How safe are the room safes?

klepton

Hi guys, first time cruiser sailing on 3/1. Super excited!

I have a question though. I've heard from some that you shouldn't ever leave anything valuable in the room safes. If that's the case, I'm not sure what they're there for. I've used room safes before at resorts and never had issues, but I've heard that employees all have keys to the room safes anyway so all you're doing is putting all your valuable stuff in one location for them.

Just curious what all your thoughts were.

Thanks!

Nathan

First of all, not ALL employees have the keys to the safes. Only management has the keys to the safes. This is also true in a hotel or a resort. I have been on twelve cruises and I use the safes all the time, and I don't have anything missing. That includes valuables that I have left out in the open - not in the safe.

It depends what you going to put in the safe....

If ti is just passports and money, and some jewelry - do not worry about it.

If it is something very urreplasable - do not bring it with you. Like on any other type of vacation. Hotel, plane, sruise.

I have heard rare problems(stuff left is safes, things missing) But they are extremely rare. If its something that is irreplaceable leave it at home.

Just to get this in perspective, I'd think the cabin safes could be safer than a house left unoccupied whilst the owners are on a cruise ....

Nothing is truly irreplaceable in the sense that life will probably continue without it; but if it's some thing you value very highly, leave it in a bank safety deposit box.

I've never had a problem leaving anything in the room safes. When I read the "horror stories" about "stewards (or other staff) stealing from the room safe"...once the story gets picked apart, it seems like the person actually lost/mislaid the item (or the money), and is blaming someone else.

DO make sure that the safe is closed and locked before you leave the room -- the one we had on the Jewel on our last cruise was a bit tricky; we had to hold it closed and then push the "lock" button for it to fully engage -- and you shouldn't have any problem.

We've left valuable stuff (cameras, cell phone, money) out in the open and never had it disturbed, either.

One problem with a room safe. If you lock it with a key pad number, do it very slowly. IF you make a mistake, by putting in a wrong number, only that number will open it!! Security might have to open it.

I'm afraid that I did just that once.:eek::eek::eek:

john

Archived