FOR LSIMON - FanTaSea St. Kitts Excursion ???

BurgerBits

Hi, Larry -

Have noticed several of your posts stating how much you enjoyed the FanTaSea excursion. We've booked it (4 adults, 3 children ages 7 - 13) for our St. Kitts' stop with Solstice week after next.

If you don't mind, would you fill me in on the following...?

1. Security concerns - will we be able to leave cameras, cash, etc. in our beach bags both on the snorkel platform and the beach afterwards with no worries, or do you recommend that a member of our party stay with our belongings?

2. Towels - am assuming we can get beach towels from either the pool or our room stewards. We will be bringing hats, sunscreen, and T-shirts to wear while snorkeling/swimming. When we return, do you recommend we put our used towels in the pool 'used' bins, or return them to our stewards?

3. Beach barbecue - have you encountered any unusual/uncomfortable issues with beach vendors at this function?

Thanks so much!!!

Dawn

Hi, Larry - Dawn you do ont know me but i did this in JaN

Have noticed several of your posts stating how much you enjoyed the FanTaSea excursion. We've booked it (4 adults, 3 children ages 7 - 13) for our St. Kitts' stop with Solstice week after next.

If you don't mind, would you fill me in on the following...?

1. Security concerns - will we be able to leave cameras, cash, etc. in our beach bags both on the snorkel platform and the beach afterwards with no worries, or do you recommend that a member of our party stay with our belongings? we all left everyone but maybe the camera on the first stop- mud baths. I dido nt take my camera with me. when snorkeling everyoen left everything on the boat.

2. Towels - am assuming we can get beach towels from either the pool or our room stewards. We will be bringing hats, sunscreen, and T-shirts to wear while snorkeling/swimming. When we return, do you recommend we put our used towels in the pool 'used' bins, or return them to our stewards? room steward. he needs them back.

3. Beach barbecue - have you encountered any unusual/uncomfortable issues with beach vendors at this function? No beach vendors as we ate o n the boat.

Thanks so much!!!

Dawn

since the hurricane the boat does not go top nevis. we had an hour on cockelshell beach. i brought water and a towel with me. i tend to trust people who run the snorkel boat. as far a beach on my own I take some money and so far so good when I am swimming. I rarely take my camera to a beach as in most cases I have been before.

Thanks, Robin! Interesting - the =X= excursion description still states that the excursion includes a trip to Nevis and a barbecue lunch on the beach.

Cockleshell Beach is not one of my favorites, but I would still prefer to eat there than on the catamaran...

thanks so much for replying to my post!!! I focused on Larry as I know he has enjoyed this particular trip a few times and highly recommends it.

Dawn

I expect the excursion to be a bit different this year since it will not be going to the beach on Nevis, which was pretty secluded, and lunch will be on the boat, not on the beach.

Take "beach" not pool towels from the ship. Ask your steward. These are larger and nicer than pool towels. If you want an extra one just ask. These need to be returned to your room. We shake out the sand before leaving the beach and drop the towels on the cabin floor near the door for the room steward to exchange them for clean ones for the next port of call. Supposedly they track these and charge for lost ones not turned back.

I have no problems leaving the camera on the boat - I'd have second thoughts about leaving it on the beach unless you'll keep it in sight. Of course leaving it on the boat when you go to the beach is counter -productive as you'd want it for pictures there. Despite the fact that I do this often at other beaches while swimming I'm never crazy about the idea and no one would ever "recommend" leaving valuables on the beach. I've never had a problem....yet. Better yet get a marine case, or waterproof case, for your camera and take it along with you!!

I keep all my cash with me in a small waterproof case - google "witz case" I use their smaller one which easily carries 5 plastic cards (2 ship, 2 drivers license and one credit) with plenty of bills wrapped around them. Occasionally the money gets damp but no one has ever refused it even when wet. I do leave a few singles handy hidden in my beach bag - I'm less concerned about losing $5 or $10 than all the other stuff.

On Nevis there were never any beach vendors at all. I've never been to a St Kitts beach.

Feet - like many catamaran rides this is a bare foot cruise. They will collect shoes and store them for you when you board. I do recommend you carry some waterproof sandals, or cheap flip-flops, in your beach bag and carry it asore with you. Our biggest problem on this excursion has been walking around on the hot sand without any foot protection!! (yea-life is tough!!)

