Katakolon Train Schedule

Below is the website for the trains, also can pull up a map

http://www.olympia-greece.org/katakolon-train-bus.html And here's the info I got from the CC boards and Trip Adv...The train station is at the end of the shopping parade in Katakolon, approximately 200 yards from the port gates. If your ship has moored at the longest pier, 15 minutes probably allows sufficient time to walk to and from the station.

A combined admission ticket for the archeological site AND the archeological museum costs 9 Euros (cheaper than separate tickets for the archeological site and museum, which cost 6 Euros each). Pay a total of 12 Euros per person for travel and admission, which is much cheaper than the equivalent ship's tour ( for our ship in May - $76 per person).

When you travel to Olympia independently, you won't have a professional guided tour. There are English signs around the site. Furthermore, the Greek Department of Culture publishes an excellent map and leaflet, which explains you everything you need to know. (Ask for a copy the free map and leaflet, when you purchase admission tickets.)

It's not far to go from the ship to Olympia. As I recall, the train in Olympia is not very close to the ruins. Why not consider renting a car near the pier.

Sorry but I disagree, having done this trip myself. The walk to the ruins at Olympia is about 10 minutes max.

chrismch is spot on

Thanks!!! That's what I was looking for! How many hours do you figure it would take to explore the site plus transportation time??

My very subjective response: as avid history/archaeology people, we spent almost 2-1/2 hours at the excellent museum and just over an hour touring the actual site plus 40 minutes driving to Olympia from Katakolon and 30 minutes driving back. (We obeyed the speed limit going but got fed up with everyone zipping by us on the way back and joined the massive civil disobedience!:))

So, for normal people, an hour of driving time plus three hours total at Olympia should be enough.

Archived