Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

Looking for hotel suggestion and heard some will keep your car and deliver you to the pier and pick you up at the end of the cruise. Do you know of any? Thanks

Hi everyone! Wanted to start a board to be able to help people who are comming to my town. Figured the best thing to do was post this and take it from here.

I am a Bayonne New Jersey Resident and I love cruising. I'm sure others out there have a million questions that they cant find answers to, and I'm willing to help.

So ask away and i'll find out the answers for you and post them here.

Happy sailing!

Please check out Meg's blog http://mojitomegcapeliberty.blogspot.com/

Country Inns offers parking and cruise transportation. However, you have to price it out against other park/fly hotels that do not offer cruise transfers. The Country Inns web site will quote for a room with parking or a room with cruise transfers, but not all three. You have to call them directly to get a price. How long a cruise are you contemplating from Cape Liberty and what dates are you looking at? Are you more than 2 people? The Country Inns price with cruise transfers is for 2 people.

Give us more details and we will help you evaluate the options.

I appologize in advance if this info is somewhere else in this thread. We will be driving up (I-95)from NC on Oct. 14th to cruise out of Bayonne on Oct. 15th and are considering the Econolodge near the airport. (853 Spring St.)

We have a free room available & don't care if it's a "fancy" room, we just want clean, safe & reasonbly priced. When I checked the price it is very reasonable. (more money for the cruise KWIM) There are 5 of us total, so this price would work well for them too. Can someone tell me about this area? Thanks for any information & thank you all for this very informative thread.

Please look at Tripadvisor for reviews of this hotel. I will look elsewhere for you. What is your budget?

I would like to keep it at around $75 ...at least under $100.

I'll check out Tripadvisor. Thanks :)

OK...checked out Tripadvisor and WOW...folks didn't care for the Econo Lodge at all.

We don't mind staying further away....even an hour south if the prices are good & the hotels are safe, clean etc.

Unfortunately, Newark is a very urban area and you get what you pay for (or don't pay for). I was just about to recommend the Holiday Inn where I stayed in April with my husband, my son, my daughter and her baby and 3 year old. However, I looked at Tripadvisor and was surprised to see that the current reviews are bad for HI, but IMO the reviews for Econoldge are awful. Maybe everyone hates staying in Newark. Anyway, here's my thread from April - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=966351.

I would still recommend the Holiday Inn. For Oct 14 the "best" rate is $69, the AAA rate is $65.55 and the senior rate is $62.10. There is a $15 parking fee. You have to understand that this is an airport hotel - people from other parts of the country who have been traveling and are tired and cranky are coming and going at all hours of the day and night. It appears popular with flight crews. You will not get "southern hospitality" from the folks behind the desk. If the room has not yet been cleaned, then I do expect that another room will be offered. None of those bad experiences happened to us - we called ahead and had them block out a room. It was clean and no - the windows didn't open and we didn't expect them to.

If you really want to stay at Econolodge, then look at the Econolodge in Carlstadt NJ. This is up in the Meadowlands - my guess no more than 10 miles further - but the reviews on this motel are actually quite good. It is a similar price to the one in Newark. If you want to use your free room, I would go there. Don't start off your wonderful cruise vacation by staying the the Newark Econolodge.

Y'all need to SKIP anything called Econolodge in these parts...

It looked really yucky and it is tucked away by another hotel and some other crappy looking stuff (i was up that-a-way a few weeks ago and I saw it while on the van on the way back from the Renaissance....)

The country inn newark elizabeth by jersey gardens mall (off exit 13A of the NJ turnpike) is 116.20 for the night in a room with 2 queen beds.....(plus taxes-139.50 total).....this hotel is right next to a ruby tuesday and opposite an outlet mall.

your rates will be higher as this is a midweek stay....

the spring hill suites is 110.00 for AAA [125ish with tax] (not really near anything, but fairly new and safe.....you'd have to go out or order in-my preference-for dinner...

and Carol (138east) gave you rates for the holiday inn...lots of people stay there......i was going to check it out, but i ran out of time when i was up that way a couple weeks back....(spent too much time waiting for shuttles, and going to hoboken but i digress)

really....skip econolodge, best western, days inn and the wyndham garden and HoJos...and Ramada. FOr some reason, these brands are pretty bad around here......(and NEVER stay in ANYTHING called a motor lodge in NJ!)

