Mumbai Elephanta Caves

sunnies

In November, we hired a private guide for two days and had a wonderful time in Mumbai. On our second day, we met our guide and driver at 9AM and got on one of the first boats to Elephanta. The long climb up was best while we were fresh and not crowded in the caves. I highly recommend using a private guide. We were a group of four and had a great time in Mumbai.

That should be OK, but I would be a little worried about the traffic to get back to the ship. Probably best to take a ship's excursion for that one. Be aware, the climb up to the caves is reasonably steep, although the locals will take you on a cart, carried on the shoulders of four men, for a fee.

If you have the time, a visit to Gandhi's house is very interesting - there is a great Jain temple on the way.

That should be OK, but I would be a little worried about the traffic to get back to the ship. Probably best to take a ship's excursion for that one. Be aware, the climb up to the caves is reasonably steep, although the locals will take you on a cart, carried on the shoulders of four men, for a fee.

If you have the time, a visit to Gandhi's house is very interesting - there is a great Jain temple on the way.

Thanks for the advice, I'm getting very excited about our trip!

Lesley, Just to let you know, we had to present ourselves to immigration when arriving in Mumbai. Once you are cleared, you can go ashore. We found it to be a quick process, but we had 450 pax onboard.

I agree with Benite. If you only have one day in Mumbai, I'd take the ship's excursion to Elephanta.

Mumbai is a fascinating city. I hope you enjoy it. Be prepared for lots of people, some poor conditions and beggars. It's all a part of the city.

I have done a little research regarding the Elephanta Caves. The first ferry leaves at 9 am from the Gateway of India. You will arrive about 10.15 am and there is a ferry returning at 1 pm which should be sufficient time to look around. There are deluxe ferries which are slightly more expensive. The boat cost is about 120 rupee, an extra 10 rupee for the top deck and 250 rupee entrance fee. You can hire a guide if you wish when you arrive.

Lesley, Just to let you know, we had to present ourselves to immigration when arriving in Mumbai. Once you are cleared, you can go ashore. We found it to be a quick process, but we had 450 pax onboard.

I agree with Benite. If you only have one day in Mumbai, I'd take the ship's excursion to Elephanta.

Mumbai is a fascinating city. I hope you enjoy it. Be prepared for lots of people, some poor conditions and beggars. It's all a part of the city.

Hi we also will be on a cruise ship in Mumbai can you tell me how far it is from the cruise ship to get the boat to elephanta island? Also how far is it to town? We don't mind walking. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks

mountaintop,

You get the ferry at the Gateway to India across from the Taj Mahal Hotel. We went early in the morning and it didn't take us too long to get there from the dock. The ferry ride over to Elephanta Island is a little over 1 hour. From the dock to the beginning of the steps, you can take the train, though I've not sure of the cost. Not much I would say. Then you walk up the steps, that are steep to the caves.

There is so much more to see in Mumbai itself. If you only have one day, I would suggest you get a private guide and see the city. Suggestions: Dobi Ghats, Victoria Terminus, a Jain Temple, Mani Bhavan Gandhi Museum, and if you are adventurous, have a thali lunch. We found private guides very reasonable in Mumbai.

mountaintop,

You get the ferry at the Gateway to India across from the Taj Mahal Hotel. We went early in the morning and it didn't take us too long to get there from the dock. The ferry ride over to Elephanta Island is a little over 1 hour. From the dock to the beginning of the steps, you can take the train, though I've not sure of the cost. Not much I would say. Then you walk up the steps, that are steep to the caves.

There is so much more to see in Mumbai itself. If you only have one day, I would suggest you get a private guide and see the city. Suggestions: Dobi Ghats, Victoria Terminus, a Jain Temple, Mani Bhavan Gandhi Museum, and if you are adventurous, have a thali lunch. We found private guides very reasonable in Mumbai.

Thanks so much for the great info. Did you walk or take a taxi from the cruise ship to the Gateway of India? Can you please tell me who you used for your private tour we will be there for 2 days.

Thanks Again

• 1 month later...
In November, we hired a private guide for two days and had a wonderful time in Mumbai. On our second day, we met our guide and driver at 9AM and got on one of the first boats to Elephanta. The long climb up was best while we were fresh and not crowded in the caves. I highly recommend using a private guide. We were a group of four and had a great time in Mumbai.

Hi there NCCruzQueen

A query about your time in Mumbai -- DId you use a guide / private tour there?

We will be there in May for 1 day and could use any advice for a good tour

DId you get hassled by the beggars?

Thanks

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You may want to skip the ride back to the ship. Some of the sights are within easy walking distance of where the boats to Elephanta Island start/end. The Taj Mahal Hotel is right across the street. We were there last fall and they we still renovating it to repair the damage done in the terrorist attack in November 2008

You may want to skip the ride back to the ship. Some of the sights are within easy walking distance of where the boats to Elephanta Island start/end. The Taj Mahal Hotel is right across the street. We were there last fall and they we still renovating it to repair the damage done in the terrorist attack in November 2008

Thanks Paul. Does this mean we can also walk back to the ship or do we need a taxi?

Tom

As I recall you would need a taxi back to the ship. Seems like it was 15 minutes or so by bus. Also, keep in mind that it can be very hot. We were there in Novmeber and it was about 100 I think.

Good info...............thanks............Tom

• 2 weeks later...
As I recall you would need a taxi back to the ship. Seems like it was 15 minutes or so by bus. Also, keep in mind that it can be very hot. We were there in Novmeber and it was about 100 I think.

How did you get any cash as we cannot buy rupees outside of Indian and would like some for the day we arrive in the port were there lots of cash machines and were they ok?

seahappy08

We spent three weeks in India in late 2008. We used ATMs to get rupees. We knew we would be back in 2009, so we took some home with us for last year.

Thanks for the information some sites said the ATMS didn't always work but good to hear you didn't have problems.

Lynda

Thanks for the information some sites said the ATMS didn't always work but good to hear you didn't have problems.

Lynda

While I am sure that some ATMs have problems at times, we did not have any. I don't remember anyone in our group (15 people including us) having any trouble.

We bought Rupees in Shanghai at the currency exchange in the mall beside the ship - The ATMs are another choice .

We used MumbaiMagic.com and it is worth every penny - you are picked up at the ship - taken to Elephanta Island via ferry - returned to the Gateway of India and into the Taj hotel, driven to lunch stop (delicious) the a city tour of the whole area, taken back to the ship - all inclusive including water on bus, lunch, ferry, etc. Came to about $55 per person

Great 1 day tour, if you have longer, add more things to see - Deepa is great to work with.

M.A.

• 1 month later...
Will be Mumbi APRIL for overnight Brilliance of Sea's.have read all messages,can you let know ,any taxi's at port that take people on trips, or is it worth while doing a ships,toure. thank you Paul.

Yes, there were taxis at the port when we were there in 2009

Archived