Enjoy the trip - we'll do the Fan-ta-sea for the 4th time (over 6 years) on March 31 during our Constellation 3/27/09 sailing. Be sure to enjoy the wonderful rum punch and enjoy the party on the sail back. If you like great rum punch then this wouldn't be a good day to plan on going to the specialty restaurant in the evening! Also - enjoy the party and the crew on the way back.

Larry, THANKS so much!!!

Will definitely tell my brother and his family to buy/bring cheap-o flip flops for Cockleshell.

Good to know that the beach towels are different than the pool towels!! :)

Have searched in vain for a true waterproof case for my/our cameras, so we'll make sure someone stays with them.

One additional question... do you happen to know if underwater digital cameras are available to RENT for this trip? This will be a big family snorkel and I'd love to get some shots of that...

Thanks again - and enjoy your 'Ultimate' cruise!!!

Dawn

...One additional question... do you happen to know if underwater digital cameras are available to RENT for this trip? This will be a big family snorkel and I'd love to get some shots of that...

Never heard of that except for maybe at an occasional dive shop, for example on Grand Cayman, and then only for a very short term rental. Consider buying a late model camera and a marine case for it on eBay to make a good waterproof set - if you hunt you can find some good deals. In a pinch you can buy a waterproof disposable film camera for $10 + processing and just have the images put on a disk or scanned.

I keep all my cash with me in a small waterproof case - google "witz case" I use their smaller one which easily carries 5 plastic cards (2 ship, 2 drivers license and one credit) with plenty of bills wrapped around them. it asore with you.

... and thanks. I've been a 'witz' case fan for years, used to bareboat charter sail all over the place and those babies are invaluable!!!

Dawn

I emailed the company that runs one of the two catamarans used for this excursion today and they indicated that they've started going back to Nevis for lunch but that the beach there is still a bit beat up. I imagine a lot of the beachfront trees and such are gone but that it would still be a nice trip.

Let us know about your trip when you return.

I emailed the company that runs one of the two catamarans used for this excursion today and they indicated that they've started going back to Nevis for lunch but that the beach there is still a bit beat up. I imagine a lot of the beachfront trees and such are gone but that it would still be a nice trip.

Let us know about your trip when you return.

Oh, thanks so much!!!

Will be sure to provide a full report!!

Dawn

wow, I am jealous. I never been to Nevis. This was my 3d time in St Kitts and my first snorkel trip. I have no plans for next year yet. lunch was good but i had better on snorkel boats. maybe I will try it again next year.

i dido nt take my flop flops to the beach. not sure if anyone did in my group and i walked all over. Guess in Jan the sand is not hot.

I just put my cash in a ziplock bag. had enough for a tip and a CC for town. I had about 30 minutes to shop afterwards.. good thing i know my way around the island.

We are planning to do the Catamaran Fan-Ta-Sea on March 11th when we are on our Galaxy cruise. We did the same excursion, but to Nevis, last year when on the Galaxy and it was so much fun. We ended up booking this excursion 15 minutes before it left after our kayak excursion was canceled last minute leaving with us very few options. Fortunately, Fan-Ta-Sea was still available. It turned out to be a highlight of the cruise.

Since some of the operators are starting to go back to Nevis, do you think it is possible our March 11th excursion will go there? Or because Celebrity is already planning on Cockelshell Beach, that is where we will most likely go? The description for our excursion reads that it sails past Nevis but stops at Cockelshell Beach. Sure would like to go back to Nevis again.

Ellbon: How was Cockelshell Beach? I've read mixed reviews on it. Was your lunch at Cockelshell Beach or on the catamaran?

Kathy

We did this excursion in December while we were on the Solstice. Nevis took quite a hit from a hurricane and that's why the Fan-Ta-Sea is going to Cockleshell Beach. Would be great if it returns to Nevis- it looks like it could be beautiful if it's cleaned up. The lunch was served on the Fan-Ta-Sea between the snorkling and Cockleshell Beach. I saw no vendors on the beach. Make sure you stay to the left of the pier when you come onto the beach. On the right side of the pier is a small drink/refreshment hut, but the water has lots of large rocks-on the left you will have not trouble getting in the water.I really didn't see anyone with flip-flops on board, it was no problem walking on the beach. If you like to collect shells make sure you have a zip loc bag in case you still stop at Cockleshell beach- there were lots the day we were there. Really, the only money you will need is for tips. The crew was fantastic- so much fun. Try to get onto the netting in the front of the cat.-we had a blast! But BEWARE the rum punch. Luckily they don't start serving it until after snorkling, because ALOT of people REALLY enjoyed it and were weaving there way back to the Solstice once we returned!:):p:confused::eek: Have fun! Ann

Hello, Ed and Jacque! . did you have your 10-yr-old with you on this snorkel trip? My nephews are geeked about it!!

