kids dress code for MDR

susq2

Every one has addressed the formal night dress code for adults, but what about an 11yo boy on casual nights. Are dressy shorts (like plaids, not sport shorts) acceptable with a collared polo or plain T-shirt (not splashy)? I'm packing now for Fridays departure and realized "my son has no acceptable clothes!!!" :eek: Help! Do I really need to fit in "full price" spring shopping in before we leave? :confused: Thanks.

Dress code for kids is the same as adults---unless the kids are babies/toddlers. You don't need formalwear for them or long pants for infants! But, an 11 yo should have long pants for dinner. Don't forget--he can wear a pair more than once--no one will care or notice! He'll have them on for dinner, and then can go change back into shorts, if he wants. Polo/golf shirt is better than a tee, unless there's no "message" on the tee!

Uh oh...good luck with this thread. ;) If it gets out of hand, come on over to the Family Board and we can help you. :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

To answer your question....yes, the kids are to wear what the adults wear. So if there is "no shorts" requested in the dining room, then that goes for the 11 year old too.

Can you grab one pair of kahki pants before you leave?

An 11 yo boy on formal night should minimally wear Docker-type pants and a collared shirt with or without a tie. He can get away without wearing a suit or jacket because of his age. However, shorts are never appropriate in the dining room for dinner, even dress shorts, and especially not on formal night.

Every one has addressed the formal night dress code for adults, but what about an 11yo boy on casual nights. Are dressy shorts (like plaids, not sport shorts) acceptable with a collared polo or plain T-shirt (not splashy)? I'm packing now for Fridays departure and realized "my son has no acceptable clothes!!!" :eek: Help! Do I really need to fit in "full price" spring shopping in before we leave? :confused: Thanks.

Well, technically, shorts aren't supposed to be allowed in the MDR, but if you grab him a couple of pairs of khaki pants, that would be perfectly acceptable. Also, I would stick with a collared "polo" type shirt over a T shirt. That's kind of the baseline to make sure that you have no problem gaining entrance to the MDR.

I have seen men in "nice" shorts being turned away from the MDR. I don't know if they'd be as strict on an 11 year old, but better safe than sorry, unless you want to eat in the Windjammer every night. :)

An 11 yo boy on formal night should minimally wear Docker-type pants and a collared shirt with or without a tie. He can get away without wearing a suit or jacket because of his age. However, shorts are never appropriate in the dining room for dinner, even dress shorts, and especially not on formal night.

She was asking about "Casual Nights" not formal nights. ;)

But I agree, he still should get a pair of pants.

Op, I would consider a thrift store for your son's needs. You may just find exactly what you are looking for for a few dollars.

Have a Great Cruise.

Wish I was going too :)

We were just on the Liberty last week and my 12 year old son as well as my 17 and 20 year old sons all wore Dockers and a golf type shirt for dinner every night except for formal nights where they all wore suits. I think that they each brought two pairs of pants - one tan and one dark blue and a few shirts to match.

I would check some local childrens resale shops for some pants. He can re-wear them with different polo type shirts so I would only buy 2 or maybe 3.

I gotta say though that I can't believe you are leaving on Friday and just realizing your son doesn't have the proper clothes. I don't mean this to sound mean, it's just that I have been talking about the dress code on the ship to my kids for over a year! My kids are so sick of talking about the cruise! They just want to get on it!

Have fun on your cruise!

On our Hawaii Cruise this Oct, we had two families come into the dining room with their small children. The two little boys, were always in long pants and a nice shirt. their ages were 5 & 7 roughly, the little girl was always in a lovely little dress and was photographed several times on formal night.

Casual nights for kids-

I have a 7 y.o. girl. Are capris okay on non-formal nights for her? I feel bad b/c last cruise I had her in jean capris on casual nights. Maybe that was not such a good idea???

Capris are fine for adults too. Just pair them with a nice top, dressier shoes and you're all set!

I agree, a quick trip to Walmart is all you need to get a few pair of inexpensive pants for your son. My son, now 13 bring a pair of khakis and a dark pair of pants (both from walmart, he just grows way to fast to put money into them) and a few polo shirts. He mixes them up for dinner during the cruise. Since he only wears them at dinner and changes back to his shorts right after, they make it for the week just fine!

For the girls nice capris are fine for casual night!

Capris are fine for adults too. Just pair them with a nice top, dressier shoes and you're all set!

No they're not. They shouldn't even be worn for gardening where no one will see you.:eek:

Before anyone gets thier knickers in a knot, my opinion has nothing to do with what to or not to wear in the dining room. I just don't like the look of capris. ;)

On anyone.:p

Sorry.:)

Just got back from 12 night cruise on EOS with 8 yr old son who wore smart 3/4 length shorts on "casual" nights in the MDR with a smart short sleeved collared shirt and we had no problems! I never let him wear shorts on the "smart casual" nights though he always wore lightweight trousers!

dont sweat it. get a cheap pair and they can wear them. I really would not stress too much. You will see shorts in the MDR on formal night. Staff will not keep you from entering. If they do, they lose the tip. I am sure some have seen people not be allowed to go in on formal night, but I have never seen it.

On a RCL Cruise, a family appeared in shorts on Formal Night, the maitre'd stopped and talked with them for sometime, but finally allowed them in. Except for a few looking, it didn't stop people from enjoying their evening. As mentioned go to Walmart or Target even and pick up some inexpenisve slacks and you'll be fine.

Archived