Are you First class or Steerage?

I am booked in my first JS on the EX out of Bayonne. I thought JS also received priority boarding but the article at the top of the thread does not list it as such. Anyone know for sure? I was pretty certain that a JS did receive priority boarding...

Yes, you may use the priority boarding area for a JS out of Bayonne - have done it four times.

My guess is that the Gold seapass cards will mean about as much as Gold credit cards, with the only practical effect being quick ID to get into the suites-only section at the pool/shows.

We can only hope you are right but there is going to be a suspicion that special treatment will be extended to gold card holders throughout the ship and anyone who does not feel that they are being treated well will attribute it to the fact that their card is not gold.

When gold credit cards were first issued, holders did note that they were treated specially by vendors. Only after they proliferated did they lose their special mystique. The problem in this instance is that the number of gold cards will be limited by the number of suites on the ship and won't become as commonplace as gold credit cards.

Most of the staff you encounter during a cruise works for tips.

So-if you're not in a suite-you'll get bad service from your attendant.?

When you order a drink at the bar-do you think the server cares if the card is gold or not.

Your dining room staff would be unhappy if your card is not gold hence lower the service in the DR?

I think this will not effect anything but some reserved chairs around the ship.

I believe weather you are in an inside cabin or Royal suite-RC will still dazzle with the impecable service thay always do no matter who or where you lay your hat at night.

I wouldn't say you will get "bad" service but the very fact that the line has singled out certain passengers by color coding their seapass cards can have a subtle effect on the staff who are working onboard the ship. The gold cards signify that the person is "special" and that can be interpreted by the crew who, while they work for tips, also work to please their employers, to mean that "special attention" is to be given to those passengers. :o

I don't care if they come into your suite and do your nails for you. I don't care what else they give their suite guests as long as it does not take away something from me that I used to get included in my cruise.

For example: reserved seating. I see both sides of the arguement as far as reserved seating goes. This COULD POSSIBLY take something away from the non-suite guests (a chance to sit front row).. BUT.. in reality, I think it will not be a real issue to lose any sleep over as it really won't chance my cruise experience at all.

So... keep giving them suite guests all the perks in the world to keep them cruising so that my balcony can remain relatively inexpensive. But, just don't ever cross the line of taking stuff away from me that I used to get to the point where I will actually notice it.

I don't mind the perks of the suits, however I think saving chairs for them is a little over the top. Perhaps if I saw people actually using those chairs, I might feel differently! But those seats are ALWAYS empty!!!

I agree. That's the only item about which I take issue as well. They were nearly ALWAYS empty on our cruise as well. And there were NO other empty chairs on sea days.

Not a biggie. We had some warning that this would be starting in March (we discussed it on our Indy roll call). So I tried to pay attention to the perks that they had already rolled out. The "Gold" sea pass cards for suite guests, yep, they've already started. And those in a JS have silver cards. The rest of the steerage are white cards. :p (It may be different for D or D+, I didn't get a chance to ask)

I had a GS on Freedom and a JS Aft on Indy. I preferred the JS on Indy, hands down. So I have no desire to spend the money and get a fruit tray. I can get my own fruit. :D

Those in a suite can have the CL and pool chairs. I'll keep my money. :D

Are they making the concierge lounge exclusively for suite guests?

Will it come to a struggle of the loyal repeat cruisers (some not necessarily inclined to book suites) against the suite gold card folks (who may or may not be loyals)...RCI will have to tread carefully not to offend their loyal budget conscious platinum, diamond & diamond plus base by absconding with too much of what had always been common space (you know the space shared by ALL the cruisers).

I almost always exclusively sail in a JS - we had one on our first cruise and never looked back.

I'm booked in a GS for my Adventure cruise this weekend (got an awesome price) and I am curious to see if having a Gold seapass makes any difference.. Honestly, for me I could care less. I have always found the service on RCI excellent and I don't think it will be any different if I have a Gold seapass card.

I know there are folks on here who disagree with the reserved pool side seating for suite guests, but it is one perk I would really, really like. I am not a chair hog, and I am one of those people who heads out to the pool deck on a sea day at 7am to get a seat and actually sit on it all day! Once in a while it would be nice to sleep in on a sea day and not feel compelled to rush out there so early to get my seat in the sun. I know this perk will not be available to me on the AOS next week, but it just may make me consider another GS on future cruises.