Since the OP has a car, you can probably bid Priceline or even use Hotwire to get a hotel for $100 or less in Jersey City, Secaucus, or many other areas BESIDES the airport. I personally would stay in Secaucus, as I like the area much better than around the airport.

I just put in the date-October 14- for Secaucus. 2 rooms, 4 adults, one child. $74.00 per night per room for a 3.5 star hotel in Secaucus. That would be the Sheraton or Crowne Plaza, possibly the Renaissance. VERY good hotels for the money. Good neighborhood, outlet malls and restaurants all around.

I wouldn't look twice before booking those hotels. Just grab the price and be VERY pleased you got such a bargain, especially mid week.

Since the OP has a car, you can probably bid Priceline or even use Hotwire to get a hotel for $100 or less in Jersey City, Secaucus, or many other areas BESIDES the airport. I personally would stay in Secaucus, as I like the area much better than around the airport.

I just put in the date-October 14- for Secaucus. 2 rooms, 4 adults, one child. $74.00 per night per room for a 3.5 star hotel in Secaucus. That would be the Sheraton or Crowne Plaza, possibly the Renaissance. VERY good hotels for the money. Good neighborhood, outlet malls and restaurants all around.

I wouldn't look twice before booking those hotels. Just grab the price and be VERY pleased you got such a bargain, especially mid week.

Here's one I found that seems MUCH better and gets good reviews on TripAdvisor. Crown Plaza Newark Airport, 901 Spring Street, Elizabeth, NJ 07201. It looks like the best rates are around $75 per room. Is this in a better neighborhood?

Also....someone mentioned that hotels CHARGE to park at night? Did I understand that correct? Or....was that for leaving the van there for the duration of the cruise? We will be driving to the port and paying the for parking there.

Thanks again to all of you for your help. I'll check out Secaucus as well. :)

Here's one I found that seems MUCH better and gets good reviews on TripAdvisor. Crown Plaza Newark Airport, 901 Spring Street, Elizabeth, NJ 07201. It looks like the best rates are around $75 per room. Is this in a better neighborhood?

Also....someone mentioned that hotels CHARGE to park at night? Did I understand that correct? Or....was that for leaving the van there for the duration of the cruise? We will be driving to the port and paying the for parking there.

Thanks again to all of you for your help. I'll check out Secaucus as well. :)

While the Crowne Plaza Airport is a better hotel, it is still on Spring St and still around the airport. Heavy traffic congestion and unless you get in your car, there are NO places within walking distance that are SAFE to walk to at night.

Yes, most of the airport hotels charge to park overnight. Otherwise, everyone getting on a plane would just park at the airport hotels when they fly. Lots of other hotels in the area charge to park, although the Sheraton in Secaucus does not.

While the Crowne Plaza Airport is a better hotel, it is still on Spring St and still around the airport. Heavy traffic congestion and unless you get in your car, there are NO places within walking distance that are SAFE to walk to at night.

Yes, most of the airport hotels charge to park overnight. Otherwise, everyone getting on a plane would just park at the airport hotels when they fly. Lots of other hotels in the area charge to park, although the Sheraton in Secaucus does not.

Thanks Greatam. I'll keep searching. It probably would be a good idea for us to stay somewhere that's not SO congested. We are considering stopping an hour south of Bayonne (on I-95N) and just driving in around 11:00 on the day we sail.

