cabins - differences between categories within categories

feedmytummy

hi, all - never been on a cruise before, so i was wondering what the difference was between the different "categories within categories"... meaning, what is the difference between a balcony 8A or balcony 8B, 8F, etc? i'm planning on cruising with carnival. i've looked on their website that shows cabin dimensions and there doesn't seem to be any difference between them. is it location? also, what are the chances the cruise line will move you even after you have booked and selected a specific cabin?

hi, all - never been on a cruise before, so i was wondering what the difference was between the different "categories within categories"... meaning, what is the difference between a balcony 8A or balcony 8B, 8F, etc? i'm planning on cruising with carnival. i've looked on their website that shows cabin dimensions and there doesn't seem to be any difference between them. is it location? also, what are the chances the cruise line will move you even after you have booked and selected a specific cabin?

The difference is location. We've never been moved after selecting a specific cabin, but I hear that it does happen.

On some cabins, an 'extended balcony' may be listed in the 8G, H or I category vs an 8A etc... :)

We love the aft and the larger balcony.. Those are usually the 'extended', category... I believe there are some on the lower deck that are 8C! :D

It's confusing.. You can go to www.cruisestateroom.com for more info..:p

I just got an 8B on Carnival with an extended balcony. I was very excited about that one.

What cabin is an extended balcony for a cat B?

(its a honeymoon cruise and sounds like your agent is taking advantage of you.)

Most all balconies are narrow. On the Dream the only "real" extended balconies are the one across the back of the ship and i think they are G

As others have said, location determines price. The higher decks are more expensive than the lower decks and mid-ship is more expensive than either the front or rear of the ship. For balcony cabins, one of the reasons the higher decks are more expensive is that you do not get sprayed by the sea. We recently said on the Island Princess and had a balcony cabin on the lowest deck they were available. Every day the rail of the balcony was covered with a thick layer of sea salt. Those who had balconies on the higher decks did not experience this.

One thing to consider is whether or not you are prone to sea-sickness. If so, try to get a cabin on a lower deck and one in the middle of the ship. The upper decks, especially at the front or rear of the ship experience the most motion. Think of a playground see-saw. The middle experiences very little motion, while both ends experience tons of motion.

• 1 year later...

Our first cruise, we had a regular balcony, and it was fine for the two of us. We ate breakfasts on our balcony, and sat and read, or whatever, when we were at sea. Totally loved it! On our last cruise, we spent a fair amount extra to get a premium balcony - 9C - which wrapped around the aft port corner on the upper deck. It was amazing! The room was larger than the standard rooms, and the deck was HUGE! Compared to the suite balconies others in our party had, we had probably twice the balcony space. Our grown daughters, son and DIL and grandbaby spent a lot of time on our balcony and it never felt crowded. For those circumstances, it was well worth the extra $$$.

Our next cruise, (Eastern Caribbean aboard the Destiny in December) we were lucky enough to find an extended balcony. Same price as a regular balcony, but twice the deck space. We are booking an interior cabin across the hall for our three youngest kids, so hoping this balcony will be enough for the five of us.

Is there anything more fun than a cruise? I think not!

Our next cruise, (Eastern Caribbean aboard the Destiny in December) we were lucky enough to find an extended balcony. Same price as a regular balcony, but twice the deck space. We are booking an interior cabin across the hall for our three youngest kids, so hoping this balcony will be enough for the five of us.

Is there anything more fun than a cruise? I think not!

2498147650062547426hYwqZI_th.jpg

no way will you get 5 of you on the balcony. If looking for balcony space for all of you- see if you can upgrade to the corner aft.

Archived