My Experience Eating Lunch in the Dining Room at Embarkation Aboard the Sapphire

Sailfish

I totally agree.On Star last week,thy insisted that the dining room was for intransit passengers only.I politely disagreed and showed the headwaiter the Princess news release.He then stated that not all new changes were implemented fleetwide and did not know what to say when I showed him the release date of Jan 2008.He then seated us and no one else entered during our meal.I then saw them turning await other passengers.

Oh, he knew what he wanted to say all right but bit his tongue for fear of a bad right up. The same reasoning holds true for people not dressed "properly" in the dr's. It's just easier for them not to have to fight with determined passengers.

I hope that we can do lunch in the MDR on the Emerald in October but we are arriving on embarkation day around 11:00am so by the time we grab our luggage, get down to the pier, board, etc, I hope we will make it in time.

Does anyone know the cut off time? I think one of the previous responses said 1:00pm?

Thanks!

I hope that we can do lunch in the MDR on the Emerald in October but we are arriving on embarkation day around 11:00am so by the time we grab our luggage, get down to the pier, board, etc, I hope we will make it in time.

Does anyone know the cut off time? I think one of the previous responses said 1:00pm?

Thanks!

No problem getting lunch that day on the Emerald. It is even listed in the Patter.

The lunch dining room (deck 6 Atrium) is open from Noon-1:30 PM.

Oh, he knew what he wanted to say all right but bit his tongue for fear of a bad right up. The same reasoning holds true for people not dressed "properly" in the dr's. It's just easier for them not to have to fight with determined passengers.

Poor comparison!Not being properly dresses is an infraction of the Princess rules while asking for a service that is advertised and paid for is not!

Poor comparison!Not being properly dresses is an infraction of the Princess rules while asking for a service that is advertised and paid for is not!

Infraction of a rule or not, the Maitre D' simply doesn't want a confrontation & will usually look the other way if at all possible rather than infuriate any passenger to submit a poor review about some fabricated excuse. After all, "the customer is always right".

You had better print the document in order to "force" the waiters to serve you.

Infraction of a rule or not, the Maitre D' simply doesn't want a confrontation & will usually look the other way if at all possible rather than infuriate any passenger to submit a poor review about some fabricated excuse. After all, "the customer is always right".

The dining room advertised as being open on embarkation day is not a "fabricated excuse". I would report them if they refused to serve me. Princess made the decision to offer the dining room service. I am asking for what was advertised by the cruise line.

The main reason for going to the dining room is to avoid the crowds in Horizon Court. The lines are long and it is hard to find a place to sit down. I only go to the dining room when I cruise with my folks who are both in their 70's. It is hard for them to deal with Horizon Court. My Dad prefers a relaxing and quiet start to his cruise. Lunch in the dining room is far more enjoyable.

The dining room advertised as being open on embarkation day is not a "fabricated excuse". I would report them if they refused to serve me. Princess made the decision to offer the dining room service. I am asking for what was advertised by the cruise line.

The main reason for going to the dining room is to avoid the crowds in Horizon Court. The lines are long and it is hard to find a place to sit down. I only go to the dining room when I cruise with my folks who are both in their 70's. It is hard for them to deal with Horizon Court. My Dad prefers a relaxing and quiet start to his cruise. Lunch in the dining room is far more enjoyable.

Enjoy your lunch. :p

Hi All,

Thought I would check out the patters for my last two cruises,

first says Horizon Court or Hamburger Grill open for lunch

other says Horizon Court and Cafe Carbie open for Lunch

as to the comments about the hambrger grill they are cooked to order just the way you ask them to.

yours Shogun

I'm new to Princess and am surprised this is an issue. I would do anything I could to avoid the chaos of the buffet on any ship on embarkation day. Now, I think we'll have lunch before we board. It does seem weird that they don't open their dining room on that day.

On our last trip on the Grand we went to the DR which appeared to be open - they tried to send us to the HC - then asked if we were returning customers (I guesss with over 20 Princess cruises we were) so we said yes and they let us in. What he meant was were we in transit or B2B.

Anyway I wrote a comment card to the maitre de and he met with us the very next day and apologized all over the place and stated that, yes one DR is supposed to be open on all ships and sent us a bottle of wine.

Ron

You know, we are on vacation and we just don't want to hassle with anyone. If a dining room is open and they are accepting people for lunch - great. If not then I figure there is a reason and I am not going to push the issue or lie to get in. Imagine sitting there for lunch after "insisting" and knowing how the staff feel about you. No thanks. The buffet is just fine.

We had a similar experience on the Golden last week. We were initially told no by the person at the door, but when I explained that the purser had sent us to the dining room, she relented and seated us (this entire transaction lasted maybe 20 seconds). The wait staff and maitre'd were both wonderful and accomidating. It was just the person at the door. I would hate to have her job! (I personally think that she is discouraged from seating people, at the same time people are requesting seats.) In the end there were only four tables that were utilized during the meal. The food and service were great.

BTW- the Patter said "Donatello Dining Room- Fiesta Deck 6- Open sitting lunch: Noon to 1:30"

You know, we are on vacation and we just don't want to hassle with anyone. If a dining room is open and they are accepting people for lunch - great. If not then I figure there is a reason and I am not going to push the issue or lie to get in. Imagine sitting there for lunch after "insisting" and knowing how the staff feel about you. No thanks. The buffet is just fine.

It is true that some people have a mobility problem & having a sit down lunch on embarkation day is of great benefit but as long as I'm able bodied I'll give the staff a break & eat at the Horizon. There's to much to do to waste over an hour eating in the dr so why not give the staff a little break. After all , it's only one meal.

I have never seen a Maitre D' man the DR podium at lunch and rarely at dinner.You are dealing with Head Waiters who are often not told of,or forget changes.I also don't believe I am forcing someone to perform a service advertised and paid for.I am only asking for what I am entitled!

I have never seen a Maitre D' man the DR podium at lunch and rarely at dinner.You are dealing with Head Waiters who are often not told of,or forget changes.I also don't believe I am forcing someone to perform a service advertised and paid for.I am only asking for what I am entitled!

He is usually at the podium in the Traditional DR. :)

It is true that some people have a mobility problem & having a sit down lunch on embarkation day is of great benefit but as long as I'm able bodied I'll give the staff a break & eat at the Horizon. There's to much to do to waste over an hour eating in the dr so why not give the staff a little break. After all , it's only one meal.

Doesn't make any difference - it is a published Princess policy. I don't feel it is right to not follow policy. We abide by all other Princess policies, why not this one?

Ron

Doesn't make any difference - it is a published Princess policy. I don't feel it is right to not follow policy. We abide by all other Princess policies, why not this one?

Ron

Ron

You're absolutely correct. It's a published policy & they should have to abide by it no matter what or how busy they are.

As for myself, until they have the doors wide open & are seating everyone who comes along without trying to steer them towards the buffet, I'll give them a little break & eat at the Horizon. It's one thing to go to an open DR to have lunch when they're seating people & another thing altogether to pry open the doors & ask to be fed with a printed article in one hand demanding you rights.

Archived