I had actually checked the Crowne Plaza before I recommended the Holiday Inn. Parking at the Crowne Plaza is $23, which makes the Holiday Inn's $15 look liek a deal. Anyway - on to Plan B - staying an hour south. I actually have a lot of experience with the hotels near exits 8 and 8a on the turnpike. I grew up in the general area and my mother still lives there. When I travel with other family members, we are always looking for the cheapest accommodations in the area. Look at the Days Inn in East Windsor, NJ. It's right at exit 8 - I was looking at their rates which were $71.40/$79.90 and they just went up $10. Hotels.com (through Kayak.com) is still showing the original rate which is for one queen or 2 doubles. It's a regular Days Inn - clean, nothing fancy with a light breakfast. It does not have a restaurant, but I could make some recommendations for you. There is also a 3* hotel in the area for $79 on hotwire - I don't know what it is, but it could be the Crowne Plaza in Jamesburg/Cranbury. Whatever it is, at 3*'s, it will be OK. It's just under an hour from this area to Bayonne - an easy drive to the port. Leave at 10 am to be there by 11 am.

Greatam's suggestion about Secaucus is good as well. The Sheraton looks lovely. The only problem I have with it is that it is about 20 minutes and 12 miles beyond where you need to go - a few more bucks in gas and tolls.

there are a couple places in jamesburg/cranbury that are OK...but i just wonder if there are some places that are either out of the way or icky....carol's got family over that-a-way so she would know better than me..( i am only 20 minutes from tehre, but i don't get there much!)

there are a ocuple palces in Edison off the turnpike that are OK too..there is a Courtyard by marriott that's easy to get into....

again, hotwire may be a good idea, as you're midweek which will cost more!

OT..hi greatam! guess you are still ducking?!?! :p or are you out of there?

I live in the Cranbury area (East Windsor). Any 3* should be fine...none I know of are very far from Exit 8 or 8A.

My sister has stayed at the Days Inn near Exit 8 and had no complaints. If someone wants a full breakfast, the Prestige Diner is literally a minute away on eastbound Rt. 33.

njhorseman - do you have any other restaurant recommendations? I go crazy trying to decide on places with Mom because our tastes are so different. I've not been to the Prestige Diner, but we like the two diners on Rte 130 - the Clairmont and the Americana. I see that the Day's Inn has Basil's - I never even noticed it because we never hang out at the motel. What do you think is the best Chinese food? I take out from a place in the strip mall with the Dollar Store and Burlington Coat factory. We've been to Theo's - not our thing. Charlie Brown's is too busy for us.

njhorseman - do you have any other restaurant recommendations? I go crazy trying to decide on places with Mom because our tastes are so different. I've not been to the Prestige Diner, but we like the two diners on Rte 130 - the Clairmont and the Americana. I see that the Day's Inn has Basil's - I never even noticed it because we never hang out at the motel. What do you think is the best Chinese food? I take out from a place in the strip mall with the Dollar Store and Burlington Coat factory. We've been to Theo's - not our thing. Charlie Brown's is too busy for us.

Funny you should mention Charlie Browns...I just walked in the door after having lunch there. $6.99 (with coupon) for salad bar plus a side dish...we both chose coconut shrimp...darn good value for a pretty good meal. Being semi-retired we can often eat lunch rather than dinner at restaurants. Great values and no crowds.

Basil's at the Day's Inn reportedly has good lamb chops. We've never eaten there.

The Prestige Diner, just down the road from the Day's Inn, has very good roast chicken. I also order the chicken pot pie there.

We eat at the Americana, but stopped going to the Clairmont after management refused to do anything about a problem I had with a meal.

We often eat at what appears to be an unlikely spot...the Hightstown Diner on Rt 33 (Mercer St) in Hightstown, across the street from the Post Office. It's a classic hole-in-the-wall small town "greasy spoon" diner, but it has some good $7.95 lunch specials and $12.95 dinner specials that change daily. If you want to eat dinner there it better be early because they close at 8 pm. It was actually featured in a spot on Guy Fieri's "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives" show on the Food Network for its breakfast offerings, especially its corned beef hash. I've never tried the hash but my wife has and says it's too spicy for her taste.

The Chinese food in the area has gone down the tubes. Between restaurants changing ownership, changing chefs, and closing, we no longer eat at any of the area restaurants...and we used to eat Chinese food quite often.

If you like Indian food, Masti on Rt 130 south, in the Super Fresh and Staples shopping center (Across the street from Clairmont) isn't bad. Also the Japanese resturant in that center is also OK, although I stopped going because I felt they rushed the customers through their meals.