Happy sailing to all - First Class AND steerage. If the ship goes down, it don't matter what class you're in!!! :p:p Kidding!!!!!!! safe travels to all of us!!!!

Not a biggie. We had some warning that this would be starting in March (we discussed it on our Indy roll call). So I tried to pay attention to the perks that they had already rolled out. The "Gold" sea pass cards for suite guests, yep, they've already started. And those in a JS have silver cards. The rest of the steerage are white cards. :p (It may be different for D or D+, I didn't get a chance to ask)

I had a GS on Freedom and a JS Aft on Indy. I preferred the JS on Indy, hands down. So I have no desire to spend the money and get a fruit tray. I can get my own fruit. :D

Those in a suite can have the CL and pool chairs. I'll keep my money. :D

Amen to this. I'll save money and not get a suite. The extra room in the cabin I don't plan on spending a lot of time in, doesn't really matter to me. And if RCI can make those in suites happier to spend more on a suite, by reserving a lounge chair by the pool and seats for them at a show, I don't mind.

I'll use the savings for excursions and other extras.

Will it come to a struggle of the loyal repeat cruisers (some not necessarily inclined to book suites) against the suite gold card folks (who may or may not be loyals)...RCI will have to tread carefully not to offend their loyal budget conscious platinum, diamond & diamond plus base by absconding with too much of what had always been common space (you know the space shared by ALL the cruisers).

I can't wait to see some of the Diamond Plus passengers on board when they do not receive a "gold" SeaPass card. That will be fun to watch. Have you ever encountered some of these people in the concierge lounge? They think that they own the world. Would not want to be a concierge.:eek:

My problem with the new perks for the suite guests is that it just exasperates a problem that already exists. Until RCCL starts enforcing their own rules and properly policing the pool areas for "chair hogs" they should not be further limiting the available seating for us "law abiding steerage" passengers. The same goes for the theater seating. I am not sure if there are any other "suite perks" that would impact me.

I can't wait to see some of the Diamond Plus passengers on board when they do not receive a "gold" SeaPass card. That will be fun to watch. Have you ever encountered some of these people in the concierge lounge? They think that they own the world. Would not want to be a concierge.:eek:

The same can be said of some suite passengers. They are the ones who cannot say two sentences without dropping in the fact that they are in a suite. Unfortunately insufferable boors exist at all levels and they are neither confined to Diamond, Diamond plus guests or those who have booked a suite. Encouraging some sort of internecine warfare by pitting suite passengers against diamonds is rather petty and foolish and says something about those who would do so.:rolleyes:

disclaimer... the below is just speculation on my part

We can only hope you are right but there is going to be a suspicion that special treatment will be extended to gold card holders throughout the ship and anyone who does not feel that they are being treated well will attribute it to the fact that their card is not gold.

When gold credit cards were first issued, holders did note that they were treated specially by vendors. Only after they proliferated did they lose their special mystique. The problem in this instance is that the number of gold cards will be limited by the number of suites on the ship and won't become as commonplace as gold credit cards.

If gold seapasses are rare maybe that makes them a status symbol someone would pay for. I wouldn't pay for a pretty colored seapass, but if it makes my cabin cheaper what the hey. :)

I wouldn't say you will get "bad" service but the very fact that the line has singled out certain passengers by color coding their seapass cards can have a subtle effect on the staff who are working onboard the ship. The gold cards signify that the person is "special" and that can be interpreted by the crew who, while they work for tips, also work to please their employers, to mean that "special attention" is to be given to those passengers. :o

I'm guessing you'd have to go up the food chain a couple levels before finding staff who'd have the inclination to deliver better service to suite passengers. Line employees service differential incentive would be to prevent a problem from getting to that level. e.g. avoid major disagreements with suite pax. Dunno how likely this would be. Anyone have experience on this from other lines?

Actually this Gold/Silver/White card stuff may backfire.

Some (not all) Suite passengers feel that they own the worl aspecially with the distinct difference in card color now.

Last cruise on the Grandeur a funny thing happened in the Schooner Bar.

We were sitting at a table with the Schooner Bar pretty full. Some couple came in looking for a table. They pulled over a waitress, slung their gold card out and said "we are suite passengers as you can see. We would like to have a table now."

The waitress looked at them like they are from another planet. She said very friendly "well if you can find a table go right ahead. It is an unhosted venue."

So, the guy said firmly "did you not hear what I said. We are suite passengers.." flung his card in the air and continued "we should have priority and we want a table".

