you can only take Nassau so many times by ship, LOL. We're flying to Nassau in the fall to stay at Atlantis, which is entirely different. I wish they would extend their range of ports out of those cities.

Yea, not having a port stop in Nassau was one of the selling points of our 9-day out of Norfolk in May. Been there on both of our other cruises and it's not on my list of places I'd like to revisit. Unless, of course, we were actually staying at Atlantis like you guys will be. That would be a totally different story.

Way to go Waterfreedom. I'm sure ya'll will have a blast. WHere are you headed to?

Hi Frassy,

It would be great if there were better itens out of Norfolk.

I have been to Nassau and Freeport and really don't want to go again.

Carnival Glory is doing some sailings out of Norfolk but of course...Nassau and Freeport.

Maybe something can be done to convince the cruiselines to sail more often.

HAL was doing longer sailings but on smaller ships.

So for the time being I have to sail from Florida.

My wife and I cruised out of Norfolk on one of the Carnival three day cruises to nowhere. The Cruise was fine, but the embarking was awful. It was a hot day in October and we were not allowed to wait inside the terminal. Hundreds of us had to wait outside in the 86F with our luggage and no shade. When we questioned what little help there was we were told it was because of security. When we finally got to the security area(1 and a half hours later) they were more efficient than any swecurity I've been through lately. I saw no reason for us to have to wait like that with a brand new terminal EMPTY right there.

Maybe it has changed since then but my experience was awful.

I'm also cruising out of Norfolk on May 7th. Have cruised many times from this port and LOVE IT! Although the selection is limited, it sure is a relaxing vacation when you have the port right in your home area. I wish more locals would support Norfolk so we would get more ships in the future!

I'm also cruising out of Norfolk on May 7th. Have cruised many times from this port and LOVE IT! Although the selection is limited, it sure is a relaxing vacation when you have the port right in your home area. I wish more locals would support Norfolk so we would get more ships in the future!

Hi - We're also on your cruise. Have you joined the roll call for May 7th yet?

Hi all,

New to Norfolk, cruising & these boards :) Will be sailing out of Norfolk's port Oct 26 on the Carnival Triumph for my first cruise. Wish me luck! Im so excited but it was depressing to see my count down clock still well over 200 days :( Any tips/tricks/info a first time cruiser would find helpful - please advise!

My wife and I have been on only three cruises so far, but we are certainly going to keep cruising as long as we are able to. Hint - Pack lightly, relax try to see as much of the ship as you can (I discovered some cool areas that were not high profile) and just have fun.

We're VA cruisers too. We're going on the dream 1/23/2010 out of

Port Canaveral. We were going to go on the pride, but we've been on it already, and were looking forward to a warmer cruise.

Hoping to cruise out of baltimore next time. :)

Archived