For something a half step above a diner, we like City Streets, which is on Rt 130 south in a shopping center adjacent to McDonald's. It is a noisy sports bar type place but has a glass enclosed dining room behind the bar area.

If you drive about 20 minutes south of East Windsor on Rt 130, you'll encounter Mastoris in Bordentown. It is a huge diner/restaurant, and rightfully considered one of the best in the state. We go there for the $11.95 lunch specials...soup or salad, entree and vegetable, beverage, and a selection from their dessert tray, which can have some pretty fabulous baked goods. Their fish...wild (not farm raised) salmon, orange roughy, and tilapia are usually available at lunch...is as good or better than you get at seafood restaurants in the area.

We also drive a few minutes west to Princeton. Lots of restaurant choices there...and a nice town to visit and walk in.

We went to the Clairmont a couple times....last time it wasn't so great....

Americana is good but pricey.

mastoris is good (and pricey) BUT you get huge portions....oh yeah and i am a sucker for the cinnamon bread...............

where is the Prestige?? on 33??? (or whatever it's called??) is it a kind of smallish place on the right if you're coming from hightstown going towards freehold????

(i live by lambertville, but we go all over ot eat!):p

Prestige is on Rt 33 eastbound...the right hand side of the road when driving from Hightstown to Freehold. The entrance is just past a Shell gas station. The sign just says "Diner"...with no name. It is freestanding building in front of (or maybe in back of depending on your perspective) the Twin Rivers shopping center. As I mentioned, I find their chicken dishes to be particularly good. Most items are pretty standard NJ diner fare.

Anyway - on to Plan B - staying an hour south. I actually have a lot of experience with the hotels near exits 8 and 8a on the turnpike. I grew up in the general area and my mother still lives there. When I travel with other family members, we are always looking for the cheapest accommodations in the area. Look at the Days Inn in East Windsor, NJ. It's right at exit 8 - I was looking at their rates which were $71.40/$79.90 and they just went up $10. Hotels.com (through Kayak.com) is still showing the original rate which is for one queen or 2 doubles. It's a regular Days Inn - clean, nothing fancy with a light breakfast. It does not have a restaurant, but I could make some recommendations for you. There is also a 3* hotel in the area for $79 on hotwire - I don't know what it is, but it could be the Crowne Plaza in Jamesburg/Cranbury. Whatever it is, at 3*'s, it will be OK. It's just under an hour from this area to Bayonne - an easy drive to the port. Leave at 10 am to be there by 11 am

Plan B it is. I have looked at your suggestions & I think this will work nicely for us. One of the hotels you listed should work out fine. I really appreciate everyones help with this & thanks NJhorseman for the restaurant tips as well. :)

Glad you have a plan now. I think you will be satisfied with it, particularly after a long drive from North Carolina. No sense in finishing off your day trying to navigate the northern part of the NJ turnpike to find a hotel at night in Newark or Secaucus where one wrong turn might put you some place you don't want to be. Just go onto Mapquest and print out a map of the Hightstown area. In addition to Charlie Brown's, there is a TGI Friday's on Rte 130 North just beyond the Americana diner at the ShopRite plaza. ShopRite is a good place to stop for any last minute things before the cruise - you won't easily find places near the pier.

OT..hi greatam! guess you are still ducking?!?! :p or are you out of there?

I landed in Kabul a few hours ago. Here, I AM ducking. First 15 minutes off the plane-don't know whether it was rockets or bombs but BIG kabooms. Hope they finish processing pretty soon. I have been up for almost 48 hours and got little sleep on the military transport, with 86 Special Forces guys and 22 other government contractors, all making a lot of noise. We ALL have to be processed before we can go to sleep.

I live in the Cranbury area (East Windsor). Any 3* should be fine...none I know of are very far from Exit 8 or 8A.

My sister has stayed at the Days Inn near Exit 8 and had no complaints. If someone wants a full breakfast, the Prestige Diner is literally a minute away on eastbound Rt. 33.

I am getting married in Cranbury this month.

Archived