Warm regards,

Dawn

Yes, he snorkels with us just about every time. He loves it. :)

Thank you so much for all the responses!! It's good to know to bring bags for shells (I wouldn't have thought of that until it was too late... :rolleyes:), and what side of the pier to 'bunk' on - by the way, is that left of the pier when looking at the beach from the boat, or at the boat from the beach :)? Will also consider the FujiFilm disposable camera (Fuji is my camera maker of choice, but I've never had good luck with disposable underwater ones of any make...).

Have heard so many good things about this excursion and am really looking forward to it!! Leaving for FL one week from today (and no, I haven't begun to pack... or sort... or anything).

Dawn

When we did the excursion, the Fan-Ta-Sea pulled up to the beach and we got out and into very shallow water to walk on to the beach. When you look at the beach while getting off the cat, it is the area on the left. You'll see the short pier and rocks to your right. You'll figure it out pretty quick if you get on the wrong side- it is very rocky. This was our 8th cruise on Celebrity and we really loved the Solstice. I truely believe that a cruise is what you make it- if you go in looking for issues, you will no doubt find some. But, BOY are we all lucky to be able to cruise!!! Have fun and enjoy your cruise!:) Ann

We are planning to do the Catamaran Fan-Ta-Sea on March 11th when we are on our Galaxy cruise. We did the same excursion, but to Nevis, last year when on the Galaxy and it was so much fun. We ended up booking this excursion 15 minutes before it left after our kayak excursion was canceled last minute leaving with us very few options. Fortunately, Fan-Ta-Sea was still available. It turned out to be a highlight of the cruise.

Since some of the operators are starting to go back to Nevis, do you think it is possible our March 11th excursion will go there? Or because Celebrity is already planning on Cockelshell Beach, that is where we will most likely go? The description for our excursion reads that it sails past Nevis but stops at Cockelshell Beach. Sure would like to go back to Nevis again.

Ellbon: How was Cockelshell Beach? I've read mixed reviews on it. Was your lunch at Cockelshell Beach or on the catamaran?

Kathy

I have been to the beach twice. I had lunch there last year as part of a land tour. The beach and water was ok. I did ont rent a chair ofr an hour we had but othes might have or just walked.

as others wrote we had lunch on the boat. the food was good but not what we call BBQ. it is already cooked and tasted ok. i do ont get ecited about lunch on snorkel boats. I had bettr and some not as good.

Next year when I am back in St Kitts I will either redo this tour to see Nevis or just relax on the ship. the snorkeling was very good. bring some bread to feed the fish and they will be all over you.

:D:D

not big on peas. .they like peas??

have fun for me - dana

Oh, the fish go NUTS for frozen peas, LOLOL! I spent many, many years bareboat charter sailing (leasing a sailboat on which we lived for a few weeks and sailed all around ourselves), most of it in the Caribbean.

Frozen peas are wonderful to bring when snorkeling. They float up when you release them, and the fish dive and run to snap them up; they're also better for the fish than eating bread, and they're so colorful that they're fun if you're taking underwater photos. It's a blast!!

Dawn

Oh, the fish go NUTS for frozen peas, LOLOL! I spent many, many years bareboat charter sailing (leasing a sailboat on which we lived for a few weeks and sailed all around ourselves), most of it in the Caribbean.

Frozen peas are wonderful to bring when snorkeling. They float up when you release them, and the fish dive and run to snap them up; they're also better for the fish than eating bread, and they're so colorful that they're fun if you're taking underwater photos. It's a blast!!

Dawn

We were in the Pacific, off Hawaii, and a little bread "happened" to fall into the water (DH kind of 'dropped it'); we were on a boat sponsored by the greenpeacers and they raised a little more than their eyebrows...apparently this "contaminates the water and we shouldn't be feeding the fish anyway". So with knuckles rapped, we don't feed the fish anymore when snorkeling.

Dawn

Dawn

if i could figure away to get peas for breakfast i would do it. But since i have been given fish food and bread I know i can get one off the ship. wish we wre sailing together. i always enjoy your posts.

Archived