She looked at the card and said nicely "it is really nice that you are a suite passenger but I could contradict your argument that you also have no status. I will not kick a diamond or diamond plus member off their table just for a suite guest."

The couple left steaming.

We talked about it and she told us staff does not like this kind of visual distinction at all. Before it was just a take the card and slide it. Now people expect better service. She also told me that within most staff a repeat cruiser will always be above anything for them regardless of the color of the card and the bottom line is that all cruisers should receive Gold Anchor service. She also said that it might intimidate the newer staff but people like her who is for 8 years with RCI it just pulls a smile.

She also noted that most suite passengers are good about it and really do not make a big deal about it.

She told us the next day that the couple complained at customer relations. But they sided with her.

Unfortunately society is all about "store front" without caring what's inside.

A card distinction between suites, junior seats and the rest of the passengers is such a store front. It may satisfy those who need to show everybody "hey look I am in a suite" but it really does not say anything about their character, behavior and/or treatment of staff.

If on my next cruise I see one of those roped of areas and I see a handful of 'suite passengers' in there I'll play a joke on them and will grab me 30 'normal' passengers, we'll turn our pool loungers around, sit in front of them and will just stare at those 'suities' for the next two hours.

Because that's what they want: attention. Attention they shall get. LMAO.

In the mean time I find this whole thing funny as hell.....

:D

I actually find it amusing that there are currently two threads going on and already it is easy to see where they could possibly go! :eek:

Two magazines posted an article about RCCL enhanced suite amenities-that's all. Nothing is being taken a way from passengers. Just because a suite guest will have a gold sea pass card does not mean all will still have the same vacation they went on the last time they sailed RC. Heck-I don't have time to be looking at the color of Sea pass cards. I'm trying to party like there is no tomorrow!!!:p

Already-we have the phrase-'suite snobs'. Not fair. I've seen really bad behavior while on a cruise and I have no idea where they hung their jacket!!

I stayed in a suite once. Took an entire year to save for it. I'd hate to be labeled a snob after all that work it took my husband and myself to do to treat ourselves and boys!

I'm sorry to say-the pool chairs were a great idea. I've read thread after thread on chair hogs. This is true and on a Sea Day sometimes it is impossible to find a chair. My husband and I are up early and I have seen with my own eyes-many folks doing the towell and book thing at 6AM. I personally feel-for the price of some of these suites-those guests should have a chair.

I am steerage:)I havent booked a suite and dont plan on it...the extra $ just isnt worth it to us...we dont spend enough time in the cabins and the extra $ isnt worth the perks...but as always, just my opinion...

I would have to agree with you cruiserbryce. My wife & I are only in our cabin for the essentials.

I'm sorry to say-the pool chairs were a great idea. I've read thread after thread on chair hogs. This is true and on a Sea Day sometimes it is impossible to find a chair. My husband and I are up early and I have seen with my own eyes-many folks doing the towell and book thing at 6AM. I personally feel-for the price of some of these suites-those guests should have a chair.

I happen to think that regardless of how much anyone paid for their stateroom they should have a chair and the simple solution is to enforce the policy against chair hogs, rather than "hog" chairs for one category of guests who may or may not use them. :rolleyes: We sometimes, but not always book suites but I believe I am entitled to a chair by the pool regardless of what category I booked or how much I paid.

I don't even know you but your statement is exactly a statement of a storefront and a typical "I am better than you..." battle.

I have encountered all kinds of people on cruises; suite passengers, inside deck 2, gold members, no status, diamond, diamond plus....

I have yet to sling around my status or my cabin selection because it just simply doesn't matter. The behavior you describe about D and DP members I have observed too but I also observed that type of "I own the world attitude" from suite passengers.

The loyalty status gives me certain perks based on the C & A program. I do not feel entitled to more. I want to be treated in a bar just like a new cruisers. If the waitress wishes to give me more personal service so be it as long as the couple first time cruisers on the next table are being put off.

As a suite passenger you have certain perks which are written down as well. Beyond that you are not entitled to anything else. In a bar you should be treated just like the person on deck 2.

I happen to think that regardless of how much anyone paid for their stateroom they should have a chair and the simple solution is to enforce the policy against chair hogs, rather than "hog" chairs for one category of guests who may or may not use them. :rolleyes: We sometimes, but not always book suites but I believe I am entitled to a chair by the pool regardless of what category I booked or how much I paid.

I'm sorry, but you can't post this here. It just makes too much sense. :)

Archived